When your photo lab won't redo an order

photop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I received a baby book order back from WHCC and thought how muddied the images looked (the whites were looking quite dull and gray and the light in the baby's eyes gone) so I called right away to express my concern and the customer service rep said to take pics and send them. So I took pics of the order screen then the corresponding pages in the book to show the differences. The rep said the order was done within the realms of tolerance and they would give me a discount on remake, allowing me to make changes on my end. When I tried to reason she was unbending. I have several book albums done by WHCC and been extremely pleased. Years ago they redid an album with color issues...virtually no questions asked so I expected the same treatment this time. Comments/thoughts anyone on how to handle this? The image on the left is original and on the write is out of the book.

Attachments

• 0061-035s.jpg
    0061-035s.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7228.png
    IMG_7228.png
    202 KB · Views: 49
Since they're "unbending" your choice is to follow their procedure and pay for a new book with a discount or go elsewhere.

Since this is the second time you had a problem, it could be that the photos were not prepared in a way that meets their publishing requirements. There's is a lot of preference as to what's "normal". Maybe you have to tell them not to use auto adjustments. But then your photos have to be adjusted at home exactly in a certain way. I would check their procedures again and talk to their technical people for advice so you don't repeat the problem. Do the same if you switch publishers. Good luck.

That book page is unacceptable compared to the original no matter what auto adjustments are being made. I'd move on to another publisher in the future.

For this book, based on your previous experience, I would use the HUCA method of getting what I want (hang up call again). Sometimes it's really all about the customer service rep you get. You can usually tell within the first minute of the call if the person will be helpful. I have been known to fake a knock at the door to get off the phone then call back and hope for someone else. If you get the same response, ask for a supervisor/manager. I doubt the cust service rep has the final say. You should not have to pay for another book even with a discount.

Thank you both so much for your responses! I appreciate your feedback! I will take your advice and speak to someone about the technicalities. Also, I did call back and talk to someone different who was nice and will run some test prints for me. Thank you again for your support!

I have never had a problem with WHCC and switched to them after numerous other pros praised them at a PPA annual meeting.

I had a similar experience with a large online lab. They told me that they automatically applied their proprietary color correction unless they were specifically told not to. They would not redo the order either. I use Professional Photo Printing & Photo Gifts | Nations Photo Lab super nice people. I've only had one problem with them and they replaced it no questions asked. They also supply the ICC profiles for their products so I can soft proof my images, before I send them.

Hard to tell since we seem to be looking at a copy on your phone which seems darker/less detail. Good idea Smoke to get that info. from the store/lab. I mostly print my own, or have had some done by a gallery.

A little followup, WHCC also offers profiles for download. Soft proofing to their profile should give you a finished product that matches your screen. Just be sure you they don't apply color correction on their end to a proofed file.

In the absence of lab profiles I always proof to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 rather than sRGB for a more consistent color.

Vintage, I agree, I do all my own prints on a printer the size of a piano in my living room. Told the lady friend if she dated a pianist, he would have a piano in the living room, I have a printer. Besides immediate turnaround, doing my own printing with custom profiles for each paper/printer combination gives me prints that EXACTLY match the lengthy editing I did on the monitor. Of course, if the paper can't hold the extreme colors, relative colormetric will change those extreme colors but everything else is dead on. Since I do portraits, skin tones must be accurate and clothing color can be chosen. WHCC not only has their profile available, they will give you several test prints to be sure you are dialed in.

I'm also a print my own guy, (but then I've always been a do it myself guy with just about everything). If I'm not happy with it, I just redo it until I am. :chuncky:

I'm also a print my own guy, (but then I've always been a do it myself guy with just about everything). If I'm not happy with it, I just redo it until I am. :chuncky:
With IOne studio setting monitor brightness (if that is off it is like adding water to paint it changes the color) then using custom profiles for each printer and paper, I can count on the print matching what I envisioned and edited. Used to take more than a dozen prints chasing my tail and still never nailed it. Now I just hit print.

Most reactions

Back