Where do I start?

Thank you for the reply though I do not apprciate the rudeness :) I am french so my english spelling and grammar is not the best, should I have opened up with that? On another note, I never said I wanted to open my own business. Infact I dont, I just was wondering how I should go about getting my name out when it does come the time. But I do thank you for your taking the time to reply!
Hi, Miilovely. Advertising can be very expensive, so investigate various media before spending a lot of money. Get some business cards printed and keep some with you at all times. Word of mouth from friends and happy clients is very good, but don't make anyone dissatisfied with your work.Thank you for explaining your language skills.

Je vous remercie! Beaucoup de gens disent d'entrer dans ma photographie est tout simplement obtenir votre nom là-bas par des amis et la famille. Je vais essayer de mon mieux et j'espère que mes amis et le reste de ma famille va m'aider dans mon cheminement dans la photographie :)

Find local business' like restaraunts and other gathering places that are willing to use your images for decoration (or even for sale).
Contact local camera clubs that put together image showings.

Thank you all for the replies! Also Sm4him I do know photography is something I want to do 100%. I use to model for a few years and I have been on the other side of the camera using it, I just never had a nice camera myself :) I do know I will really have to practice practice practice but I will be mosting my photography here for critque once I get my camera! Thank youu <3

this just doesn't make sense. just because you have been photographed, doesn't mean you will be good at TAKING photographs. you're really minimizing the most important part, which is developing the skills and mastering the art of photography. you don't know whether you will have the ability or aptitude to be a good photographer. and you won't know until you actually do it, if you enjoy it. I enjoy hearing music but I'll never have the ability to be a singer. ever. You should be shooting for years and developing your skills, if you have an aptitude for this technically and creatively challenging art form. Only then should you be thinking about whether to turn this activity into a business or not. Some people find that trying to make a living at photography takes all the joy out of it for them. Also, business skills are an entirely different skill set from photography. Many photographers and artists flounder because while they have creative skills, they don't have any sort of aptitude for business. If you're talking about this as a career without any experience or knowledge of your aptitude or abilities, that already reflects a lack of insight as to what goes into the art and science of photography and business.

Could you please clarify something for me OP? You say you want to get into the business but not have a business (or words to that effect). What exactly do you mean? Do you want to work as a photographer for a large company, or as your own boss, or what? Regardless, heed the advice about slowing down! Learn to use your camera, learn the "rules" of composition, how to manipulate light, and most importantly, how to produce consistant results and devleop a "style". The business side is a whole 'nother thing, which requires BUSINESS knowlege... walk before you run.

Wish you good luck. I start 4 years ago from nothing. Now, I will be shooting my first paid wedding in Aug and second in Sept. I did a lot of free work to friends, friend's friends, family, and .... People recommended me to their friends and families, that's how I started to get business. I am still moving up and have a long way to go compare to those pro who shoot 25 - 50 weddings a year.
hope you will do well in future:thumbup:

Have you tried contacting some of the photographers that you have worked with? They might be a better resource than a general photo forum. I have come across many former models who have turned into photographers. Just as many actors become directors, as a model you learn more about photography than most people think. Life is short, do what you want. Just try to be great at it :)

Have you tried contacting some of the photographers that you have worked with? They might be a better resource than a general photo forum. I have come across many former models who have turned into photographers. Just as many actors become directors, as a model you learn more about photography than most people think. Life is short, do what you want. Just try to be great at it :)

I would think that those other photographers are still going to tell her to actually get a camera and take photos first. she doesn't even have a camera or know how to use one yet. it's a little soon to think about going into business. shouldn't she see if she has any aptitude for it? or if she even enjoys it?

Work for a LONG time on mastering all the technical elements of photography if you want to ever be truly great. Any fool can pick up a camera and press the shutter, but it takes mastery of all the fundamentals before you even think of shooting for pay.

Exposure triangle (ISO, shutter speed, aperture), lighting, composition, perspective, posing, your unique creative style, and of course photoshop/Lightroom expertise (which takes a lot of practice) and lastly you need to know your equipment inside and out, every last feature. That camera should be an extension of your hand and your brain.

Oh, and for God's sake, please don't even think about going into business unless you have a complete and sound business plan. The last thing this industry needs is another average "wedding and portraits" photographer.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice everyone! and for the record I have taken pictures before.. maybe not with a camera like a Nikon D4 but I have used my friends camera before (Nikon D90 yes with different lenses etc etc) Thought I am still learning the indepth skills of what it takes to become a photographer, what ISO works best in what light, what lens to use to take a picture of a tiny bug I find or what telescophic(spelling?) lens to use trying to capture a bird flying in the air along with the right shutter speed Id need to set it as.) etc etc. Again, I know I am running a marathon before I can even walk, but I just like to have a little general knowledge of every aspect of something I am getting into lol. Its just something I do, I dont mean to be offending anyone who spent years and years taking photos before looking at the general business of getting their name out in the world I just like to do my research thats all lol and I like to read about how others got into it, yeah know? So thank you everyone who replied <3

Most reactions

New Topics

Back