Where do you like to purchase your equipment?

ispy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started thinking about this because I am planning on purchasing a Nikon D5100 in the next few days. Amazon reviews show some issues with sticking shutters and spots on the sensor, and of greater concern to me, bad customer/warrenty service at Nikon. The problem is most likely with a small minority of the cameras, but just in case I plan to buy accidental insurance. Sometimes accidental insurance does not cover warrenty issues, but Best Buy says theirs does and that they handle repairs themselves. Problem solver, except I've heard Best Buy is struggling, and their insurance won't do me any good if they close down in 6 months. Decisions, decisions.

So, with that aside, where is your favorite place to buy cameras and equipment? Do you buy at local camera stores? Go with Amazon (one of my favorites for many things), or big box stores like Best Buy?

If I order on-line it's usually Adorama. If I am in NYC I prefer to go into the B&H store.
Really it is just a matter of flipping a coin. They're both excellent. They're the top two retailers for camera gear in the US

B&H without a doubt, have easily spent $40k with them over the years and they never disappoint.

B&H. No other.

Don't let reports of 'problems with the D5100' deter you from making a purchase. The web is for many a place to rant, they get a faulty piece of equipment and then they go to every web site they can think of to rant about it. Far fewer will go a rave about what a great piece of gear they got when the product works right out of the box and does everything it's supposed to do. There is a far greater number of perfectly good D5100's out there than faulty ones.

As for Best Buy insurance, look at the percentage of purchase price this cost. Its some of the most expensive insurance on the planet. Wherever you buy your D5100 I'd bet dollars to toothpicks you'll get a good one. If not, just return it and get another one.

I prefer the local brick-n-mortar store. Especially for high-$ stuff

But sometimes, they either don't carry what I want, or they're way overpriced on what they do have. This is usually true for the 'little" things. So I go on-line for that stuff.

On occasion, I'll deal with a forum member, or Craigslist, if it's something I really don't NEED, I just WANT. Then I can go into auto-pilot and wait for a good price to float by.

As for Best Buys insurance, is it actually BB insurance, or are they simply selling a 3rd-party policy?

where is your favorite place to buy cameras and equipment?

From people that list lenses on ebay, described by the brand of filter on the front of the lens + thread diameter. :)
From Power Sellers with a least 3% negative feedback, in the last month. :)
From people on ebay that list items as 'in excellent condition, apart from ...." :)

Adorama, KEH, craigslist, ebay, local shops (freestyle, samys)... mostly it depends what i'm buying

BHPHOTO ADORAMA

ebay, craigslist

EBay and Craigslist for glass. BH for most everything else. Glass is pretty easy to evaluate the quality of, and doesn't really degrade over time. Buy used and you'll be able to sell it for about what you paid. Bodies you might as well buy new, because when you sell you'll get only a fraction of what you paid, regardless of whether or not you bought new or used. And bodies and other gear have issues that are easier to go undetected that I like the certainty of bought as new warranties from authorized dealers for.

For bodies and lenses, a reputable brick and mortar store. Everything else B&H.

Depends on what. A lot through BH if I have the cash.
For stuff I need then and there I go to my local "molers cameras"

I bought my 7D from best buy because my dad had a credit card there with no interest. Some here and there things have been purchased here also.

Most reactions

Back