Where should the subject look?

in2thewild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I'm confused about a few things in photography. Can you help?

1. Should the subject look at the camera or not? I've read online that for portraits it's good not to look straight at the camera but there seems to be some debate on this.

2. Is a headshot of a person a boring person or does it depend on their expression?

Thanks!

JMO - It all depends on what, why and who the portrait is for. If it's between you and a model where you have freedom, have some fun and try different things to see what works.

Take a look at many of these. Pinterest

1. Unless it's a "special purpose" portrait (eg a corporate CEO headshot), I generally tell people to look at my shoulder. This keeps them looking toward the camera, but usually avoids that "staring down the lens" look.

2. Headshots are just like any other image; they're only as boring or as exciting as you, the photographer, make them. If the subject isn't the most animated of people, then tell a few jokes, get them talking, show them how you want them to appear.

in2thewild said:
Hi,
I'm confused about a few things in photography. Can you help?

1. Should the subject look at the camera or not? I've read online that for portraits it's good not to look straight at the camera but there seems to be some debate on this.

2. Is a headshot of a person a boring person or does it depend on their expression?

Thanks!

Look at the camera? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, with everything from an intense, direct stare right AT the lens, to above the lens, to over the camera, to something behind the camera's plane, at time looking upward; this depends on the angle of the fcer that is being shown, and how much white of the eye you want to see, and what the idea or mood is for the photo.

To me the term headshot is a specific thing, for actors and politicians...for people who tell really convincing, totally made-up stories, with words that other people have written for them. The goal is to get the person to look a certain way, to show off their best qualities, to project some type of "aura".

The thing about shooting portraits is that real, genuine expressions of emotion can be tricky to capture unless you have the soft skills, the people-skills, to know how to work with people. You want to get past the fake smile and the picture face that many people automatically trot out every time a camera is pointed at them. You need to know how to relate to people, but sometimes, what you need to do is to get the subject almost exhausted, and they will let their real, true self out for a few moments, and you'd better be shooting at that time, when it happens.

One old adage is that a subject looking AWAY allows us to intently stare at the subject, in a voyeuristic manner without feeling any sense of shame; if the subject is not looking toward the camera, we can, without any culturally-imposed guidelines, feel free to minutely inspect the person. This is why there are so many very compelling portraits, where the subject is NOT looking toward the camera, but is instead looking away.

Alternately, in some types of business headshots, you'll see that TV news people for example, have pubby's where they look right at the viewer--just as they do when they deliver the news or weather. THis allows us to see a good smile, good, white teeth, smart makeup, great groomink, and so on, as well as a good "I am trusthworthy! I am genuine!" expression.

It is good, imo, to give people a specific point to look at.
There seems to be some difference in the face when people are intent on something ratehr than just idling gazing.

If the subject is centered have them look at the camera (or person behind the camera). If they are placed off-centre, have them look into the 'empty' area of the picture.

First question from me is always "What 's the reason for this photo?" It could be needed for an ID card or a fun shot for friends. Then I'll ask what they want in a photo. Want to look younger? Wiser? Older? artistic? whatever.
For me this is not art, it's an effort to meet the needs and desires of a client. I'll try different looks and go with what they like the best. My job is to have the photographic skills to make the pictures the clients want.

Hi,
OK, great advice. Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep them in mind and post a few photos on the forums to see which ones work / don't. It's good to have some guidelines :)

There seems to be some difference in the face when people are intent on something ratehr than just idling gazing.

It depends on what aspect of the subjects personality you are trying to bring out in the photograph.

Before you ask your model or subject to look in any direction you need to think about their personality. Try reading the personality of your subject. Also engage with that person by talking to them so you can bring their eyes to life.

Getting your subject to look directly into the camera can have very different results depending on whether they are laughing or serious. Looking away from the camera can instill a sense of distance or seriousness.

What should you do? It all depends on your subject and what you want the image to say about that person. Try playing around with the camera and how you engage with your subjects to see what results you get. In short there is not right or wrong answer, it's very subjective. I hope this helps!

There are no rules. It is all a matter of what you want to convey.
True, but a few general guidelines never hurt! ;)
general guidelines are crippling and lead to boring cliched photos.
To the OP: the subject should look wherever you want the subject to look.
Experiment and find your own style.

In their wallet? ;)

Most reactions

Back