Which 645 do you suggest

abhishekdg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
HI friends,

I have recently got a bronica SQ AI with the 80mm , 50mm and the 200 mm lens set. After having picked up the medium format, I have hardly touched my Leica M2 as I am now so more interested in landscapes and the great viewfinder just makes the entire process so very magical.
But its heavy and I want something that I can shoot handheld and hence looking at the 6x45 as they are lighter than my 6x6.

Thinking of selling my Leica M2 and the voigtlander 40mm for a 645 medium format. But the questions is which one :-

1. Mamiya Pro TL or AFD.
2. Bronica ETRSI
3. Pentax 645 Nii.

I am leaning towards the mamiya as I want someday to get a digital back down the years.
Please let me know your views on the same.

I like the handling of the Pentax 645 BUT I don't like that it doesn't have backs....

Pentax 645D is priced pretty reasonably too.

Have you considered 6x7 or something a little larger frame than the 645?

Thanks Usayit for the info.. Well i did check on the 67 ones but felt like that the handholding of the 67 will be difficult. As a result would like to have a 645.
However, the one medium format if I have loved the most out of all these 3 is the pentax 645Nii. However, the fact that i cant use a digital back in the future is a little bit concerning for me to invest in the system.
If I had the money for the 645D , it would have been my first choice.. I am looking forward to shoot with the 645 for a year or 2 before getting a digital back..

It's too bad that your SQ lenses won't work with the ETRS 645; it would be a no-brainer to pick up a good Bronica 645 body and you'd be all set. But I will say that I am a fan of the Bronica 645 ETRS. I picked up one last summer and I've just got the 75mm and 150mm lenses but I'm looking for a decent 40mm to, more or less, complete the package. Mine has the metered prism finder and I have found that it's very easy to shoot hand-held in almost any situation. Parts and accessories are relatively cheap and plentiful as well. They are rugged and reliable in my experience. Don't know about the others you mentioned. I almost bought a Mamiya RB67 but it felt heavy and awkward hand held after a short test period. The smaller Mamiya 645 is a fine piece of photographic equipment though. When I want to go 6x6 I pull out my 1951 Rolleiflex !

HI friends,

I have recently got a bronica SQ AI with the 80mm , 50mm and the 200 mm lens set. After having picked up the medium format, I have hardly touched my Leica M2 as I am now so more interested in landscapes and the great viewfinder just makes the entire process so very magical.
But its heavy and I want something that I can shoot handheld and hence looking at the 6x45 as they are lighter than my 6x6.

Thinking of selling my Leica M2 and the voigtlander 40mm for a 645 medium format. But the questions is which one :-

1. Mamiya Pro TL or AFD.
2. Bronica ETRSI
3. Pentax 645 Nii.

I am leaning towards the mamiya as I want someday to get a digital back down the years.

Honestly? I'd stop worrying about a digital back for a MF film camera. I think full-frame DSLRs like the Nikon D800--and others to come--are delivering more MP/$ and superb IQ faster than digital backs will any time soon. The Mamiya 645 Pro/ProTL and Bronica ETRSi systems are great value now. Why not just shoot and enjoy them as film cameras? Keep in mind you won't saving a great deal of weight with either of these over an SQ-Ai. If you do go with the Bronica or Mamiya 645, budget for a manual speed grip(Bronica) or a power winder(Mamiya 645). The ergonomics of these cameras handheld are greatly improved with accessory grips, especially when taking vertical(portrait)-oriented shots.

HI friends,

1. Mamiya Pro TL or AFD.
2. Bronica ETRSI
3. Pentax 645 Nii.

Honestly? I'd stop worrying about a digital back for a MF film camera. I think full-frame DSLRs like the Nikon D800--and others to come--are delivering more MP/$ and superb IQ faster than digital backs will any time soon. The Mamiya 645 Pro/ProTL and Bronica ETRSi systems are great value now. Why not just shoot and enjoy them as film cameras? Keep in mind you won't saving a great deal of weight with either of these over an SQ-Ai. If you do go with the Bronica or Mamiya 645, budget for a manual speed grip(Bronica) or a power winder(Mamiya 645). The ergonomics of these cameras handheld are greatly improved with accessory grips, especially when taking vertical(portrait)-oriented shots.

I own a D800 and it's a stupendous camera.

But it is NOT a medium format camera. It really is all about the lens and the sensor size.

If you want that special MF look your best bet is to get a Hassy and save for a digital back that will fit it.

Do not get one of the "H" series thinking that it's a classic Hasselblad, these are Fuji cameras and lenses- great cameras but they are Not Hasselblads.

HI friends,

1. Mamiya Pro TL or AFD.
2. Bronica ETRSI
3. Pentax 645 Nii.

But it is NOT a medium format camera. It really is all about the lens and the sensor size.

If you want that special MF look your best bet is to get a Hassy and save for a digital back that will fit it.

Do not get one of the "H" series thinking that it's a classic Hasselblad, these are Fuji cameras and lenses- great cameras but they are Not Hasselblads.

Funny but those non-classic, Fuji-made H series "Hasselblad" poseurs with digital backs seem to be getting a lot of work in fashion, editorial and advertising...

Funny but those non-classic, Fuji-made H series "Hasselblad" poseurs with digital backs seem to be getting a lot of work in fashion, editorial and advertising...

As I said, they are great cameras but the don't have that "Zeiss" look.

Neither one is 645 though.

I brought up the Hassies because they are pretty lite and digital backs can be had fairly easily. And .. Zeiss! This from someone who owns 2 RB67 kits.

I'm surprised i'm the first one to suggest a Contax 645....

I brought up the Hassies because they are pretty lite and digital backs can be had fairly easily. And .. Zeiss! This from someone who owns 2 RB67 kits.

The H series is 645--film or digital on early models. Fujinon glass isn't exactly sub-par, or appreciably sub-Zeiss according to Hasselblad. I'm not seeing much bargain pricing on digital backs worth the bother.

The Fujinon lenses are super-duper sharp, no question. What they lack though is character. They're very clinical. Than again, most people shooting an H-series camera are generally looking for clincial.

The H series is 645--film or digital on early models. Fujinon glass isn't exactly sub-par, or appreciably sub-Zeiss according to Hasselblad. I'm not seeing much bargain pricing on digital backs worth the bother.

Sorry, I must have spaced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own one though.

Without reading through all of these... I recently (a month or two ago) got a Fuji GA645zi and am LOVING it for shooting medium format easily :) The KEH Outlet on ebay had another listed today I noticed too!

Most reactions

Back