Which Camera for Fashion Shoot

dario77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi ,
my wife has a etsy clothes shop and now wants to take pictures with blurred ( BOKEH ) back grounds . The pictures don't have to be pro standard but good enough that they are nice .
I am looking to purchase a camera and a lens to achieve these pictures . I have a limited budget of $800. With the little research I have done . I have came to the conclusion that these camera fit the bill . I looking to purchase new camera not second hand .

Olympus om 5 mark 2 or Olympus om 10 mark 2

Lens Olympus M.Zuiko ED 45mm F1.8

I live in Thailand and can pick om5 mark 2 with lens for $790 , om 10 mark 2 $690 plus has kit lens . If you can think of a better set up please let me know in leyman terms because I have no idea about cameras .

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

No
The Olympus camera+lens combo might work, but for shallow Depth of Field (DoF), you are choosing the wrong camera system.
A micro 4/3 camera will have a greater DoF than an APS-C/crop camera, which in turn has a greater DoF than a full-frame (FF) camera.

Problem, FF cameras will be the most expensive, and out of your budget. The body alone will be over your budget, then you still need the lens.

An APS-C/crop camera (such as Nikon D3400 or Canon SL2) with a 50mm f/1.8 lens may fit the requirement, and be under $800.
The Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 is less than $100, and cheaper than the Nikon or Canon 50mm lens.

Problem. Shooting in daylight you are unlikely to be able to shoot at f/2.
As I calculate it: ISO=200, f/16 at 1/200 sec. To get down to f/2, your shutter speed has to be up at 1/12,000 sec.
Many cameras will NOT get to an exposure that you can shoot at f/2.
You need to shoot in subdued lighting/shade or indoors, to get the shutter speed down where you can get the exposure at f/2.

No
The Olympus camera+lens combo might work, but for shallow Depth of Field (DoF), you are choosing the wrong camera system.
A micro 4/3 camera will have a greater DoF than an APS-C/crop camera, which in turn has a greater DoF than a full-frame (FF) camera.

Problem, FF cameras will be the most expensive, and out of your budget. The body alone will be over your budget, then you still need the lens.

An APS-C/crop camera (such as Nikon D3400 or Canon SL2) with a 50mm f/1.8 lens may fit the requirement, and be under $800.
The Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 is less than $100, and cheaper than the Nikon or Canon 50mm lens.

Problem. Shooting in daylight you are unlikely to be able to shoot at f/2.
As I calculate it: ISO=200, f/16 at 1/200 sec. To get down to f/2, your shutter speed has to be up at 1/12,000 sec.
Many cameras will NOT get to an exposure that you can shoot at f/2.
You need to shoot in subdued lighting/shade or indoors, to get the shutter speed down where you can get the exposure at f/2.

I have decided to go for the Canon 800d or 70d with Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and Yongnou 35mm f 2 .Do you think this is a good set up for me .

I have decided to go for the Canon 800d or 70d with Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and Yongnou 35mm f 2 .Do you think this is a good set up for me .

Dario, that set-up will work fine for you.
BUT, if you're not opposed to buying used I would look at a used Canon 5Dmkll and a 50mm 1.4 lens. An 85mm 1.8 is a better portrait lens but you need a lot more distance for some fashion shots like full body.
You may need a good ND filter to shoot wide open in daylight to use a lens pretty wide open to deal with the bright light.
A Full Frame camera shows MORE of the blurred background than the Crop Cameras you're looking at.
Both will eventually do the job but you need to be even FARTHER away with the Crop camera and the same lens!!
God luck with your choices!!!
SS

to take pictures with blurred ( BOKEH ) back grounds

Can you describe how you are going to take the photo especially the place/environment?

The distance between subject and background as well as camera and subject is a important factor. If the background is very close to the subject, then even with a 50mm f/1.8 shooting at f/1.8 may not able to *blur* the background much especially if you are taking a full body shot where you need to increase the camera to subject distance.

I'd look for a used Nikon D700 or Canon 5D. These are FF 12mp cameras that have taken some fantastic photos over the years. A used body in excellent condition will run around $500.00 and there is plenty of used FF glass around to get you in under 1K. Talk to the folks at KEH or MPB and tell them what you are going to use it for. They can probably set you up with what you need.

Last edited:
With an 85mm lens to get a framing that is 8.47 feet tall: With a Canon APS-C camera with 1.6x FOV factor; you MUST BE 35 feet away.
With the SAME 85mm lens shot on a FF Canon or an FX Nikon, the SAME 8.47 foot tall photo requires you to be 20 feet away.

I suggest you to go for Sony Alpha 6000 as this is the latest camera launched by Sony and comes with latest technology that anyone professional can wish for.

Sure it has the latest tech but that is true of all just announced electronics until the next new one is announced and comes out. The key is you still have to know how to use it. A pro can make just as good of an image with a 10 year old camera and glass as they can with newest most expensive kit.

All of the camera systems listed can achieve the images you are looking for.
The practical differences really aren't that huge. 20 vs 35 feet still means you'd be outside so who cares. Now if you state this is for a small room/studio where distance is key. Full frame is the easiest to do. If it's outside I can get almost the exact same bokeh and image with any sensor you want to give me. I'd just have to adjust how I shoot it.
If you are new to photography, you don't have the sensor size preference or shooting style engrained in you so it really doesn't matter as much.

I suggest you to go for Sony Alpha 6000 as this is the latest camera launched by Sony and comes with latest technology that anyone professional can wish for.

Useless post unless you can quantify how this camera will do a better job. Anything short of that just shows "Fanboy".

I said it before, i will say it again.

A camera is a dark box.
the concept here is the LENS!

Sorry, but my opinion on this is simple: The bokeh regardless of format size is determined by the use of the lens.

I have decided to go for the Canon 800d or 70d with Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and Yongnou 35mm f 2 .Do you think this is a good set up for

I have the 800D (T7i) and the nifty fifty (50mm 1.8). This will work and stay within your budget. It has a built in flash but if you decide to use it I would bounce it with a sheet of paper (this only works inside and will have varied results).

Someone advised a used 5D Mark II. If you can swing that, or a used 6D, and the 85 f 1.8 I thing you will find the results to be excellent.

Either way I think you will achieve your goal.

There are several factors that determine a better camera for a fashion photoshoot. Considering overall Canon EOS-5DMarkIII is one of the most popular cameras for fashion shooting
Recommended camera lens: Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back