Which camera is the best for new born photography (studio) ?

You need to get good at knowing how to use a camera in a variety of situations and lighting conditions before you can get to the point of being ready to do professonal photo sessions.

Also my background is working with babies and toddlers and many videos out there are showing techniques that are not necessarily appropriate for newborns. Yes, often an adult's hand is photoshopped out of the pictures, but the poses still are often ways that newborns should not be positioned. If you're determined to do this, at least let the parents do the positioning/handling and only use positions that would be consistent with what first time parents would be told by medical staff.

..what first time parents would be told by medical staff.
You should be more specific, because not every "medical" person knows what to do with babies.

Or children.

I will always remember a repeated experience we had every year: We would take a group of pre-schoolers to the clinic for a learning field trip. The children were already apprehensive, and then some nurse would offer to put the children's finger in a cast. Oh, BOY, then sheer panic set in! I don't know why no nurse ever figured out how to not scare the bejeebers out of kids, but they never did.

[QUOTE="Henno, post: 3771186, member: 221813"I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera

No offense but if you are asking that question you should not even be thinking of starting a photography career or studio.

Try just focusing on learning photography first![/QUOTE]
To learn in professional way all the institution insist to have the camera with you so why to buy the wrong camera from the beginning! Thanks for your time in response

Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
The best choice for one person may not be the best choice for everyone else. The word "best" means you will get many different responses. Based on nothing but reading about photography gear, I would recommend something like the Nikon D810, although the file sizes are huge, the sensor is well suited to portraiture. This camera is expensive, so when you ask for "the best", you're going to get something expensive.

If your budget won't allow for that, then I would recommend the Nikon D700. Even a used copy of this is probably better than many other cameras.

What lens? Ordinarily, I would say a longish lens that renders skin very well, but since newborns cannot stand or sit up, you're going to be slightly above your subjects, looking mostly downward onto them. This means a long lens is going to be a problem. So maybe I would choose something more like a 50mm, such as the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G, for instance. It is fairly good at rendering human skin, but the focal length should be considered as only marginally acceptable. Other lenses could be better, but we really need to know more about you and your budget.

There you have my concise recommendation; a Nikon D700 (used) and a (also used) Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G.

Then get one or more speedlights, some modifiers, light stands, etc., and learn how to use all that stuff.
Thank you a lot for your "best" answer I already have D700 your explanation were very helpful . Thanks again

To learn in professional way all the institution insist to have the camera with you so why to buy the wrong camera from the beginning!

ANY DSLR camera can be used to start learning!

I already have D700

You already have a camera that will work fine for learning.

To learn ANY Dslr will do. There is no "Professional way" to learn photography. But before you even pick up a camera you should understand the basics. Digital Photography Tutorials

Once you understand the basics, then you can make a reasonable choice of what camera system you want to invest in and start to apply those basics. This will neither be easy or quick.

The word Professional in photography only means that someone makes some money from their work. It does not mean they are accomplished. "Professional" photographers are a dime a dozen turning out mediocre work to people that don't want to spend much money. Accomplished photographers are a much rarer breed that turn out competent work on a consistent basis.

I'm trying to come up with the name lf a camera that is incapable of photographing a newborn and I'm not coming up with anything.

I'm trying to come up with the name lf a camera that is incapable of photographing a newborn and I'm not coming up with anything.
"The Newbie" It describes the person on either side of the camera. :allteeth:

fmw said:

Yuppers! Pretty much any decent camera could be used. MY personal preference is toward Nikon cameras and lenses and full-frame sized sensors, due to the way they react with the majority of lenses Nikon has in its lens lineup. But a Canon d-slr, or a Pentax d-slr, or a Sony or Fuji mirrorless camera would be an alright choice too. The majority of newborn pictures are fairly simple images, depending on lighting, and decent baby-positioining and camera-composing. APS-C sized sensors, or smaller, will work. Pretty much any decent camera could be used. Success in the photography depends much,much,much more on the photographer's skill than on what type or model camera that is used.

Keep in mind too, there's this horrific newer business of companies hiring young or inexperienced photographers to work directly **in** hospitals, to take pictures of newly-born infants while the mother and baby are still in the hospital, a day or two after the birth...these leech companies take half or more of the profit, and pay a pittance. This type of business will severely hurt follow-up newborn photography sales for you.

Read through this thread, and see what chuasam mentions: MOST baby photographers are off-season wedding or family photographers, and do these baby shoots as a part of a much larger business, and one built around many contacts and an already-exisiting business relartionship.

OK then, pediatric medical staff... basically don't do something for the sake of a picture if it isn't something you'd do otherwise with a newborn baby.

If someone doesn't have experience handling newborns learn what's appropriate to do. If you're going to use a basket make sure it's large enough for the baby to fit and allow leg movement. If using fabric to wrap a baby it needs to be loose enough to allow for leg movement (and learn proper swaddling techniques before you wrap a baby). Avoid slings and propping a baby on elbows when there isn't yet adequate head control.

Usually it seems to take time to first get good at photography then work toward building a reputation as a photographer. Buying used equipment to start then upgrading could be an option.

Kodak Instant cameras!
Any Disk camera!

To the original poster. You asked the one question that will turn any forum against you. I applaud you to have a desire to do something and is seeking advice to get to what you want to do.

Lets discuss this. You would like to take pictures and make money doing it. Part of your research besides equipment is also about what is the going rate for what you want to do. It may seem easy to take baby pictures, but it's not all fun and games. Some of the other people replying hinted as one of the problems your going to be against. And that's pro photographers who already have equipment and if their are decent, a client list to draw upon for future business. Then you have the part timers with cameras, that also want to make money. They charge less than pros do, and will take what the pros turn down at for lower prices. So, now you competing with 2 groups. Then you have the "family friend" with that "big" camera competition. They like taking pictures and will do it free. Obviously you can't compete with them and make any money. S0, you really do need to research what as a beginner you can charge. Why is this important? Well if you go out and spend $5,000 to $10,000 (that's the cheaper equipment pricing) on camera, lenses, lights, backgrounds, stands, light modifiers, batteries, spare cards, computer. You need to know when you can make your money back on your initial investment in equipment. Let alone pay yourself a wage. And any expenses you have getting to each job. And if you in any average country. Your going to loose some of what you take in money wise, to taxes!

If I take one of your replies correctly and you have a D700. That body is just fine! Do you have some decent lenses around 85mm? Maybe an 85mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8? Both are good portrait lenses. Do you have any Nikon Speedlights? The more you offer in what you have the better people can reply. And what is your experience? We can also suggest where to read up on what subjects to help you along.

Hi all, I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
Thanks

I agree with the other posters, a Canon camera may be the "best" for newborn baby photos but it depends on the lens, lighting, experience, and other factors.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thank you a lot for your "best" answer I already have D700 your explanation were very helpful . Thanks again

I agree with the other posters, a Canon camera may be the "best" for newborn baby photos but it depends on the lens, lighting, experience, and other factors.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Face Palm 4.gif

Most reactions

Back