Which camera is the best for new born photography (studio) ?

No, you can't do that, not with a newborn. Even with a somewhat older baby that would likely be too close for comfort. And if someone's going to use a flash, no, you can't fire it off that close (to anyone's face probably) because of the discomfort of a bright light right in the eyes. Newborns have tiny bodies! They cannot yet (depending on the baby) tolerate as much as they can as they get older.

Didn't I say not using flash?

...using relatively wide angle lenses like 35mm or 28mm on a FF camera. I would photograph at very close distance like 1 or 2 feet from the baby and not using flash....
Sorry, but I'm going to respectfully categorize that as bad advice. First and foremost, 28mm at 2' might do the job, assuming the lens will focus that close (some will, some won't). The major issue is distortion, especially in cheaper, consumer-grade lenses. The child's nose is going to appear disproportionately large. In addition, since you recommend using ambient light, it's entirely likely you will need to shoot wide open. At f1.8, at 2', you DoF on a 28mm lens is about TWO INCHES! Lastly, there is the issue of working so close to the child. I would not be comfortable with someone working 2' away from me, I can't imagine what effect it would have on a child who doesn't really understand what is happening to begin with.
Did I say use f/1.8? I never use f/1.8. More like f/8 or f/11

You did.

...Did I say use f/1.8? I never use f/1.8. More like f/8 or f/11
No, you didn't.

BUT... when you're shooting portraiture, you want a low ISO to ensure the best quality image and at say, ISO 200 or even 400, it's going to be a real challenge to achieve f8 - 11 indoors without supplemental light. All that still doesn't address your suggestion of shooting with a very wide angle from 1-2' away...

I would say that for basic fill light a flash with a small diffuser bounced off the ceiling would work well and not be a bother to the baby. It hasnt bothered any of the babies ive photographed anyway.

However, I also don't shoot wide open because I like more than 2 inches of the subject in focus. I rarely shoot any sort of portrait larger than f5.6 so I need the supplemental lighting.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Electronic flash...the bright light that "lasts" for 1/1500 of a second! Or less!

Yes, you did, but a good photographer will use whatever he needs to get the best results he can. That includes using flash. Of course, you're not going to get the flash right in your subject's eyes, we know that. There are many ways to soften/modify/aim the flash to get excellent results, and far better than without flash.

Yes, you did, but a good photographer will use whatever he needs to get the best results he can. That includes using flash. Of course, you're not going to get the flash right in your subject's eyes, we know that. There are many ways to soften/modify/aim the flash to get excellent results, and far better than without flash.

Any hospital or general office I have been too has had white ceilings. Bouncing should not be a problem. Also most flashes now come with diffuser domes (or can be purchased). Some come with attached bounce cards. Can also use the old stand by and just put a cloth, tissue, white paper over the end of the flash.

Before $100 bounce cards, $35 diffusion domes were sold. It's amazing what a plain white sheet of paper could do!

Hi all, I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera and why?
Thanks

Hey,
Try your hands on Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame, it is designed for professional photography grade. Best in Market according to my suggestion.

[QUOTE="Henno, post: 3771186, member: 221813"I want to start a new career with new born photography any advice? Please help me in choosing the best camera

No offense but if you are asking that question you should not even be thinking of starting a photography career or studio.

Try just focusing on learning photography first![/QUOTE]

Also, and maybe it was mentioned, but newborn photography requires training. Idc how many babies someone has held, posing classes are paramount for this type of portraiture. And insurance. A big insurance plan.

Did anyone notice this thread was originally from June and the OP was "last seen in July?"

Most reactions

Back