Which camera might be best for me?

dempseyjosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! I am thinking of jumping into the photography world. I am here to ask you guys what might fit my needs, because I honestly don't know what fits into my expectations. So i'll go ahead and explain what I want.

I have always been interested in photography and appreciate high quality pictures, but have never gotten around to trying it myself. I have never used anything but a point and shoot camera. I am having a baby in 2 months, and this is something me and my wife would both like to toy around with. I would say that i'm pretty certain that this wouldn't turn into anything on a professional level.

When I do get into something, I usually end up dedicating a lot of time to it. But, since I've never done any photography, I'm worried about it being too much or overwhelming, and that I might end up not really getting into it. I'm not sure if I just want to jump in and buy a beginner type camera like the rebel t3, or spend a little bit more for something I won't grow out of so fast if I do get more into the hobby.

I would probably be most comfortable spending around $500 on a camera, but I could probably be talked into up to $800. So what would be a good camera, that I wouldn't outgrow too fast, but would also be good if it ended up just being used like a regular point and shoot if both me and my wife didn't get into it.

I'm sorry if this leaves it VERY open to too many opinions, I just got tired of aimlessly reading specs and reviews online.

also, is buying used or refurbished something I need to be very careful about, or is this just a good way to save money. It seems I may be able to save a decent amount and/or get something a little higher end going this way. I just don't want to risk getting something defective if that's common.

Being new and not knowing much about photography, I think $800 is too much. If you want quality, you can get a used D300 for under $500 or a D2x for the same. Those are second generation pro bodies more than capable of handling professional quality images and prints up to 16x24 to 20x30. To ease you into the DSLR market more, look at the entry-level or previous generation entry-level DSLRs, such as D3100 for Nikon. They'll be plenty capable of handling any beginner needs. Having the latest and greatest is irrelevant if you're just starting out. It's not as much about specs as it is having a tool with which you can learn and practice photography; any DSLR is capable of being that. I'd rather tell you how to shop for a camera than tell you which one to buy. Whatever you do, look into going used or refurbished to save even more money. The money you save can be put toward education or lenses, which transfer no matter what camera you have. You can read my buying guide here. What you do with the tools are up to you. If you weren't a painter, would you buy the most expensive equipment hoping it would make you better? It wouldn't help. You'd be better off buying basic stuff and taking painting classes. Same applies to photography.

My goal here isn't to get the best equipment that will make me better, it is to avoid having a quick upgrade after my initial investment. I know how in most hobbies there are low-med-high end equipment, with low-high within each of those categories. It seems to me that low level tends to be for very mild use, mid level tends to be enough for most casual people, and high end is professional level with features that a beginner wouldn't understand/get use of. I don't want to jump in low end and wish that I got something better very shortly after. After seeing used prices, I figured that was the way I would go. I haven't read your buying guide yet, but I will now.

also, is buying used or refurbished something I need to be very careful about, or is this just a good way to save money. It seems I may be able to save a decent amount and/or get something a little higher end going this way. I just don't want to risk getting something defective if that's common.

Buying used or refurbished isn't really a bad idea, it just depends on who you buy it from - for your first camera if your going to go refurbished I'd recommend something from a reputable outlet with a warranty - Adorama, KEH and B&H Photo would probably be your best option.

My recommendation based on what you've stated above? A Nikon D3200 with the kit lens. Even purchasing one retail locally from best buy or walmart your looking at around $450-$475, you could probably get one even cheaper if you can find a black friday deal or if you order online and go refurbished.

The reason I recommend the D3200 for you is that it will produce very good quality pictures, and it has a very easy to use guide mode that will allow you to tell the camera what type of picture your taking and it will walk you through things step by step. As you use it more and get a little more practice in you can still eventually switch into using manual modes and setting everything up yourself, but the guide mode I think will be a big advantage for you when you first start out.

Since it sounds like you'll be working indoors at least at first and apparently you've got a pretty decent budget to work with I'd also recommend a good external flash, one that will allow you to rotate the head of the flash so that you can "bounce" it off another surface, this will give you your best results as opposed to using the camera's internal flash.

I know a lot of folks will start off right away recommending this prime lens or that prime lens - but if I were you I'd just buy the camera and kit lens and practice with it first, then once you get a good handle on using them you can start thinking about adding additional lenses based on what you want to do next.

@hirejn
Ok, so I read your guide. It's pretty good, and I understand where you're coming from with it. I used to play paintball at a professional level. I then played on a team that was heavily sponsored to use "entry level" equipment. People were always surprised at the level we could perform with that equipment. I also used to work at a paintball store, and would have to explain that the equipment only helps to a certain extent. I would try to gauge the level of commitment that the new player would have, and guide him to something that would fit his needs for years to come, instead of having him come back for upgrades or new equipment right away.

But you do mention that technology can be more enjoyable to use. Bells and whistles are nice to have. I think a larger screen would be nice to have for us, also being able to shoot video is a must have that my wife will certainly use.

@robbins.photo

thanks for the input. I have seen the d3200 suggested a lot. it looks like I can find it refurbished for 400, and I do like the sound of the guided modes. I have seen the d5200 suggested for in my price range. It looks like that is 600 refurbished.

@hirejn
Ok, so I read your guide. It's pretty good, and I understand where you're coming from with it. I used to play paintball at a professional level. I then played on a team that was heavily sponsored to use "entry level" equipment. People were always surprised at the level we could perform with that equipment. I also used to work at a paintball store, and would have to explain that the equipment only helps to a certain extent. I would try to gauge the level of commitment that the new player would have, and guide him to something that would fit his needs for years to come, instead of having him come back for upgrades or new equipment right away.

But you do mention that technology can be more enjoyable to use. Bells and whistles are nice to have. I think a larger screen would be nice to have for us, also being able to shoot video is a must have that my wife will certainly use.

Me too! PM me if you want to shoot the sh*t about it.

PS. Go with Canon :wink:

@robbins.photo

thanks for the input. I have seen the d3200 suggested a lot. it looks like I can find it refurbished for 400, and I do like the sound of the guided modes. I have seen the d5200 suggested for in my price range. It looks like that is 600 refurbished.

I use a D5100 myself and I love it. It was just the perfect balance of features vrs budget for me. The 5200 wouldn't be a bad choice at all, it has an articulating screen and a better autofocus system, and it shoots just a touch faster (5 frames per second as opposed to 4). The 5200 doesn't have the guide mode but it does have a lot of automatic shooting modes so even though it wouldn't probably be quite as easy to use as the 3200 for a total beginner you could probably pick up the basics pretty quick by going through the manual.

Really you can't go wrong with either choice, probably the best thing to do would be to consider the differences between the two cameras and decide if the features the 5200 offers is worth the price difference for you, and of course maybe look up some youtube videos on the guide mode to see how it functions and see if it's something you think you can do without. But really no wrong answer here - if you think you can live without the guide mode you can take a look at the D5100 as well, it's quite a bit cheaper than the 5200 and it is a very capable camera as well.

I'll definitely have to look into the guide mode on the 3200. I use youtube and forums a lot to learn how to do things, so i'll have to see if the guide mode helps you to understand things like the internet can. Then i'll have to look into the differences between the 5100 and 5200 to see if there is something there that justifies the price difference to me

I'll definitely have to look into the guide mode on the 3200. I use youtube and forums a lot to learn how to do things, so i'll have to see if the guide mode helps you to understand things like the internet can. Then i'll have to look into the differences between the 5100 and 5200 to see if there is something there that justifies the price difference to me

Really the biggest difference there will be the sensor, the D5100 uses a 16 mp sensor, the 5200 uses a 24 mp - and the autofocus system, the 5200 has 39 focus points as opposed to the D5100's 11. I've always found the D5100's autofocus is more than enough for me and my guess is it would suit your needs just fine, as for 16 mp vrs 24 mp unless your doing some really, really large prints odds are good you'll never notice the difference. Opinions vary on that one of course but that's been my experience. Other than that the 5200 also shoots just a touch faster than the 5100 - 5 frames per second as opposed to 4.

If you'd like to see some samples of images taken with a D5100, you can click on the My Flickr link in my signature line, it will take you to my flickr account and you can see some images that were actually taken with a D5100. The vast majority of the stuff in my flickr account was shot with a D5100 and a Nikon 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 Lens.

Since the Canon/Nikon thing's already run its course, I will say this: every camera has its strengths and weaknesses. Make sure you can handle a variety of stuff, and get what YOU think fits YOU best. Also, I'd say throw the Sony Alpha line into consideration-either the a37 or a57/58 could do a great job if that's the camera for you. The best thing about the Sony line, in my opinion, is that Minolta AF lenses are available and DIRT cheap and absolutely fantastic for the price.

I will repeat more or less what was already recommended to you.

In the 500$ your options are Nikon D3200 or Nikon D5100, both good options, the D3200 is more modern and the D5100 has more options and while older it is still a very good capable camera.
In the 800$ price range the D5200 is your best bet.
Is it worth the extra cash ?
I think it is, you are not planning on buying a new camera every year and need to think about the camera you are going to get as something you will have for few years and there is quit the difference when going up to the D5200

You also need to ask yourself what lens you are going to get, lenses is a BIG deal when going into DLSR photography, lenses are a bottle neck for the camera and the better the glass the better the pictures will come out.
My recommendation is start with the kit lens 18-105mm its a very good beginners/medium grade users.
Once you get the camera and learn better how to use it I am sure you will know what other lenses you want/need.

Just to give you an idea here are few lenses you might consider in the future in the more resonable price range scale.

Nikon 50mm 1.8G-for night photography and portraits
Nikon 70-300mm VR for telezoom

Good luck

Thanks for the advice everyone. From where I am right now, I think we are leaning toward the D3200. The guided mode seems like it has something to offer, if not to me, but to my wife as well. The flip out screen is nice on the D5200, but it seemed like that was the only thing that I would use/understand as a new user. That doesn't justify the price difference to me, especially since I would lose the guide mode as well. This will allow me to save a little money that I could possibly try to find a weekend class or workshop for photography.

Gotta agree with everyone above, I started with the d3200 then after a month or two my sister wanted to buy it off me so I used the opportunity to upgrade to the d5200. They are both fantastic bodies and you can go far with either one. The biggest advantage of the d5200 that I appreciate is the auto focus system has 39 points instead of 11 on the d3200 and is far more advanced. Digital Camera and Photo magazine named it best image quality under $1000 which was cool. Though with your budget the d3200 would allow more room for other purchases to augment your shooting experience. Either one is a winner.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back