Which camera next ?

christm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear All,

I have been seriosuly taking photos for around 2 years now and my Canon 350D has been (and still is) great.

However, I'm thinking of upgrading within the next 4 - 6 months.

I have to have a Canon as I generally prefer them and all of my equipment is bought for Canons.

My budget is up to around £800 ($1400 - $1700 I reckon).

Im aiming for a career in Photojournalism and Event Photography includng sports.

It must be a versatile camera - which is not aimed at any particular type of photography i.e. just sports, just very still subjects etc..

My current 350D uses 58mm lens and so the other Canon would have to match this.

I only need the body.

Any help is hugely appreciated and I would be happy to give any more detail if you need it.

Thank you

Chris Temple-Murray
www.templemurray.com

Why are you wanting to upgrade at this time? What are you looking for that your current camera doesn't do?

The newer Rebel, the 450D, might be a good choice for you or you could look at a 40D or 50D. It might be best to save money on the camera and spend more on a good lens, or even just put all your upgrade money into a good lens or two. That will make a bigger difference in your photography than an upgraded camera will.

My current 350D uses 58mm lens and so the other Canon would have to match this
Do you mean that the lens that you have, has 58mm threads on the front?
All Canon EOS cameras are compatible with all Canon EF lenses...and most EOS cameras are compatible with EF-S lenses as well.

Different lenses will fit your camera (and whatever new one) but might have different front thread sizes. I have several lenses with several different thread sizes, they all fit on the same cameras.

If you have 58mm filters that you are worried about, you can get step-up rings so that you can attach filters to different sized lenses, although, if you get a wider lens, you may want to get wider filters as well.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Sorry I meant 58mm threads.

Basically the 350D is great however I'm looking for:

- A higher ISO Range
- A faster shooting rate (FPS)
- A high resolution
- Overall and more professional camera

I have 3 lenses at the moment.

A canon 18-55mm (came with the 350D)

A 70-200mm Sigma

A 70-300mm Sigma (bought around 6 months ago)

I have just been looking at the 50D, its looks very suitable, however I'm looking for advice.

I think the 40D or 50D would be a good upgrade for you. Either one will give you a great ISO range and good performance at high ISO, a really fast shooting rate, more resolution and a bigger (more robust) body.

I'm not sure what you mean by "58mm lens". I assume this is the filter size, since I don't know of any lenses that come in a 58mm focal length. If this is true, then the filter size doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the mount. If your lens is an EF-S lens and you intend to keep using it, you'll need to get an EF-S body (30D, 40D, or 50D). If it's not an EF-S lens then it will work on any digital Canon.

For $1400-1700 you have a few options. You could pick up a 40D or a 50D new, or you could pick up a used 5D.

If your 350D is too slow (FPS) then go with the 40D or the 50D.
If your 350D is fast enough, and your lens isn't EF-S, go with the 5D.

EDIT: Looks like I was way too slow. The 40D or 50D definitely looks like what you want.

Thanks for both your replies.

Whats the main difference between the 5D and 50D, I'm assuming thr 5D is more expensive and mainly for still subjects ?

Whats the main difference between the 5D and 50D, I'm assuming thr 5D is more expensive and mainly for still subjects ?
The 5D has a 'full frame' sensor (the same size as 35mm film)....which is bigger than the 'crop sensors' that you find in the Rebel and XXD cameras. A larger sensor, for the most part, gives you better image quality and the 5D has great image quality. That being said, the 40D and 50D have improvements in technology that help with image quality, so consider that as well. The new 5D mark II will be out very soon, and it should be a good improvement over the 5D (and it can shoot video as well).
I would suggest that you not worry too much about full frame vs crop sensors...but know that if you do get a full frame camera like the 5D, your 18-55mm EF-S lens will not work with it...because EF-S lenses are made for crop cameras only.

The 5D also has a slow(ish) shooting rate (compared to the 40D\50D), so it isn't ideal for sports etc.

Ok, thats really helpful thank you.

It must be able to fit with my current lenses. So the 5D is out of the window especially with the fact that it is less suitable for faster shots.

To be fair, the 5D would work with your other two lenses...and the 18-55mm lens really isn't anything to get attached to. So a 5D and a new wide lens would be a fantastic upgrade. But I still think you would be happier with a 40D/50D, so I think you are on the right track.

To be fair, the 5D would work with your other two lenses...and the 18-55mm lens really isn't anything to get attached to. So a 5D and a new wide lens would be a fantastic upgrade. But I still think you would be happier with a 40D/50D, so I think you are on the right track.
A used 40D (which would be my choice in this situation) would leave plenty of room for a lens upgrade, which I highly recommend. That 18-55mm isn't helping in terms of image quality, and with a $1400-1700 there's room for a $500 lens if you buy a used 40D (something like a 17-40 f/4L maybe).

I agree with others. Just based on the followings.

- A higher ISO Range
- A high resolution

The 40D/50D will fit pretty well. I just recently (last week) bought a used 40D. And I already notice the differences between the XTi(400D) and the 40D. FPS, of course, how in the world I will not notice. You can tell by your ears which one is the 40D when both are shooting at burst mode.

I was not able to do spot metering and now I can. And I do need that feature once in a while.

As for the high ISO, I will say the noise handling on the 40D is better than my XTi/400D. For the same ISO setting, the 40D has less noise than the XTi/400D. And that is one thing I really like on the 40D over my XTi/400D.

And I do feel that the autofocus seems to be faster with my 50mm F/1.8 lens. Do not know why ... or maybe I am seeing things ... ahahaha

And the 40D flash sync speed is faster than my XTi/400D as well.

So far, after using it for few days, I really like the noise handling, the faster FPS, menu controls, the body build .....

You know, if I am still a noob and do not know anything about DSLR camera, I may still choose XT/XTi/XSi over 40D/50D. But now, I really think upgrading to the 40D from my XTi was a good idea.

So, if you really looking for these,

- A higher ISO Range
- A high resolution

Personally, I think 40D/50D is a good choice.

And I do feel that the autofocus seems to be faster with my 50mm F/1.8 lens. Do not know why ... or maybe I am seeing things ... ahahaha
The 40D has a better AF system than the Rebels, and I believe that (like several other Canons) some of the AF points become more sensitive (cross type vs linear) when used with apertures larger than F2.8. No, I don't think you are imagining that.

The 40D has a better AF system than the Rebels, and I believe that (like several other Canons) some of the AF points become more sensitive (cross type vs linear) when used with apertures larger than F2.8. No, I don't think you are imagining that.

hum .. no wonder .. it is not a lot faster .. so I was not 100% sure. Thanks a lot BigMike.

I upgraded from the 350D to the 40D and I have to say it's made a huge difference. The 40D makes the 350D feel like a toy - it focusses so much faster. In a low light situation recently I was trying to use both each with a decent lens and the 350D was often just not able to gain a focus lock. The controls are much better and I'm able to fit bigger lenses on it. Yes the 350D COULD have a 70-200mm mounted on it but I'd feel like it would tear it apart and the balance would feel very odd in my hands.

Yes upgrading lens' will improve results more than upgrading a camera body but you won't regret moving up from the 350D to a more professional model.

I have the same camera as you, but I have to say the only thing I think the camera has as a failure is the noise levels, I hate going over 400 ISO because of this.

I would suggest you first replace the 18-55mm kit lens, I am still also using this because I cant afford a better lense, I have only had my cam about 8 months and already I really dislike this lens, I know I am not a great photographer but there is a lot I wish to do that this lens wont let me.

Like you I also have a 70-300mm Sigma lens, I have the APO DG version, I only got this lens because it was cheap and I wanted to see, if given the tools, I would use this focal length.

I however quickly bought myself the 50mm f1.8. This is by far my fave lens, I love the large apature and the amazing sharpness of the lens. I really dislike the lack of zoom as I find a focal range very very practical.

I have been considering an updrade, like you, to the 50D but I think its much more important that I get myself some lenses worthy of a higher resolution sensor.

If your set on upgrading your body then there is totally no problem with that, I have never used a 50D but have used a 40D many times and find it a totally different species to the 350D its just superior in everyway... Except due to its size I find it less portable but nothing worth altering my judgement. That being said there is NO way you want to think of spending the amount of money you will without upgrading from that lens, I know I will get a new lens before a new body, dispite my hatred of the 350D noise I find my lens much more of a concern.

Happy buying and let us all know what you decide to do ^_^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back