- Flash recycle rate. In our Canon days, we shot with the 580 II (and the 580) and the battery pack to increase the recycle time. We were very happy with the recycle speed. With the Nikon gear, we’re shooting with SB-900 flashes and the SD-8 battery packs. They take 6 batteries instead of 8, and I am NOT impressed with the recycle speed. It is dramatically lower but from reviews, I don’t know that the SD-9 is a worthwhile upgrade. We need to do more research about this, but my initial thought is that Canon has the edge in recycle time.
- The backward-nes.

I think most people think - is on the left and + is on the right, regardless of whether or not you have ever seen a camera meter. I should be able to turn a nob to the left to make the image under exposed and turn it to the right to make it over exposed. I just should.
- The menus. I shot with a Nikon point and shoot back in the day, so those are the digital menus I learned on, but I think Canon handles the menus better. Luckily almost everything is right there in buttons on my D3, but when I do have to go into the menus, I’m not a fan. Having four separate menus isn’t super intuitive–I don’t always agree with Nikon over what is a set-up issue and what would fall under the shooting menu.
- The Nikon lens mount is smaller. I don’t like it.

(this is the part of the list where I get into the pathetic complaints)
- The D700 comes with a pop-up flash. Versus the 5d which doesn’t. I *hate* camera pop-up flashes cause I have a tendency to accidentally hit the flash button and then it pops up and surprises me, but not in a good “free hamburger” way, just a “where did that come from? now I look flustered and unprofessional” way.
- Nikon’s default setting is to shoot without a memory card. This is an insane default and I turned it to off the minute I took the cameras out of their boxes.
- Nikon’s professional services department is geared toward photojournalists and they seem to have a “portrait and wedding photographers aren’t real professionals” attitude. In order to join their professional services, you have to show 2 tear sheets for each calendar year. Canon, on the other hand, understands that you don’t have to sell images to magazines and newspapers to be a full time photographer. (This is an issue when it comes to repairs and renting equipment.)
What was a mute point? (Or a moo point, as Joey would say…
- Color. The first week or two were difficult as I learned to process the Nikon images. Whichever camera you have, you get used to its idiosyncrasies and learn what you need to do to it in order to get the results you want. I definitely had to re-learn this when we switched. But after a month, I didn’t even think about it anymore. I love the color I get now just as much as I love the color from the Canons. Since I shoot in RAW and make all white-balance and color decisions in post-processing anyway, the straight out of camera results from either camera are void.