Which Camera Nikon D300s or Canon 7D

As a matter of fact, Canon's super telephotos are generally held to be superior to Nikkor lenses.

Superior in what way?

I've never seen any scientific tests or data on this, so a link would be appreciated.
I double checked my post and I confirmed I never said anything about "scientific". By "generally held", I mean why many photogs purchase one brand over the other.

It's also generally held that Nikon has the advantage in wide angle lenses.

From there, have fun with Google! :)

Sorry to disappoint, but I can't find anything on the internet that supports your assertion, scientific or not. I'm assuming you are referring to the 400 f/2.8 VR, 500 f/4 VR and 600mm f/4 VR versus the equivalent Canon lenses?

There are actual tests (online) that show that the Nikkor 14-24mm is ahead of the competition, if that's what you mean. Not sure what other Nikon wide angle lenses you are referring to (some are pretty bad), but Canon has some good to excellent wide angle lenses last time I checked. And much more to choose from. So... :confused:

I've been reading this thread with interest - - thanks for everyone's input.

Just one point on the above link. At least when I viewed/read this page it was loaded with Canon advertisements. Not saying there is any bias here, but it did not inspire confidence in the objectivity of the results for me, IMHO.
It's a review posted to a discussion forum. The reviewer is a user of the board. That's like not taking anything to heart on this forum because it has a Canon ad periodically at the top.

;)

Just one point on the above link. At least when I viewed/read this page it was loaded with Canon advertisements. Not saying there is any bias here, but it did not inspire confidence in the objectivity of the results for me, IMHO.
It's a review posted to a discussion forum. The reviewer is a user of the board. That's like not taking anything to heart on this forum because it has a Canon ad periodically at the top.

;)

Sorry - - did not realize it was a forum post. I was busy just reading the content. (As a long-term car junkie, I'm just sensitive to the practice of car reviewers reviewing the cars of the companies that pay them.) :cheers:

see what you started kid! just go to a camera store and try out both camera's and pick one! when you hold them both and play with the buttons and the menus one of them will click go with that one!! cuz the whole debate between Nikon and Canon is like the debate between Creationism and Evolution!!!!!!!

Yeah, Canon is a world leader in advertising revenue, and they do a lot of advertising on the web-based camera and photography forums.

Stop by here and look at the High-ISO comparisons,and you'll see Canon and Nikon are both ahead of "that other company".

Canon EOS 7D Review: 27. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

If you have no equipment and no basis for comparison, a visit to an actual camera store is worth a few dozen forum posts. Real, side-by-side comparisons of actual products might sway your buying decision very easily.
Perhaps one camera allows you to see through it better when wearing eyeglasses, etc, etc. As a new buyer, it is easy to become fixated on one or two alleged selling points, when the real fact of the matter is that, until you have a reasonable amount of experience, it's difficult to know what features are *truly* the most critical or valuable ones.

Buying based on prices for example, can lead to regrets later. There are two things: "cheaper" and "less-costly". Try not to confuse the two.

The higher megapixel count of the Canon will allow you to crop more for your wildlife shots that you may not be able to get close enough to on foot. The 7D looks to be a better high ISO performer than the Nikon. Not sure about the Nikon, but the 7D has darn good weather sealing characteristics for your outdoor shooting. Are you into video at all? Canon is the DSLR video leader. Not saying the D300 is not a great body, because it actually is. But between the two, the Canon is superior.

Sorry but I have to say i've seen some diagrams of the sealing and it is no where near the d300(s). It was actually disappointing to me to see it have such lame weather sealing. They really missed some key spots. The d300s is superior in that way. With the grip the d300s will shoot 8fps but i think the 7D just does. If you're using big lenses though you might put a grip on there anyway to balance out the camera. The 7D is pretty good at higher ISO but Nikon isn't very far behind. Either way you will be happy. I choose Nikon because i just don't like how canon cameras feel in my hands. GL
TJ

Edit: Here is a link to show the sealing on the 7D Sealing Picture

Last edited:
Looks like it would hold up to 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the consumers using it. The other 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% need the underwater housing. LOL

7D #1 Weather Sealing

The 1D3, even despite its problems, still out performed the D3 and it's AF system.

Canon 1D MKIII vs. Nikon D3 Sports Autofocus Showdown - Pro Photo HOME

Even without the sub-mirror fix for the 1D3 it smoked the D3, which scored a 48% out of focus score (damn near 50%).

To be fair, the 1D III "smoked" the D3 by performing miserably, just not as much. There were (also) many Canon users who questioned how this "test" was set up. I can dig up the quotes if you wish.

see what you started kid! just go to a camera store and try out both camera's and pick one! when you hold them both and play with the buttons and the menus one of them will click go with that one!! cuz the whole debate between Nikon and Canon is like the debate between Creationism and Evolution!!!!!!!
:lmao:

;)
Actually there are a lot of sigma 18-250 ads:lol: Don't listen to those sigma reviews.
TJ

Actually there are a lot of sigma 18-250 ads:lol: Don't listen to those sigma reviews.

Too bad you didn't read post 18. (You might want to follow the whole thread.) :lmao:

Looks like it would hold up to 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the consumers using it. The other 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% need the underwater housing. LOL

7D #1 Weather Sealing
That's a pretty cool report. The guy has balls taking the 5D2 to Antarctica given the last time someone reported a similar exercise all the 5D2's across the globe died suddenly when one hit the cold. :D

Wow. Also in the pic "showing the camera at work" - - there just happens to be a seal the foreground about to take a chomp out of a tripod leg, completed uncommented upon, almost as if that were usual. . .
You've never been to that region of the world. It's only notable when the thing being chomped on is a human limb... otherwise it is business as usual.

:D

I noticed that too and laughed pretty hard at the image.

Most reactions

Back