Which camera should I use?

Hero2Zero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a Panasonic Lumix GH5 which I use for all my video filming. And I have a Nikon D3300 for photography. I wonder if maybe the GH5 is better for photography and if I should use that one instead?

I'm not very good at what to look for in the specifications of photography cameras. And I think I decided to use the Nikon D3300 because of it got better colors or something and a better censor...

I think it all depends what images you take or want to take.

Any kind of photos, but I mostly use my tripod and like to take night photography. I don't really take much action photos so I don't need a fast camera and lens.

Any kind of photos, but I mostly use my tripod and like to take night photography. I don't really take much action photos so I don't need a fast camera and lens.

I would try them both on your tripod, use the exact same settings then pick the camera that has the best colours and the one your happy with.

The GH5 is by far the better camera.........

The GH5 is by far the better camera.........

Uh...no. They are pretty comparable, actually. The Panny has a smaller sensor with a more-square 4:3 aspect ratio....the Nikon has a larger sensor, with the typical 3:2 aspect ratio. But in terms of sensor performance, they're pretty comparable imagers.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 vs Nikon D3300 | DxOMark

I would use the camera that you like the most. For whatever reason. If you need to ask the question, then I think it's safe to assume that the camera is not the limiting or critical factor in your photographic endeavors. But perhaps you shoot better with one or the other? or the Panasonic shoots video that's more to your liking?

Well, in the rare occasions that I did video, I always have been much more comfortable to have one specialized camera to do the video and have a second camera to take images at the same time as well.

Other than that yes I think only having one camera system is better than having two. Especially for people with limited budget. Which is almost everyone, especially if one is only a hobbyist and cannot treat gear as a tax writeoff.

About DxO, I dont give a crap about those technocrats. For example I like the output of my D700 better than that of my D750 and DxO wouldnt even begin to be able to explain that. DxO doesnt even manage to get simple tasks like lens sharpness right. They rate lenses with softness problems such as the AF-S 200-400mm f4 as sharp, while razor sharp lenses like the Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2 get rated as soft, simply because DxO does every n00b error possible when measuring lens sharpness.

The assumption you get the better image if you have the better sensor is flawed anyway. You also need the better or at least equal lens, in fact lens quality is paramount. If it was otherwise, photography companies like Canon and Leica would be long gone, since the sensors they use are inferior.

Most reactions

Back