Which Diffuser and Bracket?

BoxPhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings, I'm looking into a diffuser and bracket. I need a diffuser to take pictures of people, in the dark, lots of motion (dancing). But I would also like it to be flexible and take pictures of objects etc as well. I am using a SB 600 speedlight from nikon and I own a D80. Also, I need a flash bracket so which one would be the best for under 200$ (I can be somewhat flexible). I want to able to mount the flash anywhere I want, such as the side of the camera or top. Something that is quick so I can capture what is happening without having to mess around too much with the equipment.

I know I have given little information so please ask me questions for more clarification.

Greetings, I'm looking into a diffuser and bracket. I need a diffuser to take pictures of people, in the dark, lots of motion (dancing). But I would also like it to be flexible and take pictures of objects etc as well. I am using a SB 600 speedlight from nikon and I own a D80. Also, I need a flash bracket so which one would be the best for under 200$ (I can be somewhat flexible). I want to able to mount the flash anywhere I want, such as the side of the camera or top. Something that is quick so I can capture what is happening without having to mess around too much with the equipment.

I know I have given little information so please ask me questions for more clarification.

I have an earlier version of this and I've been happy with it for some twenty years. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the cable. Again, I have the earlier version of the cable, the SC-17. I've used this combo with several film Nikons as well as my current D80. I don't use a diffuser.

Stroboframe does not have anti-twist brackets for this bracket. I don't know if they're needed with the current version. I solved the problem with some duct tape on carefully chose locations on the bottom of my camera bodies.

Last edited:
The link is giving me an error. The Press-T is a nice bracket because it allows you to hold the camera, rather than the bracket, As for a diffuser, I feel that If you are using a bracket, than it is probably because there is no good way to bounce light, like outdoors or in a very large room, so diffuser end up wasting more light, by shooting it away from the subject, and not really softening the light much. So I would suggest using bare flash or a bouncer, rather than a diffuser, something like a lite-scoop, which you don't really need a bracket if you go that way.

Here is the bracket, There is also a taller version; the "Pro-T
Stroboframe | Press-T Bracket | 310-810 | B&H Photo Video

Lite-Scoop
Lite-Scoop Flash Reflector

Keep this in mind. Some brackets will not work if you add a battery grip. For example, the stroboframe camera flip will not work with a battery grip.

Do you prefer a bracket that flips the flash or the camera?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have an older version of this:

Stroboframe | R4B Rotary-Link Flash Bracket | 300-450 | B&H

It works great... fits a 1dMarkII just fine and with comfort. Mine was found at a garage sale missing the wooden grip that is situated underneath where the lens would be located. it was a simple DIY repair project. (e-gad.. didn't realize how much one was brand new) It had a damaged flash wooden grip too but i just removed it.

I like how it rotates the camera instead of the bracket. I normally don't use a diffuser but experience with the lumniquest was good; mini softbox and ultra soft. The flash is positioned fairly high.

The bracket I linked to is a flash flip rather than a camera flip, this is mainly preferance, the press-t is nice because if you look at the photo, the upright connecting the base to the flash arm is positioned in front of the camera so it does not block your handgrip. so you just hold the camera normally; there is no need to hold the bracket. If you were to use the lite-scoop only, it only uses the flash head to reposition the flash.

The general consensus seems to be that the camera flip style of bracket is more comfortable to use, but you would be better of with advice from someone who has used both.

I keep the Custom Brackets Folding T bracket in my bag. It works well, but the main advantage is that it folds. Stroboframe makes one too. It fits in the bottom of my bag and is always there when I need it.

CB Folding-T | Custom Brackets

If I were shooting a full wedding, I would use the custom brackets digital pro M. However, its very expensive for just occaasional use.
Digital PRO-M | Custom Brackets I'd say its easily the best one on the market though.

whats the benefit of a bracket over just moving the flash head?

Gets the flash off of the camera and away from the lens. You can do this by holding the flash by hand with an off shoe cord but it isn't comfortable and it can get a bit difficult after shooting a wedding.

If you mean by "moving" as in turning the flash head to bounce. Often, you can't. Walls have mirrors that cause problems or a color that casts over your photos. The rooms could also be too large to effectively use the ceiling nor walls as a bounce.

I have the Alzo Flip Flash Bracket with Softbox kit. You'll also want a sync cord and probably a remote shutter release. I've used this with a D700 and SB800. I don't use this setup with a grip because the rig gets pretty heavy as is and the increased FPS isn't needed with flash IMO. I've never needed the extra battery resource of the grip either as my Nikons are pretty efficient and I always have a spare or two on hand. The add-on battery pack of the SB800 is a good idea though for quicker recycle times. Unfortunately, the SB600 doesn't have that feature.

If it helps save you some cash, I use a flash synch cord I purchased from flashzebra.com. Several here suggested it. I have been very pleased with it.

Bracket: I don't even know the name of mine, since it is SO OLD but it is similar to Stroboframe (linked above). My flashes are SB600 and SB800. My bodies are Nikon d90 and d300.
WEIGHT: it is something to get used to and shooting vertical with a bracket is also something to get used to. Once I got used to using it, IN LOVE with it. IT does add extra weight and that is why I debracket the camera when leave it at home for my wife to use.

Most reactions

Back