which is sneakier for from the hip shooting?

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
40mm pancake lens? On the theory that the camera is less intimidating?
Or big honking 24-105 f/4 with hood? On the theory that it looks more professional and specialized and people wont think youre taking photos of little old them? Possibly resting of a medium bag and carrying a folded up tripod in the left hand to reinforce the "im on my way to a shoot and dont care about you" vibe?

Ehhh... in my experience, people ALWAYS seem to know when you're pointing a camera at them. My preferred method is to use my 35mm 1.8, keep the camera around my neck touist-style, and holding against the strap with my hand to give it stability just turn my body and shoot.

..big honking 24-105 f/4 with hood?

Shooting "from the hip" huh?

"Urban camouflage" perhaps?
Yes I meant from the hip quite literally for both lenses.

At 30mm f/16 the hyperfocal is like 6 ft or something. Set it to that manual, hold on my camera bag in an at ease position and only worry about composition.

Im not sure what you mean to say by urban camo. Both methods employ urbsn camo? Confused.

Ehhh... in my experience, people ALWAYS seem to know when you're pointing a camera at them. My preferred method is to use my 35mm 1.8, keep the camera around my neck touist-style, and holding against the strap with my hand to give it stability just turn my body and shoot.

That's pretty much what I try to do, pivot past a person in the crowd unnecessarily etc. to line up the shot last second. But the equipment question still applies with these strategies.

Switch to black bodied m4/3

I mentionex those two above because I have them already. I know better options might exist but am trying to get best results for minimum additional money.

Should I assume that your comment serves as an endorsement of the pancake though as the best approximation?

Both methods employ urbsn camo?

Yes, I get the optional scenario, but IMO, it would not be my choice.

Way too much gear to haul around.
Drawing attention to yourself.
Possibly including that from grab-N-run thieves.
Long lenses need to be carefully aimed and focused.
Even if you got the shot, you are probably talking about farther than normal conversation distance, meaning that: 1) you might as well just hold the camera normally, and 2) increases the chance that someone would walk into the frame unexpectedly.

My lame attempt at "humor" was entirely off the subject.

I use 2 M4's for street photography, but usually go out with no bag 2 films in my pocket and lightmeter in other camera in hand strap wrapped around wrist and only raise camera to my eye when i see a shot and shooting with a 28mm so i get in close, i don't care if people notice me

scan548-XL.jpg

Both methods employ urbsn camo?

Yes, I get the optional scenario, but IMO, it would not be my choice.

Way too much gear to haul around.
Drawing attention to yourself.
Possibly including that from grab-N-run thieves.
Long lenses need to be carefully aimed and focused.
Even if you got the shot, you are probably talking about farther than normal conversation distance, meaning that: 1) you might as well just hold the camera normally, and 2) increases the chance that someone would walk into the frame unexpectedly.

My lame attempt at "humor" was entirely off the subject.
The 24-105 I would use at 24-30 at a range of a yard or so. I agree that the long range sniping philosophy is less effective than in your face wide angle.

Seems like a consensus that trying to (initially at least) appear entirely invisible is the way to go.

I use 2 M4's for street photography, but usually go out with no bag 2 films in my pocket and lightmeter in other camera in hand strap wrapped around wrist and only raise camera to my eye when i see a shot and shooting with a 28mm so i get in close, i don't care if people notice me

I shot street for 5 years with a D700 and a 24-70 - one can't get more obtrusive than that - and any success I had was due to technique. Be quiet and steady in your movements, frame the shot in your mind first, raise the camera and take the shot quickly and be inconspicuous.

Watch old episodes of "Get Smart" to get ideas on how you might disguise yourself as a mailbox, tree, or fire hydrant.

OR...

You could just tell people you're doing some street photography and wondered if they'd mind you taking a few photos of them. Offer to show them the photo afterwards and thank them politely.

Watch old episodes of "Get Smart" to get ideas on how you might disguise yourself as a mailbox, tree, or fire hydrant.

OR...

You could just tell people you're doing some street photography and wondered if they'd mind you taking a few photos of them. Offer to show them the photo afterwards and thank them politely.
The goal is candids. Screws up the look if they know. If I plan on selling it then I would ask them afterward for a release but still need to be sneaky at first for the desired look.

Why does this thread sound like it should be titled "I'm going to a nude beach for the first time. How do I hide my camera so I can take pictures?"

It comes across to me more like trying to see what you can get away with than being about doing street photography. I've done events and although that isn't quite the same, I've found that it usually doesn't take long, maybe just seconds, for people to decide I'm boring to watch and to quit looking at me and go back to watching the game/event.

I've taken photos for a team for marketing purposes and they wanted crowd shots, pictures of fans having fun, etc. - I've been able to get plenty of candids. I think it takes a certain amount of waiting and watching sometimes to find a photographable moment, and a lot of it is about the timing.

If you happen upon a moment you want to capture and go ahead and take the shot, then you could ask them to sign a release as needed for whatever usage you have in mind. I think it's possible to blend into the background nd stay unnoticed to take photos and still be respectful to people.

(Although maybe a Maxwell Smart technique would be a fun idea! And thanks Tim - now I have the theme song running thru my head...)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back