which is sneakier for from the hip shooting?

Shooting in crowds is totally different and vastly easier. There is a bunch of stuff going on and its easy to go unnoticed.

Also people are now giving completely opposite advice (micro 4/3 small as possible! Vs. Linger conspicuously for minutes then hold a lens up to their face."

Or maybe there is still miscommunication. The gosl is *wide angle* frame filling candid street shots. As in a meter or two away from the subject. As in virtually zero chance of them not looking right at you within half a second of putting a camera up to your eye.

My preferred method is to use my 35mm 1.8, keep the camera around my neck touist-style, and holding against the strap with my hand to give it stability just turn my body and shoot.
Good method.
Try with the selftimer on 20 seconds, and surprise yourself afterwards on what you've just been photographing :)

Why does this thread sound like it should be titled "I'm going to a nude beach for the first time. How do I hide my camera so I can take pictures?"

:) just glue some curly hair on your camera, no one will notice you camouflage techniques ;)

I use 2 M4's for street photography, but usually go out with no bag 2 films in my pocket and lightmeter in other camera in hand strap wrapped around wrist and only raise camera to my eye when i see a shot and shooting with a 28mm so i get in close, i don't care if people notice me

I shot street for 5 years with a D700 and a 24-70 - one can't get more obtrusive than that - and any success I had was due to technique. Be quiet and steady in your movements, frame the shot in your mind first, raise the camera and take the shot quickly and be inconspicuous.

He didn't know i had taken the shot

I find that a nifty 50 is best for street shooting. Lately I've also been using a remote shutter release. It's perfect for being inconspicuous, you don't even need to touch your camera. Keep the shutter switch in your back pocket and fire away.

Most reactions

Back