Which lens/filter should I buy?

smortimerphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all
I new to photography and was wondering which lens I should have in my kit and which brand of filters are best value for money? I have 3 lenses 10-22mm, 100mm macro, 18-200mm. Is this a good range?
Thank you :)

Wait, you own those lenses now? Or are those the ones you're considering?

What's your budget? What do you photograph, or would like to photograph most often? There is no "standard kit". People own the lenses they do based on what they shoot most often. Provide a little more info, and you'll get more specific answers.

Wanted to buy a lens that is flexible enough to take out without having to keep changing. Looking to buy good quality and doesn't distort. Price isn't an option because I am saving up.
I suppose in short which lenses should I buy to cover all bases. Its a choice of the ones above and any others people might think would be good to add.

I have a Canon EOS400D.

Last edited:
You have 10-22. Why not add 24-70 and 70-200. Keep the 100 macro and get rid of the 18-200.

Alternatively 17-55 and 70-200 which would be a bit better on crop than having the 24-70 but with the downside of crop only.

You still haven't said what you shoot though; that significantly affects what lenses are going to be useful to you.

I'm dabbing my feet in all sorts at the moment, I have no particular liking over another. When I do, its good to know the equipment I have is good enough for the job.

Big Mike give the guy a break. You sound like a first year psychology student. He is a novice asking for opions and advice not psychotherapy.

Big Mike give the guy a break. You sound like a first year psychology student. He is a novice asking for opions and advice not psychotherapy.

smortimerphoto made it sound like he/she already had a 10-22mm, 100mm macro, 18-200mm and was asking if it was a good range. That is only a question the OP can answer.. If the lenses do what the OP wants, than it is a good range for the OP. Big Mike was not being rude, so chill out.

Nothing to chill about. Just suggesting that when novices ask questions it would be nice to try and answer their questions like subscuck and tyler did. Answering a question with a patronizing question is not helpful.

The kicka$$ trio I use is as follows:

14-24 f/2.8 ($2000)
24-70 f/2.8 ($1900)
70-200 f/2.8 VR II ($2400)

That's just my preference. The 70-200 is my favorite lens. It lives on a D7000. That's the only lens I use that camera for. lol

Nothing to chill about. Just suggesting that when novices ask questions it would be nice to try and answer their questions like subscuck and tyler did. Answering a question with a patronizing question is not helpful.

Obviously you are new here. If you think that was patronizing, well.. I don't think you will last on this forum very long.

Nice meeting you. (now that was patronizing)

Doc_CSB said:

[

You sound stupid man. If the OP is happy with his focal length for what he shoots, then he's good. If he's constantly reaching for a length he doesn't have....THEN BUY A NEW LENS!! Simple as that. This is a retarded question if you ask me. And you defending the retarded question says a lot about you lol

smortimerphoto asked a sincere question. No need insulting him by calling his question "retarded". And yes, defending a noob asking a sincere question says as much about me as denigrating some one for asking a sincere question says about you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back