Which lens?? Nikon 135 2.0 DC?? 70-200 2.8 vrII

Nessy024

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help! I over researched and now I'm totally lost! I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000.

I'm photographing people, I want maximum sharpness!! And creamy background. I want the backgrounds totally blurred out.

I like the 135 DC feature, where you can control the bokeh....

And if I got the 70-200 2.8 vr2 I would only use it at 200mm...

Any advice would help!

Get the 70-200 zoom. It has lower CA, and more focal length flexibility. I own the 135 DC lens and the 105 DC...great lenses in their own right, BUT....the defocus control is subtle, and the added FLEXIBILITY of the 70-200,plus its VR, will make for simply a much more-useful lens than a 135/2 prime on a D7000. Make no mistake, both are fine,fine lenses. But the zoom has very nice background blur characteristics.

I agree with Derrel; the DC lenses are great, but they are very specialized. The 70-200 will allow you to create razor-thin DoF with enough space, and has wonderful (IMO) bokeh (Example). Have you considered the 85mm 1.4 or 1.8? A better focal length for a lot of portrait work on a DX body (I think), and a whole lot less expensive.

Another vote for the 70-200 VR2. Apart from the focus breathing (which is just damned awful), it's just about a perfect lens for what it does. On FF, it has quite a bit of vignetting on the wide end, but you'll never see that on a crop sensor body like your D7000.

The DC lenses are highly specialized, as Derrell said. I put them in the same "boutique" category as the PC-E lenses, in that an extremely small percentage of photogs have any reason to use them regularly.

Well, one plus for the 135 is the compactness when compared to the 70-200. The 70-200 is a beast compared to the 135 and creepin' on folks. I was walking around creepin' with my gripped D800 and 85/1.4. Even with the 85's compactness, I was anything but inconspicuous. I suppose, in that case, that's one reason why the 50 has been used for so long for street photography. But, then again, you've got to be even closer with the 50. So, it's a double edged sword.

But, I digress. I just wanted to bring light to the size issue. On a crop, I have a feeling the 135 is going to prove a bit too long for alot of shots. But, that's just me. On FX, I would say it'd be an incredible choice. But, on DX, I'd go with an 85 as mentioned above. The 85mm F/1.8G Nikkor is a stellar option (as is the 85/1.4 Sigma for only a couple hundred clams more).

Mark

You need a better creeper camera, Mark!!! May I suggest a silver Canon Digital Rebel X-something or other??? A real dork-meister camera??? it's just GOTTA BE SILVER!!!!

The 70-200 is flexible and has vr.... Buttttt according to what I've read, the 135 and 105 dc are sharper at 2.8 than the 70-200 at 2.8 and you have the option for f2.....Everyone is different and I don't need anything that long with VR. Ultimately, I would want the 85 1.8, the 135, and the 70-200.

You need a better creeper camera, Mark!!! May I suggest a silver Canon Digital Rebel X-something or other??? A real dork-meister camera??? it's just GOTTA BE SILVER!!!!

I was thinking about upgrading to that n4004 you mentioned in the other post. Good idea?

Mark

Markw said:
I was thinking about upgrading to that n4004 you mentioned in the other post. Good idea?

Mark

I walk around with a d40 and a 35 or 50 prime lol.

Mark

Lol! Good one Mark! For those that missed it, in the other post I said that in my 30 years shooting NIkon, I had seen some excellent cameras out of the Nikon company, and some that were as I wrote, quote, "UTTER CRAP (n4004 anyone?)". Yeaaaaahhh...the old 4004...UGH! WHAT A TURKEY that was. It had the 6006 as a stablemate, and of course, the Nikon that truly started the current post-analogue-control-era, the Nikon 8008. The 8008 is where the current Nikon control ethos came from. But the 4004....oh, man, those things would hardly sell. I was selling photo goods back then, and the 4004 was a sales DUD. People loathed that thing. One of the worst Nikons EVAH!!!!! And, hey, I'm serious about ghetting a dorkemeister camera, something in silver...it really confounds people...they think, "He can't be a creeper...he's clearly a dork...I mean, look--he has a silver camera! Silver means dork!" That's what security guys thing at NBA venues...silver camera = no threat.

Do you have an extra $1k for the 70-200mm VR2? if not, then just get the 135mm DC. If you are not going to use the flexibility the 70-200 VR2, then just get then 135mm DC. If you need the f/2.0 vs f/2.8 get the 135mm. I think you've already talked yourself into the prime...

However, The 70-200mm VR2 is a better choice for most people.

Unless you want/need the range of the 70-200, save a lot of money and get the 85 1.8G.

Most reactions

Back