Which lens would you choose

If you could only pick from one of these for a D80, which would you pick?

• AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased a Nikon D80 body and had to get the lens seperately. I narrowed my decision down to three lenses. The selection was mainly determined by price, but I also wanted a decent walk around lens. I've already made my choice and purchased the lens, but I'm curiousl which you all would've chose if you could only pick from these three lenses.

Erm... Which three lenses? lol!

All the lenses you mention have a fairly slow maximum aperture which will limit your photo opportunities-especially at the longer end of the zooms.
If I was in your situation the lens I'd choose would be the humble 50mm f1.8-fast, crisp and capable of superior imaging for not much money.
Sorry but zooms are not for me:wink:

The 18-70 is probably the sharpest of the three, but all of them aren't too bad. I think it would be a toss-up between the 18-70 and 18-135, between sharpness and versatility.

18-135mm

For the short time i had it i really liked it. pretty Sharp and very versatile, GREAT walk around lens

I made my choice based on the first lens I bought for my D80.

I'd go with the 18-135. These sorts of lenses are a lot alike, so versatility in my opinion is one of, if not the determining factor. Now if you were throwing in other, professional quality lenses (the kind that cost as much as some make in a month), I would re-evaluate my answer.

Not that I have a Nikon or know of the reviews on the particular lens etc but I'd say the 18-135mm as it would be a good walk around lens as you'd have some reasonable zoom capabilities.

Personally I would of been going for the 16-85mm. No doubt more expensive but a very nice lens.

Maybe something for you to take a look at and consider.

I would probably go with the 18-70. It's the sharpest and most well built of all of them, and it's still pretty cheap. I have a 55-200 to cover the longer telephoto range, so I wouldn't need the 135 end of the 18-135 much.

However, if I was only going to get one lens, it would be the 18-135.

Granted, I'm a Canon shooter so I'm not familiar with these lenses... but from specifications only.

I'd choose 18-135 and take the hit in IQ for flexibility of wide range zoom. Just learn its limitations and work with them. Then I'd throw in a 35mm and/or 50mm prime for fast and high IQ work.

I voted for the 18-70 but you really should get the 17-55 2.8.

Wow, the results are so evenly spilt between the 18-70 and the 18-135.

I ultimately chose the 18-70. The main reasons being that reviews seemed to indicate that it had fewer IQ flaws than the 18-35. Plus, my intention is to purchase a 70-300 VR later this year so they will compliment each other well. I also liked the fact that it had a slightly larger aperture, but being a beginner I'm not sure how much the little difference will benefit me.

I was extremely tempted to get the 18-135 as it would be more flexible as a single lens solution (especially during the time it would've been my only lens) and I was skeptical whether my untrained eye would ever notice the IQ problems mentioned in the reviews.

I realize that knowing I intend to purchase a 70-300 down the road might have influenced some of your choices, but I wanted opinions on them as my only lens. Thanks for all your feedback I still welcome more.

Most reactions

Back