Which prime lens

Jacob95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys

This is my first post and i was just wondering if i could get some help.

I am looking at purchasing my first prime lens and I am unsure which focal length either 50 or 85mm.
I currently use a canon 5d miii, with the 17-40mm f4, I photograph mainly landscape, although I like shooting, macro and portraiture. I don't have a big budget the highest I can pay is about $600 australian.

thanks

Well ... uh ... depends ?

In your shoes I would probably get the 85mm because 50mm is pretty close to 40mm that you already have.

But really depends what you want to do with this lens and why you want to have it.

If you want to shoot portraiture, I would go with the 85/1.8 on a full frame body.

The 50/1.4 is also a good choice, and quite different than the long end of the 17-40/4L.

I would also consider a dedicated macro lens in the 90-105 focal length which would suitably double as a portrait lens

The advantage of the 50 is its very good prime and it does lots of things fairly well so if a man can choose only one prime to his camera I would say go with the 50.
For portrait the 85 is better, for the money yu have I would get both lenses used and probably still have some money left over.

The 50mm is considered a "normal" focal length for your camera body. Years ago when 35mm film cameras came with a "kit" lens, it was always a 50mm. If I could only own ONE prime lens and wanted it to be as versatile as possible (useful for portraits, landscapes, general walking around, etc.) that that would be the 50mm... no question, no hesitation.

If you wanted a dedicated prime for portrait use or a dedicate prime lens for landscape use then the advice would be different -- but as you indicated a little bit of everything, the 50mm is probably the lens for you.

BTW... it is NOT a macro lens. If you need close focusing distance then you either want a true macro, or you want to buy a set of extension tubes or close-up diopters (I'd probably go with the extension tubes.)

I'd have to vote for...one or the other.

As Solarflare indicated, the 50 is close in focal length to the 40 end of your zoom. So there wouldn't be much difference in what 'range' of things you may want to photograph. HOWEVER...the Canon 50mm f1.4 is highly regarded for IQ, build, and just about everything else and at f1.4, ideal for low light shooting without a flash to get thin DOF. While the 50mm f1.8 is no slouch, either, the 1.4 is noticably better. However, as I have never owned either lens, I'm only parrotting the remarks of others online.

From what I've shot with my own 85 f1.8 and the comments of others, it's a great portrait lens, especially on a full-frame, and especially the 5D3. Fast, fast focus, sharp, clear. It would definitely be a great focal length addition for your photography.

Regardless of which lens you buy, be sure to get the hood that goes with it!

I'd have to vote for...one or the other.

As Solarflare indicated, the 50 is close in focal length to the 40 end of your zoom. So there wouldn't be much difference in what 'range' of things you may want to photograph. HOWEVER...the Canon 50mm f1.4 is highly regarded for IQ, build, and just about everything else and at f1.4, ideal for low light shooting without a flash to get thin DOF. While the 50mm f1.8 is no slouch, either, the 1.4 is noticably better. However, as I have never owned either lens, I'm only parrotting the remarks of others online.

From what I've shot with my own 85 f1.8 and the comments of others, it's a great portrait lens, especially on a full-frame, and especially the 5D3. Fast, fast focus, sharp, clear. It would definitely be a great focal length addition for your photography.

Regardless of which lens you buy, be sure to get the hood that goes with it!

40mm at f/4 is a lot different than 50mm at f/1.4.

50mm all the way! It's been the standard for decades and the perspective you get from it is pretty close to what you actually see. It's a great focal length, not being too long, not being too wide. My Canon 50mm f/1.4 is on my camera 95% of the time. If you don't have any primes yet, this is the standard focal length of primes. Not to mention the standard for film cameras for decades :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back