Which Telephoto Zoom Lens for my Canon?

FDSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a new lens to go along with my 18-55 for my canon Rebel XSI. I want it mainly for action shots(skateboarding and whatever) and nature shots- mainly outside so i don't need a super low aperture. I also would like to try some macro pictures. Price range is under $300, but lower is better.

so here are my choices-
canon 55-250 this is the obvious next length up, and the reviews seem pretty good
http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFS.html

Sigma 70-300 this one is my favorite at the moment because it has macro capabilities, but its a lot longer than my current lens
http://www.adorama.com/SG70300DAEOS.html

Sigma 55-200 this one is cheaper but more compact and would also be a good addition to my current lens.
http://www.adorama.com/SG55200EOS.html

Last edited:
I would say your choice is between the Canon 55-250mm and the Sigma 70-300mm APO.
The Canon has IS (image stabalization) which is especially usefull with longer lenses as it allows you to shoot at a slower shutter speed and yet get a sharp shot - however its only canceling out hand shake, if your shutter speed is too slow to freeze action in a shot then it won't do you any good.
The Sigma on the other hand has a longer max focal range and also has macro - though I will point out this is not true macro, but close focusing. This means that its not going to fill a single shot with an insect, think more the size of a flower head opened. Its a very good lens at this area of macro (I found).

With regards to quality both are cheaper end lenses so will most likley go soft at the longer focal lengths - the sigma I had certainly did, though I was using the previous version - the APO makes a good improvement on overall image quality. I have never used the Canon so can't comment on its comparable quality

For your stated purpose, I don't think you'll really be happy with any of those lenses. They're all decent optically, but very slow on the long end. I would suggest saving up for a little longer and looking toward a used 70-200 f2.8 or maybe the 70-200 f4 while a little slower, is at least a constant aperture.

For your stated purpose, I don't think you'll really be happy with any of those lenses. They're all decent optically, but very slow on the long end. I would suggest saving up for a little longer and looking toward a used 70-200 f2.8 or maybe the 70-200 f4 while a little slower, is at least a constant aperture.

whats the cheapest i can get one of those for? Theres no way im spending around $1000 for a lens.

Will the same aperture on a long lens be darker than on a short lens? for example f4.5 at 55mm compared to f4.5 at 250mm?

Speaking of the Canon choice, at 250mm, the maximum aperture will be 5.6 In fact, I guess it would be 5.6 from close to 200mm all the way to 250.

That's why a f4 lens (like the 70-200 L), is so nice, as it has a constant aperture throughout its range.

If you can live without IS, I have seen the 70-200mm f4 non-is for around 500. (used on craigslist) I know it's 200 more than your budget, but save up a couple more months and it will be worth it.

I can tell you from expirience and it's more than 300 bucks but save a little more and get the canon EF 70-300 IS USM your next step up will be L glass. This piece of kit will surprise you in IQ.

Samples

sundaymarch4019.jpg

fridaymarsh029.jpg

sundaymarch11016.jpg

sundaymarch11016.jpg

Eagle066.jpg

Cropped

Eagle066cropped.jpg

Hey thanks for the replies, and the sample pictures are great! I'm leaning towards the 55-250, and then I can just wait for a real macro. Do you think that the gap between the 18-55 I have now and a 70-300 would be too much because I'm looking to have a well rounded quiver of lenses.

55-70 mm gap chances are you won't miss it at all. One does not have to have every focal length to hand -and sometimes having too many makes it very hard to compose a shot as you always worry are you on the right length.

in all honesty, if your doing skateboard photos, these lens' are going to be near useless... I know you've said you have a $300 max... but my suggestion is to put it in the bank, and keep saving, and get yourself a fisheye... however, its really not going to be helpful for nature... you've kind of given to areas of photography that are vastly different from each other, and require totally different lens'

I'm not looking to do only skateboarding shots, I'm looking for an all around good lens with more range than my current one. So I guess it's between the Sigma and the Canon now. Has anyone used either of these lenses?

Bump I think I'm gonna go with the sigma, unless anyone has something bad to say about this lens...

You're far overstating the gap between 55 and 70. That's like... a couple feet of distance at most.

Oh, I wasn't really sure how much difference it would make.

What does it mean where it says gray market on adorama?

Most reactions

Back