What's new

Which To Choose?

Nikon or Canon, also tell me why!


  • Total voters
    19

RKRAMOS

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
Raeford, NC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm in the market for a new camera, nothing too extreme just something under $1000 to become my main camera. I'm not an exert at taking pictures but I want to step up my game from PAS to a DSLR. Now here the question Nikon or Canon? I wanna here which is the better camera and why. Also if you have experience with both let me know which on you liked better. Thanks a lot!
- Rick.
 
Roll a dice because either brand is top range and will work - heck for many interests there are several more brands which can also be considered (eg olympus).

The only way to make some difference is to outline your specific interests and intentions with the new camera, to give some criteria - at which point specific advantages/disadvantages within each brand can be pulled up for assessment and compared. Without that context it the answers you get won't matter one bit.
 
Like Overread stated.. It all depends what you want to do with it? Do you think you will be doing a lot of inside or low light shots? Doing much video? What kind of things do you want to take pictures of?

Either brand is top notch. If someone blindly states one brand is better than the other, they are pretty much a fanboy. If you buy an decent canon and a decent nikon.. both will take decent pictures if you understand proper exposure and composition.

What I would do is go to a local shop or store that carries DSLRs and hold a few that are within your price range. Come back here with the models of the camera you like the feel of, then let us know what you want to shoot and we can help you decide which may work better for you.
 
It will be mainly for taking pictures of cars in all sorts of lights, but will also be used for many things, I'm really looking for a camera that can do the obvious things pictures and videos are a must so I will be looking for one that does have a video option also. Like I said I will be mainly taking pictures of cars, a little weather and scenery. I also will be recording a lot of races so I will need the video function.
 
If you want to record car races GET A VIDEO CAMERA!!!!! If you wish to make videos, buy a video camera. A video camera will give you better sound, more movie-making options, better control over focusing and exposure, and a better form factor for video shooting than any d-slr will. Seriously. I mean, hey, a Swiss Army knife has a screwdriver in it, and I could build a deck with a quality knife; however, if I actually want to build a deck, I'll use a power screwdriver or impact driver, and do 10x more work in half the time, and with less effort and BETTER RESULTS AT THE END OF THE TASK.

Yes, d-slr's can shoot video, but unfortunately, they are rather like the Swiss Army knife's screwdriver blade is to the power screwdriver...
 
To shoot video well with a DSLR requires adding some not inexpensive attachments to the DSLR.

For example - Redrock for video DSLRs

What is your budget for lenses? Shooting car racing requires a lens that has good reach and good low light performance. Something like Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

But, if your lens budget is constrained and you don't mind doing a lot of cropping, consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

If you will be shooting in daylight you may be able to get by with Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

If you need a rock bottom price and can accept less than good image quality then look at the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens
 
I don't need high quality stuff for the videos I'm shooting, if I do shoot them will most likely be at night for very obvious reasons. My main concerns with this camera is taking great quality pictures and to have the ability to shoot videos when necessary.
 
To shoot video well with a DSLR requires adding some not inexpensive attachments to the DSLR.

For example - Redrock for video DSLRs

What is your budget for lenses? Shooting car racing requires a lens that has good reach and good low light performance. Something like Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S SWM SIC ED IF VR II Nikkor Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

But, if your lens budget is constrained and you don't mind doing a lot of cropping, consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

If you will be shooting in daylight you may be able to get by with Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

If you need a rock bottom price and can accept less than good image quality then look at the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens
I'm assuming you like Nikons? lol
 
According to some around here, it's just not plausible for Canon owners to get decent images.
 
Do yourself a favor and search "Nikon Canon" and search in titles only. You'll find 65,000 threads about your question, so you'll get tons of answers faster.
 
There is no clear cut answer, Go to the store and see which you like the feel of better.
If you want to shoot small videos, Canon has better video, and for really low light, Nikon does have some better ISO settings / Noise performance.
Go to a store with an open mind, and an open wallet.
 
Do yourself a favor and search "Nikon Canon" and search in titles only. You'll find 65,000 threads about your question, so you'll get tons of answers faster.
Alright, I figured someone would say this, sorry about the extra thread.
There is no clear cut answer, Go to the store and see which you like the feel of better.
If you want to shoot small videos, Canon has better video, and for really low light, Nikon does have some better ISO settings / Noise performance.
Go to a store with an open mind, and an open wallet.
Noted.
 
To be honest, I am stunned by how many people you get asking this question and expecting a decent answer! Rick, all your going to get is a bunch of people trying to tell you Canon is better than Nikon and vice versa. And this helps you make a decision does it?

For a start, I'm not going to recommend Canon to you because I'm completely BIASED and prefer Nikon ergonomics. I like the way Nikon cameras look, feel, work and they also offer higher quality lenses at the CONSUMER end. But is it going to help you make a decision by me or anyone else saying 'that you should buy Nikon?'

I won't deny I suffered from this same syndrome, that the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence. And I also won't deny that there is always a chance that I may switch to Canon in the future if something stunning arrives from Canon. I recently queried in these very forums whether Canon had better colour rendition, alot of intelligent posters stepped forward and told me in reality there was completely zilch difference and the way you process RAW files is more important! So there you go, simply flip a coin and pick one!

Let me ask you a question.... Have you even tried picking up a Canon or Nikon DSLR??? before you came on and asked this question. The reason I ask this is because I chose Nikon, because Canon entry level models have the worst grips for large hands I have ever come across! And I originally always wanted a Canon DSLR and not a Nikon, so make of that what you will.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom