What's new

Which To Choose?

Nikon or Canon, also tell me why!


  • Total voters
    19
To be honest, I am stunned by how many people you get asking this question and expecting a decent answer! Rick, all your going to get is a bunch of people trying to tell you Canon is better than Nikon and vice versa. And this helps you make a decision does it?

For a start, I'm not going to recommend Canon to you because I'm completely BIASED and prefer Nikon ergonomics. I like the way Nikon cameras look, feel, work and they also offer higher quality lenses at the CONSUMER end. But is it going to help you make a decision by me or anyone else saying 'that you should buy Nikon?'

I won't deny I suffered from this same syndrome, that the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence. And I also won't deny that there is always a chance that I may switch to Canon in the future if something stunning arrives from Canon. I recently queried in these very forums whether Canon had better colour rendition, alot of intelligent posters stepped forward and told me in reality there was completely zilch difference and the way you process RAW files is more important! So there you go, simply flip a coin and pick one!

Let me ask you a question.... Have you even tried picking up a Canon or Nikon DSLR??? before you came on and asked this question. The reason I ask this is because I chose Nikon, because Canon entry level models have the worst grips for large hands I have ever come across! And I originally always wanted a Canon DSLR and not a Nikon, so make of that what you will.
Yes, I've gone to a lot of stores that offer both Canon and Nikon and I've taken pictures and messed around with some of the functions. I've never really been pulled towards either one. That's why I'm asking. I figured I can get user reviews and see what the people say about what they have. Like you did.
 
The bottom line is, it is virtually impossible to make a purchase decision mistake because Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Fuji and all the others all make excellent cameras.

The most variable photo making component is the photographer.
 
[/QUOTE]Yes, I've gone to a lot of stores that offer both Canon and Nikon and I've taken pictures and messed around with some of the functions. I've never really been pulled towards either one. That's why I'm asking. I figured I can get user reviews and see what the people say about what they have. Like you did.[/QUOTE]

Get a Nikon D7000, it's a great cam. I would have one in a heartbeat, but content with my D90 for time being. I can't see you regretting it!

It is a great 'in between cam' between amateur and professional, it's only downside is it offer's only 24fps in high def video. But by same token people use DSLR's for the movie look, so 24FPS is perfect for this.

High ISO is great and as mentioned often, it has really tip top Dynamic range. You can lift shadows with minimal noise or banding being present, this is a definite advantage it has over Canons offerings at the moment.
 
UPDATE: I've officially decided aside from what a lot of people were telling me, I decided to do my own research and figure out which Camera I liked best. I decided to go with the Nikon D5100. I loved the way it took pictures and I love that it could do pretty much anything the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. Those were the two I was really debating over. I feel that the Nikon had more options and better ergonomics. I also bought a 55 - 200mm lens,Wide angle and Fish eye lens, Flash, Tripod, and a Back pack carrying case! I'm so excited!
 
Congrats on the new gear, look forward to seeing some of your photos!
 
Thanks! It should all come in by this weekend. I'm going to a Car show on Saturday so it's the perfect time to get some pics! I'm supper excited lol.
 
Welcome to the Nikon club. ;)
 
I have experimented with both Canon and Nikon and personally I settled on Canon as my choice. I found that generally Canon had a slightly warmer color cast compared to the Nikon, taking anything away from Nikon. I ten to do lot if sunrise/sunset shooting and landscapes so I tend to prefer warmer colors anyway. Another reason I chose canon was the use interface. Felt a little more at home navigating the Canon menus compared to the Nikon, although I was mostly using a entry level Nikon d3000 which ha very limited shortcuts and control buttons externally. I think that the lo light capabilities of the Nikon are pretty awesome, as I'm sure some upper level Canons are . The included EOS Utility software is a free bit of extra thrown in with. Canon which allows you to completely control you DSLR remotely via you computer, which is BADA$@!! but didn't really weigh in on my decision at the time. I have found that accessories for the Nikon cameras are typically a bit Kessler expensive than Canon, which sucks, but oh well. There is a plethora of lenses available for both platforms, as well as several others for that matter so that doesn't seem to be an issue for too many people unmaking their decision anymore. Although with Canon, unless you buy an L series lens, you are not getting a lens hood in the box, which is a little crappy I think. They should take a page from literally every other lens manufacturer and include a lens hood.

I would really recommend spending some time with each and see what features you like and dislike about both of them, as well as other manufactures, before you make a final decision...if you are still deciding anyway. Some people prefer the feel and ergonomics of a particular model of a particular brand. And don't be afraid to shop used gear. I would try to get used gear from a good camera shop though ad they are typically yuck t tell you exactly what condition the product is in ...B&H photo, Adorama, TriStateCamera, the lit goes on and on for online suppliers, just google used DSLR

Anyway I hope my response hasn't angered too many user with it's tardiness, but I thought I would chime in and possible give you even more mixed feelings about what to shop for.

Oh and by the way, once you get a DSLR, you will spend countless hours of your life pining over gear and geeking out over technology!

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
Ha! I just saw where you have some gear on the way. Sorry for the belated post and have fun with you new gear!

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
Welcome to the Nikon club. ;)
Thanks :thumbup:
I have experimented with both Canon and Nikon and personally I settled on Canon as my choice. I found that generally Canon had a slightly warmer color cast compared to the Nikon, taking anything away from Nikon. I ten to do lot if sunrise/sunset shooting and landscapes so I tend to prefer warmer colors anyway. Another reason I chose canon was the use interface. Felt a little more at home navigating the Canon menus compared to the Nikon, although I was mostly using a entry level Nikon d3000 which ha very limited shortcuts and control buttons externally. I think that the lo light capabilities of the Nikon are pretty awesome, as I'm sure some upper level Canons are . The included EOS Utility software is a free bit of extra thrown in with. Canon which allows you to completely control you DSLR remotely via you computer, which is BADA$@!! but didn't really weigh in on my decision at the time. I have found that accessories for the Nikon cameras are typically a bit Kessler expensive than Canon, which sucks, but oh well. There is a plethora of lenses available for both platforms, as well as several others for that matter so that doesn't seem to be an issue for too many people unmaking their decision anymore. Although with Canon, unless you buy an L series lens, you are not getting a lens hood in the box, which is a little crappy I think. They should take a page from literally every other lens manufacturer and include a lens hood.

I would really recommend spending some time with each and see what features you like and dislike about both of them, as well as other manufactures, before you make a final decision...if you are still deciding anyway. Some people prefer the feel and ergonomics of a particular model of a particular brand. And don't be afraid to shop used gear. I would try to get used gear from a good camera shop though ad they are typically yuck t tell you exactly what condition the product is in ...B&H photo, Adorama, TriStateCamera, the lit goes on and on for online suppliers, just google used DSLR

Anyway I hope my response hasn't angered too many user with it's tardiness, but I thought I would chime in and possible give you even more mixed feelings about what to shop for.

Oh and by the way, once you get a DSLR, you will spend countless hours of your life pining over gear and geeking out over technology!

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
Thanks! I've noticed, I've spent all the money I saved up and I'm still looking for gear lol
Ha! I just saw where you have some gear on the way. Sorry for the belated post and have fun with you new gear!

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
Hahaha no problem man!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom