What's new

Which To Choose?

Nikon or Canon, also tell me why!


  • Total voters
    19
Make sure to save up for a nifty fifty. Nikon 50mm F/1.8G would be a good deal for you, with the D5100 and on a budget.

The depth of field on the nifty fifty will allow you to do some shots with really nice bokeh.
 
Make sure to save up for a nifty fifty. Nikon 50mm F/1.8G would be a good deal for you, with the D5100 and on a budget.

The depth of field on the nifty fifty will allow you to do some shots with really nice bokeh.
lol nifty 50?
 
Make sure to save up for a nifty fifty. Nikon 50mm F/1.8G would be a good deal for you, with the D5100 and on a budget.

The depth of field on the nifty fifty will allow you to do some shots with really nice bokeh.
lol nifty 50?

Nifty 50, is just a term for any 50mm lens.

It's a prime (non-zoom) lens. This will give you a basic idea of why it's good to have one.

I think most all photographers have a nifty fifty in their bag
 
Ok, I'll definitely invest in one of these. Thanks! I'm semi new to DSLR photography, I had a PAS and figured it was finally time to upgrade!
 
Ok, I'll definitely invest in one of these. Thanks! I'm semi new to DSLR photography, I had a PAS and figured it was finally time to upgrade!

We all started somewhere. I don't know many people that were born and then passed a SLR. (Except maybe Ron) ;)

The best 5 tips I can offer is..

#1 Learn your camera (Read your manual, play with the buttons, settings, etc)
#2 Learn about Exposure, Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed
#3 Practice, Practice, Practice!
#4 Get a thick skin. (Post pictures here for advice, but learn from the advice. Don't get frustrated or mad)
#5 Practice some more!

An additional tip for free..

If you have a question, search Google and/or TPF first. If you can't find or understand the answer, ask us. Someone will try to help.
 
sad to see the poll results favouring nikon. i am a canon fan since the hype of digital camera. years down the road...i still prefer canon. most obvious reason being it is "user friendly". settings are pretty easy to do as compared to nikon's camera. however i heard that nikon's in-built flash is better than canon's. never done comparison before. i believe most of the DSLR now is as good as the others. most importantly you are comfortable using it and is familiar with the settings. no point having a SUPERB dslr camera but you dont know how to use it to the MAX! just a honest opinion.
 
sad to see the poll results favouring nikon. i am a canon fan since the hype of digital camera. years down the road...i still prefer canon. most obvious reason being it is "user friendly". settings are pretty easy to do as compared to nikon's camera. however i heard that nikon's in-built flash is better than canon's. never done comparison before. i believe most of the DSLR now is as good as the others. most importantly you are comfortable using it and is familiar with the settings. no point having a SUPERB dslr camera but you dont know how to use it to the MAX! just a honest opinion.

If you read the entire post, the best responses were for him to go out and try out a few cameras then pick one. He did. Did he pick right? Well, we will find out if the Nikon D5100 is for him. It doesn't matter if he picked up a Nikon D5100 or a Canon T2i. Either would have worked, it matters what he is most comfortable with.

I personally like the feel and look of the Nikon cameras and lenses, but that's a personal choice. It doesn't mean the brand is better. I also like Chevy, Coke, Levis, HTC, etc.
 
Nifty 50, is just a term for any 50mm lens.

Nifty-Fifty only refers to the cheap 50 mm lenses, like Nikon's AF 50 mm f/1.8D, and Canon's EF 50 mm f/1.8 II.

Nifty-Fifty may have started as a term for the cheaper (Nikon 1.8D) but its a coined term, not a brand. I have heard many people call the Nikon 50mm 1.8G a nifty-fifty. A single person or small group may try to stop a common name or term from evolving, but it rarely works.
 
I thought one of the reason why it is nifty is the cost. So if the lens cost a lot of money, it is not nifty anymore. :D
 
I thought one of the reason why it is nifty is the cost. So if the lens cost a lot of money, it is not nifty anymore. :D

I purchased a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D with a lens hood a while back for $150 from BH with free shipping. I just recently purchased a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G with lens hood from Adorama for $200 with free shipping. I would say both are pretty damn nifty then. ;)
 
haha, glad you made the right choice Ramos and joined us Nikon nuts!

Not to hijack this thread but I have discovered that the Sigma 50 1.4 surpasses the nifty Nikon 50's in alot of ways in my mind from the recent post I made, I would recommend the 35 1.8G if you are looking for a cheap and fast lens. Probably more usable for everyday shooting. A Sigma 50 1.4 though would be a good portrait lens!
 
What do you guys think?
282446_10150397309384348_821554347_10539543_6210615_n.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom