White balance question

Rgollar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what setting do most shoot in to get the best results. For example if its a bright sunny day do you set it to daylight. Or if its cloudy do you set it to cloudy? Or if I am using an external flash should I set it to flash? Or do most leave it on AWB. The other thing I was wondering does portrait and landscape mode make that much of a difference for what your shooting? Thanks

i usually leave it in auto, shoot in raw, and correct it in lightroom

I shoot custom WB 98% of the time. I also shoot raw 99.99% of the time, so any WB issues are easily corrected in post.

I shoot raw also and usually just adjust in lightroom. I just didnt know if there was a benifiet from changing it. I guess its time I go and play and test it out.

I shoot in RAW and correct in Aperture. I also happen to have a collapsable gray card. So any shots where white balance is critical (e.g. if I'm shooting for someone else instead of just shooting for myself) get a shot of the gray card in the same light that I plan to shoot the subjects -- which nails the white balance.

Note that in-camera white balance only applies to JPEG (it's never applied to a RAW in the camera -- otherwise it wouldn't really be a RAW.)

If you get frustrated with white balance problems, pick up a neutral gray card (e.g. 18% gray card or 12% gray card, etc.) and keep in your camera bag.

Thank you TCampbell for your info as I learned something new and just got done ordering a gray card also. Thanks all for the great advice.

..............Note that in-camera white balance only applies to JPEG (it's never applied to a RAW in the camera -- otherwise it wouldn't really be a RAW.)

Just a sidebar (to everyone interested, not just you, TC!), the WB may be applied in post depending on your software. You are free to change it if you wish... that's the beauty of raw.

If you get frustrated with white balance problems, pick up a neutral gray card (e.g. 18% gray card or 12% gray card, etc.) and keep in your camera bag.

I use a Robin Meyers gray card. Solid plastic, color throughout. So if it gets dirty or scratched, just take some sandpaper & smooth it out.... good as new! Not a printed paper card, so rain/dew/sweat won't make the ink run.

I shoot RAW and custom WB. Gives me consistent results

I'm a jpeg shooter. I find that setting the WB to the appropriate setting generally gets close enough that any corrections are minor in post work. If in doubt, I also have a three in one card that has black, grey and white, which allows me to fine tune the WB. And if it's a tricky situation, I use the RAW/jpeg button on my 7D to shoot a raw version as well.

I was wondering what setting do most shoot in to get the best results. For example if its a bright sunny day do you set it to daylight. Or if its cloudy do you set it to cloudy? Or if I am using an external flash should I set it to flash? Or do most leave it on AWB. The other thing I was wondering does portrait and landscape mode make that much of a difference for what your shooting? Thanks

Best result = custom white balance.

use a grey card or a white piece of paper if your in a pinch. Results will be perfect. Always shoot raw.

I can honestly say that white balance never enters my mind until I get to post. In lightroom I fix white balance usually with one click to groups of shots in similar lighting.
Outdoor shots very rarely require color adjustment, indoors almost always.
I leave it on auto.

Most reactions

Back