Who has Ice........... woke up with power still on...

Well driving was fun. Thank god for subarus and dedicated snow tires.

Well driving was fun. Thank god for subarus and dedicated snow tires.

YES YOU NEED THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE.. or stay home

We got our ice on Friday night, but some of it is still lingering around. Here was our tree yesterday morning.

$untitled-13-4.jpg

Lots of ice and no power since very early this morning. 25 min north of Toronto. Hydro company says up to 72 hours until the 300k plus people have power fully restored.

Lots of ice and no power since very early this morning. 25 min north of Toronto. Hydro company says up to 72 hours until the 300k plus people have power fully restored.

I am sorry to hear this. your the first one on this thread saying no power.. be safe.. hope you have a generator for warmth.. lots of luck to you for power restoration asap.

We've have a Gas fireplace so we've got heat, the kids were happy to play out on the ice most of the day. We had a glimmer of hope and had power for about 10 min a few hours ago but back to the dark right now. Took me an hour to find a coffee shop that had power and was open this morning. One side of our town has power. We've had a few invites from friends and family to go to their places if need be. My wife is hoping that the power isn't restored until lunch time tomorrow so she doesn't have to go to work. As for me, I'm off till the new year BUT I was supposed to finish Christmas shipping tomorrow :(

We've have a Gas fireplace so we've got heat, the kids were happy to play out on the ice most of the day. We had a glimmer of hope and had power for about 10 min a few hours ago but back to the dark right now. Took me an hour to find a coffee shop that had power and was open this morning. One side of our town has power. We've had a few invites from friends and family to go to their places if need be. My wife is hoping that the power isn't restored until lunch time tomorrow so she doesn't have to go to work. As for me, I'm off till the new year BUT I was supposed to finish Christmas shipping tomorrow :(

well I just cannot imagine going through this for you especially at Christmas.. when everything hopefully runs smooth.. but glad you have good neighbors and help nearby if needed.. keep us posted.. hope your back in the light soon.. this is no way to spend your vacation..

Well, if I can make a suggestion.. use it to your advantage. We had the power go out at our place once year for several days when my kids were still pretty young. Like you we had a fireplace so we weren't going to freeze to death and most of the basics covered. That first night the kids were getting antsy and bored - we lit up some candles and I went downstairs and grabbed the first book I could off the book shelf - Don Quixote. I brought it back upstairs and started reading it to the kids, though I did take a few liberties here and there with the language and overall story line. Before long I was acting out the characters in the story with my wife and kids help, traipsing around the living room with a wooden spoon in one hand and a sauce pan on my head.

That was a few years ago, and my kids still talk about it to this day. We spent the time with no internet, no tv, nothing but our own imaginations to keep ourselves entertained. I have to admit I was almost sorry to see the power come back on.

Toronto and surrounding area suffered one of the most severe ice storms in history. Although some of the ice accumulating on trees and landscapes was rather beautiful, thousands of residents were left without power for majority of the day due to damaged hydro wires caused by falling branches and freezing cables. Our house just got power back, we were without any since 7am this morning, our indoor temperature was a chilly 58 deg F before the furnace kicked in just recently.

Toronto and surrounding area suffered one of the most severe ice storms in history. Although some of the ice accumulating on trees and landscapes was rather beautiful, thousands of residents were left without power for majority of the day due to damaged hydro wires caused by falling branches and freezing cables. Our house just got power back, we were without any since 7am this morning, our indoor temperature was a chilly 58 deg F before the furnace kicked in just recently.
this happened to us back in 1991 ... it was like a war zone.. so many trees gone.. broken like twigs... hard to see beauty when theres so much devestation.. it took along time for things to look normal again... I am glad your back with heat.. we went 11 days without power.. and no matter what anyone says... it is not fun..... we rely on electricity for almost everything.. they should put the damn wires underground.......

It's a little colder today... It dropped to mid 70s and sunny all day :mrgreen:

Here in Toronto there's about 100,000 homes (down from 300,000) still without power after 3 days. The hydro people are amazing, they're working their asses off trying to get everyone power, but it's slow going because every time another tree branch falls on a wire there's new outages. It's about -10C (about 10F I think?) not including the windchill. Cold!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back