Who wants a free Broncolor monolight?

I would love this! I have one speedlite, but I have been wanting another flash so I can be more creative. I do portraits and nature photography. There are also a few experimental things I've been wanting to try, but haven't been able to because the set ups require more than one flash! I do photo shoots for free because I don't feel like I am good enough or have enough equipment to charge. This factor makes it hard to save up for things. I hope you will consider me! Even if you don't, you are doing a great thing. Thanks.

Could you folks who are throwing your name in the hat please post a link to some of your work or post a photo or two? Please include a photo you might actually shoot with the light. Nobody is going to be lighting macros of flowers or kids running around the backyard with this thing. It is basically a studio light.

The link to my flickr is in my sig.

7731343498_e861cc60cc_c.jpg

6801885664_21ebef93b1_c.jpg

6780244209_215efdac54_z.jpg

6897642906_a69db256b1_c.jpg

5313697987_85a8816fc8_z.jpg

7702853564_8c64e22d1d_c.jpg

7702852632_0b0126fdd4_c.jpg

5466804475_67c2712b46_z.jpg

7326125140_a3508d81ae_c.jpg

6611408731_ae14af6c0c_z.jpg

6611409097_aeb5839ef0_z.jpg

6611408183_d6ed57bc98_z.jpg

This one was with the new to me Interfit 2x3 sofbox w/eggcrate last night with a sb600, just for fun.

7764099368_841c16c17b_c.jpg

I don't have any backdrops yet. I'm acquiring my gear little by little..

$image-1471428874.jpg

$image-1084574422.jpg

^^^Same hear, You'll be amazed how much your system will have grown a few years from now!

Hmmmm... I had thought of sm4him and miiLovely (I THINK that's the name!) quick off, but there are definitely quite a few! Put names in a hat and draw!

Aww, thanks, MLeek! I appreciate that!

I should add that you really really need to already own a softbox or be able to buy one to make use of this light. You can occasionally find cheap Broncolor modifiers on eBay, but to give you an idea of how obscene the prices are, a standard 70 degree reflector retails for more than $250. A replacement flash tube retails on Adorama for about $175. Broncolor makes some of the best (and in my opinion probably the best) lights money can buy, but they have a price to match. With that in mind, this is probably not the right flash for someone who is extremely financially challenged. In other words, if you think you would have to just stop using it entirely when the flash tube dies, it's probably not for you. Think of this like you would think of someone giving away an older model Porsche for free. Sounds like a great deal but the maintenance alone can be prohibitively expensive for some folks.

Well, under NORMAL circumstances, I'd say that I could plan replacements into my budget, as I do with most things. But I'll be honest, I can't in good conscience claim I can do that for at least the next few months, depending on how some current things work out.

Also, while you're welcome to look at my Flickr page or 500px portfolio, there are really no shots there that would have been taken in a studio setting. As I said, for me, portrait photography is something I want to start working on, but to date the only ones I've done were my niece and her family (in an outdoor setting) and at my church--I don't have any of the photos from the sessions I did for church, and I wouldn't show them if I did. They were THAT bad, and they are a *part* of the reason why I want to work on that area.
One thing I would say about my pictures is that they have improved over the past year that I've been getting some help from some TPFers. I'm just now starting to work on portrait skills, but hopefully in a year they will have improved greatly as well. Decent equipment helps.

But then, I also don't know why I'm "defending" myself regarding what I'd do with it. I still think someone else should get it. :D Plenty of deserving folks who I'm sure would appreciate it and use it well!

Last edited:
I should add that you really really need to already own a softbox or be able to buy one to make use of this light. You can occasionally find cheap Broncolor modifiers on eBay, but to give you an idea of how obscene the prices are, a standard 70 degree reflector retails for more than $250. A replacement flash tube retails on Adorama for about $175. Broncolor makes some of the best (and in my opinion probably the best) lights money can buy, but they have a price to match. With that in mind, this is probably not the right flash for someone who is extremely financially challenged. In other words, if you think you would have to just stop using it entirely when the flash tube dies, it's probably not for you. Think of this like you would think of someone giving away an older model Porsche for free. Sounds like a great deal but the maintenance alone can be prohibitively expensive for some folks.

How often is replacing the tube needed or how often have you replaced them? Once, twice, three times per year? I'm a bulk buyer so I would buy 3 or four when the tax man sends me my refund!

I would love to throw my name into the hat if possible, I would love to use it to create a nice home studio setup and EVENTUALLY once it's ready, start to do local photo shoots.
So you could very well start me off in a career, which ofcourse would be a HUGE stepping stone.

Can view some of my work on CenArtGallery - Photography/Art that is more of my specific genre of shots, I will be doing more portraits and pet portraits in my local area.
Good luck to everyone (but ofcourse I hope I win :lol:)

Very generous of you by the way, bless you.

I would like to put my name in the hat. I new to photography and have be wanting to vol. at the aspca to take photos for their website the one thing that has been holding me back is my lack of good lighting. Animals are hard to photo without great light so this could really help. Plus as my skills grow I am sure I will use it more and more.
Flickr: Pic_Chick01's Photostream

How often is replacing the tube needed or how often have you replaced them? Once, twice, three times per year? I'm a bulk buyer so I would buy 3 or four when the tax man sends me my refund!

Good question. Flash tubes in general are very long-lasting. They can go years without needing replacement, depending on how often you use them. I've replaced this unit's tube once, and it was quite a while ago.

Good question. Flash tubes in general are very long-lasting. They can go years without needing replacement, depending on how often you use them. I've replaced this unit's tube once, and it was quite a while ago.

K and what about use with my current sb600s, would it either be one or the other? Would I be able to sync them all together using the broncolor as my main and the sb600 for background and a hair light?

I'd like to throw my name into the hat. I have been working a lot on my portrait photography over the last year or so seeing as its something i'm enjoying more and more as I get into it, My lighting is a bit lacking. And have been wanting to add to it. Not sure what else you want to know. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that are as deserving.

Caroline 0016s by Square1 photography, on Flickr

Caroline 0018s by Square1 photography, on Flickr

AprilM 0005s by Square1 photography, on Flickr

K and what about use with my current sb600s, would it either be one or the other? Would I be able to sync them all together using the broncolor as my main and the sb600 for background and a hair light?

Yep. I've used this as a key with portable flashes as fill or hair lights many times.

I'm NOT throwing my name in, but I want to say, "Thank-you" for your gesture. Someone is going to get a GREAT gift!

I'll withdraw my own request sent via PM and nominate Jake. I think he could make better use than I could.

Most reactions

Back