Whovians check in.

Zaphod2319

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How are you all enjoying the new Doctor? The Arachnids in the UK was the first kind of flat story for me. I really like how the focal point of the new season is not about the Doctor being a woman. A few jokes here and there is just fine with me.

I enjoy the idea of three companions, but I think long term it may be tough to develop all three characters. It also might be tough trying to get everyone enough dialog.

For me, this programme is rubbish, Dr who started in the 1960s where it should have been left.

I have watched Dr Who since I was a kid and still love it. The other TV show I loved was Catweazle.

I have no problem with a female Dr Who. I actually like her better than the last one although my all time favorite is Tom Baker, jelly baby?

I am interested in seeing if they develop all the companions or gradually cull some of them?

I recall watching Dr Who..30 years ago? Wow I'm old.
As I remember the one season was great. Then the Dr changed and I stopped watching. Back then I also had a crush on the cute blonde.

I was a Tom Baker kid growing up. I have two boys, youngest 14. Doctor Who has always been a show that has allowed a connection between us. It is sometimes very entertaining, sometimes misses the mark with me. Since the reboot I think David Tennent has done the best job. I think Matt Smith had some of the best writing.

I'm a huge David Tennent and Math Smith fan, but I tend to like them all. They all have their quirks, and even if I'm skeptical at first, I fall in love with each of them. I feel like Jodie Whittaker just fit right in.

I really like how the focal point of the new season is not about the Doctor being a woman.
YES! I was really worried they were going to do that, but thankfully, they are not.

The Arachnids in the UK was the first kind of flat story for me.
I agree. I'll put the rest in spoilers quotes in case someone is still going to watch it...

I tend to agree. The third episode kinda had me scratching my head. There wasn't anything "alien" about the arachnids. Yes, they were big and scary, but it wasn't alien. And, the way it ended, a "natural" death being trapped in a room and forced to starve to death? That doesn't seem humane at all.

I've read that this season is going to be "completely different" and they're going to "reinvent the show", but I'm weary of that. I liked it as it was, and I don't think it needs to change too much.

Who is/are your favorite villains/antagonists? I'm partial to Daleks and Weeping Angels. :)

The Master/Missy has always been my favorite. Although the Judoon only appeared in one episode with Tennent, I wish they would build on it.

ETA: the Judoon have had small bits in further episodes, but not the focus of a plot like when the hijacked the hospital to the moon.

Last edited:
ETA: the Judoon have had small bits in further episodes, but not the focus of a plot like when the hijacked the hospital to the moon.
That's true, but they weren't necessarily an antagonist, were they? Weren't they looking for the true villain?

I do agree, I wish we'd see more of them. They did pop up a few times after the hospital/moon episode (the first with Martha Jones, right?).

The very first showing of Doctor Who was actually late, 1963 was all news of JFK so it started later that evening, I was born in 1961 saw some repeats of the first year then watched the lot and loved them all.

I missed the first episode but watched all the rest through the 60s. Best Doctor was definitely William Hartnell.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I am a sporadic Doctor Who fan.
I started watching DW re-runs with Jon Pertwee (3rd) and I really thought it was a cool show (hmm, not sure how old I was). The "special" effects were great, and I fell in love with the theme music. I continued on with the 4th, Tom Baker, and I will agree that he was the best Doctor. After that I stopped watching ... not exactly sure why. I did see some episodes with Peter (5th) and later with 10th David Tennant (I think his eyes really make him a crazy Doc) ... and came back to watch the young Matt, which really worked on the Companions (which my wife liked) ... then sporadic again with Peter.
I have yet to see Jodie as I got rid of the Space Channel.

Last edited:
My thoughts on episode 5:

Started out ok, had some of the typical "Doctor" there, but it again ended kinda weird.

This season apparently has a TARDIS-phobia, as they never show it and they're never in it. And, the Doctor is always losing it. And, the ending always assumes everything is ok even though there are loose ends.

In episode 5, they were scavenging on some junk planet. Then, they get hurt by a surprise someone left for them, get picked up by an EMT/Red Cross ship, and the TARDIS is left behind. It had the shaping of a "oh no, someone is going to steal the TARDIS", but then all of that got left unanswered and forgotten at the end. I'm presuming everything is ok, but I guess we'll wait and see in the next episode. I feel like I've been saying that a lot this season.

The writing so far this season has been very B- or C-rated for me... stuff that you find in quasi-bad Sci-Fi movies and television shows. Episode 4 just leaves a bunch of spiders in a room to die (I really need to let that go at some point), and episode 5 leaves the whole group stranded away from the TARDIS--but presumes everything is fine.

Not only that, I'm surprised that so many people knew what a Pting was, but the Doctor didn't. It's not "uncommon" for the Doctor to not know what some alien life form is, but it was kind of odd when so many people were familiar with it except the Doctor. Anyways, the Pting is essentially Nibbler from Futurama--it eats anything and everything and poops out dark matter.

I'm enjoying the season thus far, I'm just wanting something a little more thought-provoking. Or, maybe I'm looking for a better villain? I liked the Ghost Monument episode, that was pretty cool. Or, maybe some more character development from.. someone. We get bits and pieces here and there, so I guess that's ok.

I have been patient so far, as it can take several episodes for an actor to get comfortable being the doctor. I think overall the writing has been all over the place and the companions have been out acting Jodie.

The Demons of Punjap is finally an episode where the writers were not trying to put 2 hours of plot into one hour. Jodie also slowed down that fanatic pace. It may not be perfect but it gives me hope. The writers did screw the pooch on one thing, if grandma was 20ish in 1947, she looks great for 90 now. The writers usually don't miss details like that.

I have been patient so far, as it can take several episodes for an actor to get comfortable being the doctor. I think overall the writing has been all over the place and the companions have been out acting Jodie.

The Demons of Punjap is finally an episode where the writers were not trying to put 2 hours of plot into one hour. Jodie also slowed down that fanatic pace. It may not be perfect but it gives me hope. The writers did screw the pooch on one thing, if grandma was 20ish in 1947, she looks great for 90 now. The writers usually don't miss details like that.
And the fact that Yaz's grandma would have known who Yaz et al having met them in 1947 and the Doctor marrying her, but I digress. That said, I do think Yaz's grandmother in 1947 was probably supposed to be younger than the actresses' actual age.

I do agree with you. The episode was much better than previous ones. The only thing that really bothered me was that the Doctor was ok with going back so that Yaz could essentially interact with her own timeline. The Doctor seemed to always be clear on not doing that, so it didn't make sense to me in this episode when the Doctor was like "we shouldn't, but OK!"

I also don't understand why this season is completely abandoning the TARDIS.

Most reactions

Back