Whovians check in.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Zaphod2319, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Zaphod2319

Zaphod2319 TPF Noob!

How are you all enjoying the new Doctor? The Arachnids in the UK was the first kind of flat story for me. I really like how the focal point of the new season is not about the Doctor being a woman. A few jokes here and there is just fine with me.

I enjoy the idea of three companions, but I think long term it may be tough to develop all three characters. It also might be tough trying to get everyone enough dialog.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

For me, this programme is rubbish, Dr who started in the 1960s where it should have been left.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. stapo49

stapo49 TPF Noob!

I have watched Dr Who since I was a kid and still love it. The other TV show I loved was Catweazle.

I have no problem with a female Dr Who. I actually like her better than the last one although my all time favorite is Tom Baker, jelly baby?

I am interested in seeing if they develop all the companions or gradually cull some of them?

4. InFlight

InFlight TPF Noob!

I recall watching Dr Who..30 years ago? Wow I'm old.
    As I remember the one season was great. Then the Dr changed and I stopped watching. Back then I also had a crush on the cute blonde.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zaphod2319

Zaphod2319 TPF Noob!

I was a Tom Baker kid growing up. I have two boys, youngest 14. Doctor Who has always been a show that has allowed a connection between us. It is sometimes very entertaining, sometimes misses the mark with me. Since the reboot I think David Tennent has done the best job. I think Matt Smith had some of the best writing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you

I'm a huge David Tennent and Math Smith fan, but I tend to like them all. They all have their quirks, and even if I'm skeptical at first, I fall in love with each of them. I feel like Jodie Whittaker just fit right in.

YES! I was really worried they were going to do that, but thankfully, they are not.

I agree. I'll put the rest in spoilers quotes in case someone is still going to watch it...

I tend to agree. The third episode kinda had me scratching my head. There wasn't anything "alien" about the arachnids. Yes, they were big and scary, but it wasn't alien. And, the way it ended, a "natural" death being trapped in a room and forced to starve to death? That doesn't seem humane at all.

I've read that this season is going to be "completely different" and they're going to "reinvent the show", but I'm weary of that. I liked it as it was, and I don't think it needs to change too much.

7. waday

Who is/are your favorite villains/antagonists? I'm partial to Daleks and Weeping Angels. :)

8. Zaphod2319

Zaphod2319 TPF Noob!

The Master/Missy has always been my favorite. Although the Judoon only appeared in one episode with Tennent, I wish they would build on it.

ETA: the Judoon have had small bits in further episodes, but not the focus of a plot like when the hijacked the hospital to the moon.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  9. waday

That's true, but they weren't necessarily an antagonist, were they? Weren't they looking for the true villain?

I do agree, I wish we'd see more of them. They did pop up a few times after the hospital/moon episode (the first with Martha Jones, right?).

10. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

The very first showing of Doctor Who was actually late, 1963 was all news of JFK so it started later that evening, I was born in 1961 saw some repeats of the first year then watched the lot and loved them all.

11. john.margetts

john.margetts TPF Noob!

I missed the first episode but watched all the rest through the 60s. Best Doctor was definitely William Hartnell.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada TPF Noob!

I am a sporadic Doctor Who fan.
    I started watching DW re-runs with Jon Pertwee (3rd) and I really thought it was a cool show (hmm, not sure how old I was). The "special" effects were great, and I fell in love with the theme music. I continued on with the 4th, Tom Baker, and I will agree that he was the best Doctor. After that I stopped watching ... not exactly sure why. I did see some episodes with Peter (5th) and later with 10th David Tennant (I think his eyes really make him a crazy Doc) ... and came back to watch the young Matt, which really worked on the Companions (which my wife liked) ... then sporadic again with Peter.
    I have yet to see Jodie as I got rid of the Space Channel.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018