Big Brother Really Is Watching You

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This has been known for awhile now, but the breadth and depth of it was really unknown until this week. Yahoo Mail is still scanning your emails for data to sell to advertisers My son is the IT Mgr of a large Federal Court. Most of the transactions and communications with the court from attorney is supposed to be via secure email. It was only discovered this week that not only the email sent by attorneys via their Yahoo accounts was being scanned but that from the court back to that Yahoo account was being scanned as well. Even worse any links to court cases within the emails were being compromised and scanned as well. Yahoo didn't have any answers to why they were scanning privileged information other then they shouldn't be doing that. For the time being the courts are blocking any emails from or to Yahoo accounts.

I think it is bang out of order that these big companies can spy on folk, they should be sued for many millions then they might stop it.

I think it is bang out of order that these big companies can spy on folk, they should be sued for many millions then they might stop it.
How/why? You don't really expect they're offering this "free" service for any altruistic reason do you? They're doing it to increase revenue and they will do that by whatever means they can.

How/why? You don't really expect they're offering this "free" service for any altruistic reason do you? They're doing it to increase revenue and they will do that by whatever means they can.

I think it should be banned for spying on courts and some things, but if they are want to spy then they should disclose what.

I like it when google puts things on my calendar for me.

Google is very helpful to shoppers.

I think it should be banned for spying on courts and some things, but if they are want to spy then they should disclose what.
I would submit that if the lawyers & courts are using Yahoo, THEY are the ones at fault.

The courts use secure servers for email, the attorneys however are cheapskates. It wasn't really the court's problem because the security breach was occurring on the attorney's end, however it was opening up a backdoor with the links that was a problem. The other thing was they were scanning both the free and the paid accounts.

The thing is it's all perfectly legal because if you use the service you agreed to their terms of service, you didn't have a choice accept or don't use it. Now they're discovering other things like web sites, software, etc., that are going above and beyond they first believed was being tracked. Yahoo is using a proprietary AI software to scan the email check the links, scan those, digest the information and put it in a format for sale.

Last edited:
It is one of those very tricky subjects, nearly everyone uses an email so like me I know that they will snoop and spy on folk. The only way you could stop it is, Never use the internet or a mobile phone at all but that won`t happen to me.

This has been known for awhile now, but the breadth and depth of it was really unknown until this week. Yahoo Mail is still scanning your emails for data to sell to advertisers My son is the IT Mgr of a large Federal Court. Most of the transactions and communications with the court from attorney is supposed to be via secure email. It was only discovered this week that not only the email sent by attorneys via their Yahoo accounts was being scanned but that from the court back to that Yahoo account was being scanned as well. Even worse any links to court cases within the emails were being compromised and scanned as well. Yahoo didn't have any answers to why they were scanning privileged information other then they shouldn't be doing that. For the time being the courts are blocking any emails from or to Yahoo accounts.

Then the court better block gmail, outlook.com.... basically all the free email providers scan emails. The data is used to support advertising which pays the bills.

Tim

Then the court better block gmail, outlook.com.... basically all the free email providers scan emails. The data is used to support advertising which pays the bills

Again not to the extent that Yahoo was doing by opening links and copying what it found there, plus the fact that they were scanning paid accounts as well. However all manner of electronic communication within, is undergoing extreme scrutiny now.

what's wrong with following links within the email?

what's wrong with following links within the email?

Attorneys can follow the links for copies of all court documents in the case, which down loads same. In addition to being sensitive information not for general distribution, the attorneys get one down load free, thereafter it costs them so much per page every time the link is clicked, so attorney's were getting billed for documents they never downloaded. The courts have firewalls, that limit information available but at the same time attorneys require access to documents concerning their clients. I don't use Yahoo, but others are similar. I've been going through checking privacy settings to opt out of all that crap.

So the problem really is the court is still operating online as it it's 1995? is their website members.aol.com?

literally all they need to do is update their robots.txt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back