Why are my photos turning out like this?

steventhomas9109

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been doing photography and videography for a while now. Using a t3i. love the camera. but recently I've noticed some weird stuff going on with my photos. I had a shoot last night with an awesome couple, and upon reviewing this photos it looks off. The one I'm going to be posting if you look at the top of the house there is some discoloration along the edges, and the picture in general looks blurry. during this shoot i tried Manual and auto focus. This shot was in auto focus, but the thing is in manual focus even if the shot was perfectly focused, it still had this same look. just trying to figure it out. the photo I'm uploading is raw, and has not been altered in anyway. Ignore the black in the corners. that was done intentionally while shooting. Any help is appreciated. my photos used to look so awesome, even with the kit lens which is what this was shot on. it was shot with the kit lens that comes with the canon t3i. the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens with a macro wide angle lens attached to it. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 341
Well, your using a kit lens, which aren't the greatest. I'd suggest getting a better lens if possible.

You can use most software to remove it, like Lightroom.

"..with a macro wide angle lens attached to it."

First, remove that attachment and take some test shots to see if they are any better without it.

the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens with a macro wide angle lens attached to it. Thanks everyone

What were you thinking? You start with a good, but not stellar, lens and then add that to the front of it - bad idea! Might as well add a few layers of saran wrap and smear it with marmalade to get 'warm' glows in your images.

You don't say which 'wide angle attachment' you used but most are pretty bad.

When you start saying things like "I had a shoot with…" seems to imply that this was prearranged and well thought out in advance by someone who knows what they are doing. You should have known better. I hope the 'awesome couple' won't be expected to pay an 'awesome fee' for the photos.

Yeah and if the pictures come out better without that attachment, and the attachment is clean, then throw it in the trash because it is a waste of space. (unless you need a paperweight)

Ditch the adaptor.

I suspect the wide-angle macro attachment is one of those that aims to reduce your focal length; to ergo make the shot wider than the lens would normally be capable of.

This market segment of products is typically focused at the fixed lens camera market (point and shoots/bridge cameras etc..) where they can't change the lens. So the wide-angle attachments slip into the market to give a wider angle of view.

So most of these adaptors won't be designed for a large lens and sensor like those found in a DSLR - performance (especially in the corner regions) will thus be significantly hampered. This is true even if you purchase a very good wide-angle adaptor - however to compound things further this market sector is full of a lot of cheap (and some not so cheap in price) optics that are very poor grade. They get away with it because many bridge/point and shoot users are not as demanding in image quality.

With a DSLR if you want wider with this kind of shot you really want to look at a wide angle lens. Note also that there is a method (I forget its name) where you can use a telephoto lens and get a wide angle shot, but taking a large series of shots, moving the camera each time so that they slightly overlap and basically stitching a wider angle scene like you would do for a panorama (you typically have to be quick with living subjects and editing might take some time to get right).

The kit lens isn't the problem... it's the thread-on wide angle adapter. You should remove that and re-shoot and I suspect you'll find the image quality is considerably improved.

Those "thread on" lenses (really diopters) tend to be extremely low quality optical quality.

So, you've got spherical aberration, chromatic aberration, and you seem to have vignetted by taking a picture of the lens shroud at the corners. Bad glass.

Kit lens is ok, I've got one looks much better than that.

If you put a Nikon 18-105mm into a Nikon D800E, you are going to see the same problem. Why? Because 18-105mm is not designed to fit into Nikon D800E. It takes shots in crop mode.
The issue is similar in your case I suspect.

it was shot with the kit lens that comes with the canon t3i. the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens with a macro wide angle lens attached to it.

additional lower cost elements plopped on front and disturbing the carefully constructed lens from the mfg.?

"Coke bottle bottom" look...the chromatic aberration is horrific, and the vignetting is also noticeable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back