Why are people with DSLRs not using flash?

im with alterego. If i am forced to use the popup flash, i normally give up on the photo. Its just not worth the effort, because its too harsh.

Quite ironic given the quote in your signature.

("You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.")

I've owned a hot shoe mounted, bounce flash 30 years ago, only flash I ever owned. Did shots all manually as I said in a previous post and understand the dynamics of this. I even offset the flash to not be in the same plane by using the flash bracket that I mentioned. Try bouncing off a 12 foot ceiling to a person 30 feet away and you'll propbably will go to direct fire. Or how about a colored wall or ceiling? I never had a TTL metered auto everything SLR as I do today, it seems that it controls the flash fine enough for non professional photos. Other than red eye and power what's the difference between the two types of flash firing directly at a subject?

I posted a photo that used the D90 pop up flash and the exif data I see is that it used an ISO of 800, 1/60th (flash speed that my D90 is set at) & f 5.6. Photo hasn't been retouched and I don't deem it's too harsh. If it was taken for a family gathering I see it as totally acceptable ... I've seen worse from so called professional photographers.

Foward facing flashguns (speedlites) are higher up from the lens than pop up flashes and therefore reduce/eliminate red-eye. You can also mount a diffuser easily to soften the light. Besides that, a hotshoe mounted flash lets you bounce!;)

if i bring my camera to a indoor party, sb-600 is on!

Why are people with DSLRs not using flash?

Typically, it's due to ignorance. The argument that "I only shoot natural light" is bogus as well. Without proper lighting, the camera is just a box that will capture an underexposed or poorly exposed image. Yes, some of today's higher end cameras with high ISO capabilities will render shots that were previously unattainable, but they can't necessarily balance the ambient and also get the subject looking as good as a well lit scene. That usually requires controlling the light of the scene by additional lighting. I won't hesitate to use my external flash on bright sunny days outside.

Good chance that some of them are like me.

I'd rather shoot at ISO 3200 and no pop up flash than to shoot at ISO 200-400 and use the pop up. I can handle grain a lot better than horribly harsh/flat lighting...and if you convert to b&w, the grain is often times a nice touch anyway (in my opinion and tastes).

The pop up flash does, really suck. I hate taking pictures in the house when there is hardly light because the pop up flash doesn't get the job done for me.

Personally, I'm amazed people will say they'd rather not make a shot than to make a shot with the pop-up flash. Granted, I agree that the light it generates is harsh and flat, and I to, would rather crank the ISO and open the aperture than use the pop-up flash. However, if I am in a situation where the only way to get the shot is with the pop-up, then I won't hesitate to use it.

In the end, the most important thing is making the shot. If you make some blanket rule of, "I never use the pop-up flash!" then I question you as a photographer.

A bad shot due to equipment limitations is better than no shot at all.

In the end, the most important thing is making the shot. If you make some blanket rule of, "I never use the pop-up flash!" then I question you as a photographer.

"As a photographer," I'm going to hate the end-result with the pop-up flash, which likely means the photo would end up in the trash anyways. I never use the pop-up flash (but, again, I have speedlights available -- this is more for discussion's sake).

If a speedlight is not an option, then I can agree with you if we're talking about a snapshot/family event/once-in-a-lifetime type of shot, etc.

I just picked one of these up and it works quite well.

Gary Fong Pop-Up diffuser
522116.jpg

puffer.jpg

I would rather use the pop-up than get no shot at all. (I actually would use my speedlight). But, if my speedlight were broke, I would still use my flash if there was not enough light to get the shot without it.

The pop-up can give you harsh results sometimes, but adjusting camera controls can help overcome some of the harshness:
  • Over-exposed/blown - use flash exposure compensation or FV Lock (flash exposure lock, if avaialble on your camera). Also, understand where your flash meters for exposure. If your camera meters for flash in the center of the frame (many do) and your subject is off center, and whatever is in the center is quite a distance back, you likely will see overexposure from the flash. In this situtation the camera meters the background (in the center of the frame) and adjusts flash power for that instead of your subject which is closer.
  • Red-eye - Fix it in PP
  • Flat and "harsh" looking - Drag the shutter (Explanation: 03 – dragging the shutter Neil vN – tangents). Balance flash with the ambient light using slow-rear sync. Results vary with this method, but going to full manual and adjusting your ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture and Flash in TTL Slow Rear you can get some good results. EDIT TO ADD: If you're really unfamiliar with all the settings to adjust, and your camera has "scene modes" you might try "night portrait" (it might be called slightly different on diffferent models). It essentially does the same thing, but without any refining control. If your subject is moving too much this won't work real well. If they are moving in a constant direction (dancing?) you could try following them (panning) using this method.
In some situations I used my on-board flash and I was actually surprised at the result in aperture priority and making no other flash adjustments like mentioned above. I have not always gotten harsh results, though I understand you often do, if you make no other adjustments (again, some ideas are listed above).

Most of this assumes the subject isn't across a large room and they are within "normal" flash range.

I agree, there are situations where no flash and bumping the ISO might be the better way to go. But I personally wouldn't skip a shot opportunity if my only option was to add light with a flash, even if all I had was a pop-up.

Last edited:
"I never use the pop-up flash!"
I never use a pop-up flash!

Question me all you want, but the 580exII mounted on the hot shoe keeps the pop up flash from opening.

:thumbup: Same here....except I can't say exactly the same. I use my pop up flash a lot actually....it's just that it's used to remotely fire the SB-600 off camera.

I never use the pop-up for a light source...that's why I have an SB_600 for bouncing.

I haven't got a pop-up flash!

That said, a nice bounce flash for a group photo can do a lot for it.

If a speedlight is not an option, then I can agree with you if we're talking about a snapshot/family event/once-in-a-lifetime type of shot, etc.

So in other words, we're in agreement. There is a time and a place where the pop-up flash could be used. I hate the thing too, but if that's the only way I can get a shot, I will use it, and apparently you will to. I'm going to Disneyland next weekend for my daughters birthday. Since I'm already going to have to carry a backpack full of stuff for us, I'm in a situation where I need to limit what I bring in. I will likely bring only my camera body and a lens. My strobe just takes up too much precious space. If I need to make a shot, I'll use the pop-up because I need the shot. It would be stupid of me to miss a shot, simply because the lighting is too harsh and flat. People like to make these absolute, blanket statements about photography (I always, or, I never) when all that's doing is limiting themselves.

If I am doing a model shoot, and I forget to bring my lights, am I going to use the pop-up flash? No way. I'll likely get fired for being an unprofessional, unprepared photographer. But if I'm out shooting for my own sake, and I don't have a particular piece of equipment to make a great shot, I'll make do with what I have. It is foolish to say that you'd rather not make a shot than have to use the pop-up. You could miss the photo of a lifetime.

This goes along the lines of the people who will say to "never go above ISO 800 because of noise!" or "you always need to follow the RoT!" You simply cannot make absolute, blanket rules when it comes to photography. We, as photographers need to be able to adapt and use whatever equipment and skills we have on hand to make the shot, and not resort to ignorant, absolute statements that end up stifling our creativity.

I don't use my pop-up all the time, and actually, I rarely use the thing, but I'm also not afraid to use it if it's the only way to get a shot. As was in someone's signature, who actually made the statement they would rather not take the shot than to use the pop-up, "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."

EDIT: I just want to make it abundantly clear, I don't really agree with the OPs premise. If I saw a bunch of people at a party using DSLR's without the pop-up flash, I would likely shed a tear of happiness to know that they are doing what they can to make their photos look nicer. I don't like the pop-up flash, and I will shoot at max ISO and down to a shutter speed as low as 1/15 sec before popping up that flash. My point is that if you need to use it, use it. Don't make absolute statements that end up killing off your creativity. A missed shot can never be re-taken.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back