Why beginners follow rules and pro breaks them?

You can never take too long to compose a shot. As long as you are thinking about what you are doing, or what you intend to do with the photograph, you are on the right track.

That's only true for landscape. Your clients won't be please if each time you shoot you take 5 minutes to compose.
No, I'm pretty sure it's true for all situations. Beginners usually don't have clients. And there are six billion people on the planet doing all kinds of things -- there are always moments to capture.

When I learned guitar, I was told to play as slowly and as accurately as possible. Obviously I knew I wouldn't always be so slow, but I think if I hadn't taken the time for correct practice, I wouldn't be nearly as good or as accurate as I am now.

I was trying to suggest that it is far more useful to think and compose, and not worry about "missing the shot".

Nonsense. Practice until you are fast. Then practice some more. if you miss the shot you have nothing.

Okay wtf, a friend on mine went took a photography class at her school. Apparently they told her there that if you shoot things at an angle, it looks cool, so she has been going around shooting at an angle a lot. They didn't tell her when it was applicable or why it was "cool" in the first place. Here is one of the shots she took on her trip to Prague. Tell me, does this angle really work for this type of shot? Because if it was up to me I'd say no. Old architecture ffs.

IMG_0602.jpg

Oh hell no! This is hideous!

^^^^^I feel like the cars are going to slip and fall to the other side.

Yes, but they paid to have their photo's taken, not to be tortured. Seriously, if you take anymore than 5 minutes to get that "perfect" shot, your client won't be in such a good mood to continue on.

Considering my clients pay for a half a day minimum, I don't think they'd be too happy if I announced we were done after 5 minutes :lmao:

By the way, do you know why good models get paid so well? Because their job is kind of like torture.

Okay wtf, a friend on mine went took a photography class at her school. Apparently they told her there that if you shoot things at an angle, it looks cool, so she has been going around shooting at an angle a lot. They didn't tell her when it was applicable or why it was "cool" in the first place. Here is one of the shots she took on her trip to Prague. Tell me, does this angle really work for this type of shot? Because if it was up to me I'd say no. Old architecture ffs.

Well, I guess we can now say for sure that not all schools (or teachers) are created equal. Was the class your friend took called "Shooting for FaceBook"? :lol:

My way of deciding whether or not it works is very simple. If I have to tilt my head to look at the photo, the slant didn't work. A slanted photo that works is therefore one that I can look at straight on. PERIOD.

^^^^models get paid, your client does not. I don't expect a photoshoot to end in 5 minutes....but that would be an entire photoshoot, containing many poses.

Most reactions

Back