Why do these DSLR cameras not have wifi built in?

USCRugbyNo1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It would seem so much easier to move pics from camera to computer. Just seems logical to me. :meh:

Because then the wouldn't be able to sell the wireless transmitters they make. All business.

Whats logical to us is not logical to the corporation making the product.

It would seem so much easier to move pics from camera to computer. Just seems logical to me. :meh:

They will eventually. The new Nikon D4 has majorly awesome tethering abilities. Just give it a few years.

I just want the ability to connect to my network and take photos off the card without pulling it out. It will be a standard in a few years.

There's an accessory that does it now, eventually the technology will advance so it's small enough and cheap enough to put inside the cam without making a fuss... just like light meters.

Who has time to wait all for wifi. Just shoving the card in the 'puter is slow enough, and that 50,000 times faster than an airwave connection

kids these days...when I was young, you had to rewind your roll of film and drop it off at the lab.
You had to actually WANT your pictures.

Who has time to wait all for wifi. Just shoving the card in the 'puter is slow enough, and that 50,000 times faster than an airwave connection

I think this is something most people overlook when they think of wireless shooting, or even tethered with a cable... transmission speeds would be MUCH slower than the card write speed. You wouldn't be doing any continuous shooting over WiFi... you'd be doing a lot of waiting.

I just want the ability to connect to my network and take photos off the card without pulling it out. It will be a standard in a few years.
All of my cameras came with this little thing that prevents me having to take the card out. It's called a "USB Cable". I plug it in the side of the camera, the software starts up automatically, I click one button, and unplug the camera.

You can also shoot "tethered" to a computer using the right software (depends on what camera and OS you have). That way the images can be instantly reviewed on a larger screen to check focus, or lighting, or show to clients as you shoot, etc.

Who wants to wait for half a hour to load photos to the PC?
Who wants to shoot at 0.25FPS while you wait for the buffer to read out over WiFi.

Lets face it the process of getting data from the Camera to the PC is slow enough as it is. Give me USB3.0, and decent read bandwidth in the camera anyday.

Also Wifi has been an optional extra for Nikon's high end cameras since the D2X.

There's an accessory that does it now, eventually the technology will advance so it's small enough and cheap enough to put inside the cam without making a fuss... just like light meters.

The technology is there to get it in an SD card bro... I think if they wanted to integrate it into the camera, it could have EASILY been done by now, and fairly cheap too.

Why not have wifi with phone capabilities, if you wanted to make a long distance call just put a 300mm on the body, for local calls, a 50mm. Also add internet capabilities so you can just watch shows on how to go out and learn to take pictures. Better yet just have someone else take the pictures, that way you don't have to worry about the War and Peace sized instruction manual that would come with the camera. I forgot the remote car starter and hair cutting abilities.

How difficult is it to just put a card in and take one out? Are the photos you shoot so important that spending an extra 30 seconds matters. Is the world waiting for the next photo you shoot?

Technology has highjacked the learning curve to really understand photography, It's not about speed, it's about spending the time and enjoying what can be produced with the brain behind the the piece of hardware in your hands. Why does everyone keep pushing for faster cameras, when all it takes is a single frame to produce a great image?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back