Why do you take photographs?

My eyes are my camera.
I see images clearest with my eyes.

Unfortunately, my brain doesn't record everything,
so I use a camera so I can look back, and store those images for rememberance. :)

My eyes are my camera.
I see images clearest with my eyes.

Unfortunately, my brain doesn't record everything,
so I use a camera so I can look back, and store those images for rememberance. :)
I do a bit of that too. I will often photograph something in the wild so I can examine it at my leisure later - and identify it, which I could rarely do from memory.

The truth is some people are addicted to alcohol and some to drugs, me its taking photographs as best I can....
I remember learning about coping strategies in psychology (actually my partner was the psychologist, but I learnt some too). Photography sounds like a much more positive coping strategy than alcohol or drugs.

Some people I know love the technology and the photos are just a byproduct.
My uncle used to listen to his audio system on this basis. He did not care less which record was playing, the music was just a means to hear the quality of the reproduction.

Why do I take photographs? What else am I to do with all my cameras? Seriously, I want to capture all the pictures I am continually seeing.
I think I know your Uncle. :)

I took up photography because of my background in art and design, I've always been fascinated with capturing that moment in time and was totally over the moon when phones started incorporating cameras in them, but then I wanted to take it further and wanted more control so I bought my first DSLR back in late 2016. I also have a massive interest in wildlife and nature and since having a camera allowed me to appreciate it more, it's certainly got me outdoors more than I would normally be.

The post processing is pretty much second nature to me and I could spend hours at my pc editing photos, I find it so relaxing, but I normally only spend a few minutes per photo, if it needs more I generally just leave / bin it. Finally hopefully sell a few prints, not make a career of it (because I already have one that is cool and enjoy), but just some extra pennies to throw more money down the rabbit hole!

In 1983 I took 2 classes in college to determine my fate. One was a photo course the other was in computer science. Got an A+ in the photo course a D in the computer one. Fate was sealed, photography is to be my profession.
Funny thing is I never wanted to sit at a desk in front of a computer. Photoshop has changed that. Oh the irony!

Why not.....?
But why this particular why not, rather than all the other possible why nots?
I think "why not" is a wonderful answer. Honestly I don't think everyone needs a better answer than this, especially if they just do it because they have a camera and want to, in which case the answer is absolutely "why not?"

I take photographs because it is one of my 472 hobbies. (at last count). They all have several things in common.

I will not be the best, astronomer, skeet shooter, amateur radio operator, photographer, banjo picker, canoe man, snowshoer, fly fisherman, rifle maker, colonial re-enactor or mini-golfer to name a few; all of these and many more hold an irresistible intellectual challenge, as they allow me to work with my hands and most of them allow me access to the out of doors.

The reason I make photographs is I find it to be really gratifying pleasing other people. Of course, most of the work I do at my job is to generate income. But even there, I have to say if I not getting any excitement from my clients, the job is less rewarding.

As a kid in high school, shooting for the yearbook, the staff would give me great feedback. Now, at the other end of it all, nothing is as good to me as a mother who loves the portrait I made of her kid, or the commercial client who tells me he knows it's my work that has helped his company grow.

I think the professionals will tell you that there is a fundamental difference between "taking" photographs and "making" photographs. And making photographs that bring some joy into the lives of others is one of the most gratifying things a person can do. Technical excellence is a close second.

So I suppose it's really sort of a selfish thing for me. I love the way it makes me feel when I do my job well.

I love to take images as when I get that one image I love then I am happy, and so are the folk who I photograph.

I take photos as a communication. ...I like taking the photos ... but I can't be bothered with ... the showing to people part.

So then... who are you communicating with? I'm not trying to trip you up. Just trying to hear what you're saying.

-Pete
I didn't put that very well. What I meant was that I process so many photographs and I can get sick of the processing part. I love being in the forest and showing people what I see. Sometimes that is directed a little by what others wish to pay for, but is essentially it is still the forest and I am doing what I love. I process all of the photos I take in the forest or of the forest (at least all the keepers). The parts of the photographic process that I enjoy the least are processing and marketing.
A few days ago I was invited to an indigenous rugby league carnival to take some photos. I took a lot of photos of the games - about 800. Taking them was fun, but processing the best of them (over 100) was not so much, so I left that partly to someone else (lucky to have someone else). So what I meant in my first post was that photography (like most things) is part pure enjoyment and part hard work. I will usually drop the hard work part first, if it doesn't matter or someone else will do it. My major income comes from films where I make some of the timelapse. Somebody else does all the editing, marketing etc, which suits me just fine. With still photos I do most of it, though the marketing is almost always somebody else's problem. Fortunately there is usually a somebody else who likes doing the marketing.

The reason I make photographs is I find it to be really gratifying pleasing other people. Of course, most of the work I do at my job is to generate income. But even there, I have to say if I not getting any excitement from my clients, the job is less rewarding.

As a kid in high school, shooting for the yearbook, the staff would give me great feedback. Now, at the other end of it all, nothing is as good to me as a mother who loves the portrait I made of her kid, or the commercial client who tells me he knows it's my work that has helped his company grow.

I think the professionals will tell you that there is a fundamental difference between "taking" photographs and "making" photographs. And making photographs that bring some joy into the lives of others is one of the most gratifying things a person can do. Technical excellence is a close second.

So I suppose it's really sort of a selfish thing for me. I love the way it makes me feel when I do my job well.
But why photography? You could be an actor, a cook, a financial consultant or computer repairman and still please other people if you do your job well. Why photography?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back