Why do you take photographs?

Bollygum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have asked this question on other forums , but I still find it a fascinating question, so I thought I'd ask it here.
I take photos as a communication. It allows me to describe things in ways that are just not possible without. My main subject is fungi, where I take still or moving pictures and I have found it very effective as a communications medium. I take lots of other photos as well, but they are all a communication. Sometimes I don't ever get around to processing them as I find that saying things with photos takes an effort and sometimes the effort seems too much. I like taking the photos and seeing that I have got some good ones, but I can't be bothered with the post processing and the showing to people part. So I generally stick to the things that I love the most and that I have channels of communication for.
Some people I know love the technology and the photos are just a byproduct. They are mostly used to verify how well, or badly, the equipment is working. Not my idea of a good hobby, but they certainly help me to stay up to date with the technology.
Some say they do it because they can't paint. Which of course leads to the question, "why do you want to paint?"

I take photos because I enjoy taking something that I see in my own way and translating that vision to a photo. I also really enjoy the solitude of the creative process. Like many people on this forum, I can spend many happy hours just me and my camera.

A “side effect” of this hobby is that it’s given me a new appreciation of nature. It really makes you SEE what’s around you.

That is something that I understand. I will often go into the forest and stay for hours because of photography. It slows me down and makes me see things that I would otherwise not see. This was one of the main drivers for me to get into photography in the first place - and still is.

It's my profession. It's what I do. It's what I love. It's turning an idea in my head into something tangible and post process is part of it. It's also amazing to know that my photos will be passed on for generations, and they will be around for people to cherish long after I'm gone.

It's my profession. It's what I do. It's what I love. It's turning an idea in my head into something tangible and post process is part of it. It's also amazing to know that my photos will be passed on for generations, and they will be around for people to cherish long after I'm gone.
I probably wrote my first post in a way that was open to misinterpretation. For the photos I consider most important, I do the whole job, which includes the post processing. Those include the photos that I sell or that are very important to me in other ways. I admit to not loving the post processing as much as I love the photography, but much of that is due to location. In front of a computer vs in a forest, and I probably spend more time now in front of the computer as post processing can take a lot of time. Most of my work involves time lapse or focus stacking so quite time consuming.
I always try to make the tools of my trade as simple and easy as possible, but to get the best pictures I have to use modern, sophisticated equipment. Where I manage to excel, is that I am technically good, I do have some artistic ability (so I am told) and I have an intense fascination and understanding of my chosen subject (fungi). I have always focused on the big picture and that has seemed to have paid off as I never planned to be a professional photographer. I had planned to retire. Still, it provides me with more than enough rewards to keep going. In part this is money but much more than that too - which is the reason I asked the question.

I probably wrote my first post in a way that was open to misinterpretation. For the photos I consider most important, I do the whole job, which includes the post processing. Those include the photos that I sell or that are very important to me in other ways. I admit to not loving the post processing as much as I love the photography, but much of that is due to location. In front of a computer vs in a forest, and I probably spend more time now in front of the computer as post processing can take a lot of time. Most of my work involves time lapse or focus stacking so quite time consuming.
I always try to make the tools of my trade as simple and easy as possible, but to get the best pictures I have to use modern, sophisticated equipment. Where I manage to excel, is that I am technically good, I do have some artistic ability (so I am told) and I have an intense fascination and understanding of my chosen subject (fungi). I have always focused on the big picture and that has seemed to have paid off as I never planned to be a professional photographer. I had planned to retire. Still, it provides me with more than enough rewards to keep going. In part this is money but much more than that too - which is the reason I asked the question.

To be honest, what other people do with their photos is their choice. Post process is important to what I do but it may not be for someone else It's not for me to judge. :)

I do it because of my love for what I see in this world and my wish to share it with others.

Some people I know love the technology and the photos are just a byproduct.
My uncle used to listen to his audio system on this basis. He did not care less which record was playing, the music was just a means to hear the quality of the reproduction.

Why do I take photographs? What else am I to do with all my cameras? Seriously, I want to capture all the pictures I am continually seeing.

Because I spent a bunch of money on a camera so I figure I should use it.

Oh, yeah; It allows me to capture memories and express my feelings, my thoughts and how I see the world.

The truth is some people are addicted to alcohol and some to drugs, me its taking photographs as best I can....

Most reactions

Back