Why doesn't Fuji make any consumer DSLRs?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know they have their S series, but other than that, nothing.

I would think they could really make a killing with their cameras if they made some. They already have positive name brand recognition, which is a lot of the battle. And I know they use the F-Mount on their professional bodies, maybe they could on their consumer ones. The possibilities would be endless if so!!!

I know its easy to be an armchair businessman, and there's definitely a lot more to this than I'm making it out to be. But I am surprised to see them have point and shoots, professional DSLRs, and nothing in between.

What does everyone else think?

I think you're right to wonder... and being an arm-chairman (pun!) I wonder about other companies' business decisions as well...

I believe they sell sensors, so they're in the business anyway.

Also, there are so many dSLR vendors at this point that the only way to win is through marketing. You have to have deep pockets, and be willing to make a major commitment, to play in that league. Competing against Sony is not for the faint of heart.

i had an S5 for while. i didn't care for it too much. it had some neat characteristics, but ultimately didn't see much use for it. i shoot RAW all the time away. menu system in it was kind of bizarre, as well.
it's a niche camera. and i think fuji did a decent job of that. as Iron Flatline says, there's a huge commitment in competing with the bigger names. fuji instead found a place working with them.

if they did enter the market this might not be the best time. I would say they might make a mark by working down from pro to prosumer to consumer.

And if they could produce every model with different mounts that would make a nice indent in canon nikkon or pentax.

Why did IBM sell off their laptop business?

Because they could make a lot more money concentrating on what they were best at.

You really don't need to be the biggest company around, just big enough to be comfortable in hard times and fat in the good times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back