What's new

Why professionals dislke some amateurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
......... I may be wrong, but I think photography would be the only real career where amateurs actually effect the professionals on a regular basis.......

Well, you are wrong on this. Just think of all the building professionals (myself included) that are affected every time Joe Sixpack waddles into Home Depot and loads up on shingles or PVC pipe or wire or two-bys......

Ya think auto mechanics are thrilled with O'Rileys and AutoZone?
 
If my livelihood was dependent on taking photos, and I was hired to produce quality photos... I would think my position takes authority over those with iPhones.

It's not "elitism."

It's "I have to create a quality product to support my family, so don't impede on my ability to do that."

Employers don't care about excuses. If you miss a shot because you didn't want to be a little forward to someone who is making your job more difficult, then that's on you and, you should probably look for another profession.

That's a joke right? If I have the same access to an area that you do, I could care less what you're there for or who you work for. That's the lamest argument I've heard yet.

That's probably because you missed my point.

I'm not saying you should care. I'm saying that - thinking that a pro is "pretentious" just because he's trying to put food on the table is dumb.

How can one be pretentious if they're simply fulfilling their purpose?

And I'm also saying that if I have a job to do then don't always expect me to just find another spot or be like "would you ever so kindly step to your right." I might say "excuse me" but beyond that I'm going to try and get a shot regardless of your opinion of me.

I guess I made the mistake of believing in civility or mutual understanding. My bad.

I got your point, but it has nothing to do with being a pro or an amateur. It's simple common courtesy that's lacking from the guy in Imagemaker's shot. In that instance I would have said more than "excuse me."

It becomes pretentious when someone thinks the world owes them something because they are a "Pro" photographer.
 
Ok, look.

I don't like this thread. At all. It hasn't gone completely off the rails yet, but it's teetering... and it's going to flip right over in about 6-8 more posts. Tops.

I'll tell you flat-out that I'm about <-this-> close to starting a campaign of just locking ANY thread that has the word AMATEUR or PROFESSIONAL in the topic, because they ALWAYS devolve and I'm really EXTREMELY tired of it.

I don't feel like the thread has really gotten to a point where I can arguably justify locking it, so I won't... so you can consider this my firm warning.
 
......... I may be wrong, but I think photography would be the only real career where amateurs actually effect the professionals on a regular basis.......

Well, you are wrong on this. Just think of all the building professionals (myself included) that are affected every time Joe Sixpack waddles into Home Depot and loads up on shingles or PVC pipe or wire or two-bys......

Ya think auto mechanics are thrilled with O'Rileys and AutoZone?

OH OH OH O'Rileys has such a catchy jingle though! :lol:
 
Ok, look.

I don't like this thread. At all. It hasn't gone completely off the rails yet, but it's teetering... and it's going to flip right over in about 6-8 more posts. Tops.

I'll tell you flat-out that I'm about <-this-> close to starting a campaign of just locking ANY thread that has the word AMATEUR or PROFESSIONAL in the topic, because they ALWAYS devolve and I'm really EXTREMELY tired of it.

I don't feel like the thread has really gotten to a point where I can arguably justify locking it, so I won't... so you can consider this my firm warning.


I bet you won't. :greenpbl:
 
......... I may be wrong, but I think photography would be the only real career where amateurs actually effect the professionals on a regular basis.......

Well, you are wrong on this. Just think of all the building professionals (myself included) that are affected every time Joe Sixpack waddles into Home Depot and loads up on shingles or PVC pipe or wire or two-bys......

Ya think auto mechanics are thrilled with O'Rileys and AutoZone?

For me it's always "Dr." neighbor. I have wasted countless valuable minutes responding to ridiculous claims such as "My neighbor said I won't need to take this Lamisil if I just cover the toenail with mayonnaise three times a day..."
 
Ok, look.

I don't like this thread. At all. It hasn't gone completely off the rails yet, but it's teetering... and it's going to flip right over in about 6-8 more posts. Tops.

I'll tell you flat-out that I'm about <-this-> close to starting a campaign of just locking ANY thread that has the word AMATEUR or PROFESSIONAL in the topic, because they ALWAYS devolve and I'm really EXTREMELY tired of it.

I don't feel like the thread has really gotten to a point where I can arguably justify locking it, so I won't... so you can consider this my firm warning.

Lock the threads that exclude the words professional or amateur and you may as well just shut the site down, there have been so many threads on here that have been locked simply because some Admin didn't agree with what was being said, or what was said. I understand that the admins have to keep things under some kind of control, but having someone come on and threaten to shut down a thread that I might post making a statement about why amateurs don't understand what being a professional photographer has to put up with, or giving people my insight to how I cover events as a professional. Go right ahead and pull the power play, don't threaten, just do it. It would be an amateur move.

One of the few professional photographers on this site that has the guts to be honest.
 
And that's a lock.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom