What's new

Why professionals dislke some amateurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could read most people's minds it would go something like this: "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me!".
You mean, "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me... SQUIRREL!" don't you?

Surely its "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me... BACON!......OH PH" CLICK "OTO"
 
Amateurs being amateurs have no clue about what the pros are doing or how their actions may affect the pro's efforts. Considerate people will at least listen to reason, but then there are those who will not.

And don't give me that crap about "it takes all kinds". The world has too many asshats.
 
We live in a society where you stop your car and let people walk across the parking lot ... and the people STROLL ... DIAGONALLY ... in front of you ... no hurry, there pardner, take your time.

It's not a Pro or Amateur issue. It's just a people and consideration issue.
 
I would not have stepped in front waving a credential saying "pro coming through", Unfortunately not everyone works the way I do, or understands what professionals have to put up with on a regular basis


Whether you guys realize this or not, more photographer's have this attitude than your comments show. Photographers arent the only people that deal with ignorance and ignorant people. My whole point here is, you guys arent special. We all deal with ignorant people that have no clue what we go through on a daily basis, at work at home, in life. Again, we all get paid to do something, thats no excuse to expect people to bow down and give you the right away when ever you get your panties in a bunch. I understand you guys work hard, I work hard too. I know your job isnt easy, you spent thousands of dollars on equipment and software to feed your family and pay your bills. When I was a mechanic I had a full tool box worth 30 thousand dollars. Spent hundreds of hours in school and thousands of hours at work learning to fix automobiles, all while getting called a crook and a ripoff, everyone has an uncle that can fix cars for free. I get that it sucks when someone jumps the fence a screws up every ones pictures. Im not defending that ignorance, I already stated that. I respect what you do, I do it for fun and see how hard it can be and what you have to go through to get the perfect shot. But in the end, it still goes both ways. You guys arent the only ones.
 
We live in a society where you stop your car and let people walk across the parking lot ... and the people STROLL ... DIAGONALLY ... in front of you ... no hurry, there pardner, take your time.

It's not a Pro or Amateur issue. It's just a people and consideration issue.

See... this is where evolution has failed. In a no-holds-barred race for survival, you should be allowed to run over those people who are not intelligent nor considerate enough to actually look around before walking out in an area designed for vehicular traffic. HONESTLY... I had a Beagle/German-Shepherd mix "mutt" dog that we rescued from the humane society that was smart enough to look before walking into the road (I'm not kidding). If a person is not smart enough to be aware of their surroundings, do we REALLY want their genes going back into the gene pool that sponsors the next generation of humans?

If Darwinism is to succeed, it is critically important that we NOT attempt to save the stupid people. The survival of the human species may well depend on it. :mrgreen:

Or, as a recent meme said "I'm not saying we just kill all the stupid people... I'm merely suggesting that we remove the warning stickers and leg nature sort things out."

(Apologies: That *may* be my third martini which is responsible for writing this post.)
 
University of Louisville Basketball Media Day, my sister, a pro, sets up a wide-angle shot of the team in a circle looking down at her shooting up at them while lying on her back and she gets some a-hole "fellow sports shooter" sticking his camera in from between player's legs ruining her shot. Really? Media Day? I guess anyone can get credentialed these days.
 
I think this is more of a commentary on how little people care for anyone besides themselves these days. I've seen both pros and amateurs alike doing this at events. I think it's pretty sad.

We live in a society where you stop your car and let people walk across the parking lot ... and the people STROLL ... DIAGONALLY ... in front of you ... no hurry, there pardner, take your time.

It's not a Pro or Amateur issue. It's just a people and consideration issue.

See... this is where evolution has failed. In a no-holds-barred race for survival, you should be allowed to run over those people who are not intelligent nor considerate enough to actually look around before walking out in an area designed for vehicular traffic. HONESTLY... I had a Beagle/German-Shepherd mix "mutt" dog that we rescued from the humane society that was smart enough to look before walking into the road (I'm not kidding). If a person is not smart enough to be aware of their surroundings, do we REALLY want their genes going back into the gene pool that sponsors the next generation of humans?

If Darwinism is to succeed, it is critically important that we NOT attempt to save the stupid people. The survival of the human species may well depend on it. :mrgreen:

Or, as a recent meme said "I'm not saying we just kill all the stupid people... I'm merely suggesting that we remove the warning stickers and leg nature sort things out."

(Apologies: That *may* be my third martini which is responsible for writing this post.)

I just have to add on here because I just read this, and I think it's amazing. Aso: I'm stone-cold sober.
 
Last edited:
It's all about R_E_S_P_E_C_T. That's a part of society that has almost completely been put aside in the past 30-40 years or so. How many men out there still hold a door for a lady? How many have the M_A_N_N_E_R_S to even say 'Thank You' to someone that did something for you, even simply stepping out of your camera shot?

While it would make sense to blame the amateurs, or even rude, thoughtless 'pros', it's everyone, not just a few. It's all about respecting the other person. As mentioned above, todays' world is all ME, ME, ME....It's all about ME! Remember that when some jerk in front of you when the stoplight turns green is yaking away on their cellphone, or busy texting away. And you? "They" are all concerned about themselves, not the other guy.

For what it's worth, I wrote the above to myself as much as all the readers here. Yeah, there's times I wish I had a .44 magnum on me....like the time 30+ years ago when a large group of all-amateur photographers had dutifully liined up their tripods, clear of each other, a safe distance from a busy railroad track that was going to have a rare steam engine powered train come by. Of course, less than a minute before the train came around the bend, a dozen or more idiots come racing up with their cameras and stood right in front of the 'photo row' that was so clearly established. Then there's the 'chasers' in their cars pacing the steam train along the highway and heaven forbid if someone tries to 'join in' for a moment or two to 'get a shot'. Yeah, common courtesy is gone these days...<sigh>
 
The difference is the professionals are being paid to cover an event. If you block their way and they miss a shot you are hurting their business. When I am on a photo or video shoot at an event I will be a lion and get the shot regardless because it is MY job to get the shot or the interview. If I don't get what I need I get yelled at and it affects my job. If I am at some place for fun and happen to be taking photos I will be respectful of others and make sure I am not in the way.
And I care whether a professional is being paid to cover an event why? If one is being paid by the event organizer to cover the event (i.e. wedding) that's one thing. If they are being paid by someone else to cover the event (i.e. PJ) that's completely different.

I agree with the principle that I will not intentionally get in someone's way. I look around before I move into a spot to make sure I'm not going to interfere with another shooter. I won't shoot from in front of an area set aside for press photographers nor will I violate barricades simply to get a shot. I expect the same in return, whether they are getting paid or not.

I have a real hate-hate relationship with a particular videographer for one of the local TV news crews because he honestly thinks that because he's part of a television news crew it gives him rights over and above others. I don't share his philosophy. I was shooting photos at the Renaissance Festival this past spring and this prick steps directly in front of me, not 2' from the end of my lens and starts filming. I felt absolutely no remorse when I returned the favor and allowed him to film the back of my head despite his profanities.

Fair is fair. You guys need to understand that just because we are amateurs does NOT mean you have the right of way. Unless you are shooting for the event organizers you are just another patron as far as I'm concerned. The fact that you are getting paid to cover the event means nothing whatsoever to me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I'll not get in your way, and I'll look before I position myself, but I expect the same consideration in return. If you plunk yourself down right in front of me and block my shots I can pretty much guarantee that yours aren't going to be very good either.
 
Some understand the point I was trying to get across and some don't, that is fine. I never said pros run the photo world, I never said the pros deserve the right of way. I pointed out that another camera owner walked into a situation knowing full well that I was standing there and chose to ruin a photo opportunity. I was pointing put that this happens all the time, and the message was, when you are out shooting pay attention to other people. If this had of been another person with credentials I would have posted the photo and said that, it just happen to be an amateur this time.

A couple of you had better stay off the gun ranges if you ever take up shooting, there may be someone behind you, already set up.
 
A couple of you had better stay off the gun ranges if you ever take up shooting, there may be someone behind you, already set up.

Just because someone is a professional sniper doesn't mean I can't walk infr..*BANG*.
 
Some understand the point I was trying to get across and some don't, that is fine. I never said pros run the photo world, I never said the pros deserve the right of way. I pointed out that another camera owner walked into a situation knowing full well that I was standing there and chose to ruin a photo opportunity. I was pointing put that this happens all the time, and the message was, when you are out shooting pay attention to other people. If this had of been another person with credentials I would have posted the photo and said that, it just happen to be an amateur this time.

A couple of you had better stay off the gun ranges if you ever take up shooting, there may be someone behind you, already set up.

The problem is you attributed it to a pro/amateur thing, which basically amounts to class warfare... particularly on TPF. Frankly I'm surprised it didn't turn into a riot. I'll tell you that I've outright proposed that any thread with the word "professional" in the title get insta-locked.
 
I'll tell you that I've outright proposed that any thread with the word "professional" in the title get insta-locked.

As an amateur moderator I disagree with this.
 
But in all seriousness, that is not what I am saying. I may be wrong, but I think photography would be the only real career where amateurs actually effect the professionals on a regular basis. The problem being photographers don't have a place of work, in this context, that doesn't include the public and amateurs. Something to be accepted, its not going to change. I find the idea that because a photographer is out in a public place and has to deal with the general public to get paid, doesn't mean they are more important or above anyone else. Just because they are getting paid to do what they are doing. Its an elitist attitude and would also be considered rude. So as I stated before, it goes both ways. The excuse "because its my job" is not an acceptable excuse in my opinion. Overread stated it pretty simply.
That might be valid, IF the guy hadn't hopped the security fence!

If a "security fence" is such that someone can jump over it, then it's not truly a "security fence" at all.

The failing here isn't some fence, or even in some guy's insistence on jumping that fence to get a picture. The failing here is with security. Where were they?

If the guy was able to remain long enough to get a picture, turn and smile, then turn and get another one, then security personnel were too far away. I'm not saying the guy wasn't a dick, but he's not the only problem...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom