Why would you out another photographer?

You mean like saying "STOP POST" here as a way to vent instead of tearing down a thread further?

Ok, I can live with that. :)

This is my STOP POST on the thread mentioned. I've had my say and will be nice and not post there anymore. :)

Hi Jerry:hug::... Haven't seen you in a while... Watcha doin'?

When these threads pop up I often wonder if I'm one of the accused or one of the "good guys". (eek) So, that being said...

It seems like people who hang out here tend to get irked at TPF after a while. This very thread comes up now and again, like a lot of the others. Occasionally it turns into ideas about how to create a newer and better TPF world... most of those ideas seem to kinda fizzle.

When I first came to TPF I knew basically nothing about photography, and I have learned an ASTRONOMICAL amount from many of you since being here... lately I find I don't tend to learn as much, and I think this becomes the rub for folks who have been around longer... they are more the teacher and have less teachers of their own... they become more the object of admiration and have fewer folks to look up to...

(btw, I'm not saying I'm a photo god... :lol:... I think I have a good technical handle, but most of my stuff is soul-less shots of buidings... I look up to a LOT of people on these forums for their artistry and technical mastery)

I wish there were more people with such creativity that would post more, but a lot of them have been chased away (such as Chiller).

For me, I think I only tend to get smarmy when I think someone else is being unfair or unkind to others. To be honest, this is not my duty or place and I feel somewhat guilty for it. I am not the self-appointed police man of TPF... that being said, I do feel a bit defensive about this place and feel the need to protect the community... despite it's various flaws, there is a lot of very positive things going on here and I think that should be valued and protected.

I'm kind of rambling, so I think I'll shut up now.

i personally just tell what i think, if i dislike an image i will say so or i wont comment at all, if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all i suppose,
but if however i did post, i would also post what i feel could improve it

i would only expect the same treatment back, i feel if people dislike my images, it makes me more determied to make it better until they are of peoples expectations

UUilliam I don't htink people here are talking about disliking anothers work in the way you mean - they are more hinting at coments like

"your work sucks give up now"
"your not worth that camera"
"you should get a better camera then try"

etc...

Insulting and unconstructive comments - what you describe is certainly acceptable, voicing your viewpoints and giving what advice you can to make alterations to the image.

"your work sucks give up now"
"your not worth that camera"
"you should get a better camera then try"
:lol:

I don't think I've seen anything quite that bad on here.

I think that would be over the line though. I think some people are a little short or rude sometimes, but I don't see very many personal insults (not saying it doesn't happen).
There's no reason for that.

I think some of it is simply a misunderstanding - so hard to know what people really mean just reading words in a little box.

Some of it is also just the way people are.

We have a lot of people like that at work... It used to be, that everyone would watch out for eachother. Now, there are people that will sit there and watch someone make a mistake, knowing full well that it was going to happen.
Just so they can go tell the boss "Hey, you won't believe what Bob just did".

They think it will get them in good with the boss. What they don't realize is that the boss has no power do do anything (union shop - management has pretty limited authority over the workers...). They think it will make the 'right people' like them more, but really it just makes them an asshole.

Same thing here.

I've met a lot of great people since I've been here. Mostly from the sex in photography thread. I tried 3 photography forums and this one was the winner. It feels like a family to me. I'm a friendly person and everyone seemed to have a connection and no one looked down at another. I haven't seen these fights until something was said. But I do know that people are leaving TPF and have left TPF ...it does make me sad :(. I hope it wasn't for this reason. In life not everyone will like you and not everyone is polite. For those who are rude ... It's a personal problem. Just as long as those who are civil to each other remain the forum will be fine. :er:......I hope.

a major downside to the ease of being "published" on the internet is that modesty and humility go right out the window.
there are a good group of diehards here who i have REALLY learned a lot from.

im sure im guilty of being a poop on here, but i do my best to keep in mind that i am here to learn, and i am certainly no authority on any aspect of photography.

it sucks to see some of the long time members (who are in that group of people i learn from) stop coming to TPF. this sudden influx of cocky wannabes is too bad, as it only takes a few to ruin the community. (not saying ALL the problems come from new members).
ive only been here since may or june of 2008, and i too have seen a decline. :(

let's get TPF back to the friendly teaching community i stumbled on a year ago.:thumbup:

I wonder how much of this is akin to the whole Socrates saying the world is going to hell in a handbasket thing... or to make it a bit more close to our times... "Kids these days!!!"

In other words, the current set of "oldsters" always think that the world is going to a bad place from which there can never be a recovery... and yet, for some reason, the world they refer to survives and flourishes long enough for the NEXT batch of oldsters to think the same thing.

"Teaching?" "Learning?"

Geeze, does anyone think there's a category, a priority, above that?

Certainly TPF management can't see it. These assholes think they have a regular fu*king university here- and apparently many, many, many, of the members here think so, also.

It's not worth typing the words. Most wouldn't understand the concept anyhow--

-

I wonder how much of this is akin to the whole Socrates saying the world is going to hell in a handbasket thing... or to make it a bit more close to our times... "Kids these days!!!"

In other words, the current set of "oldsters" always think that the world is going to a bad place from which there can never be a recovery... and yet, for some reason, the world they refer to survives and flourishes long enough for the NEXT batch of oldsters to think the same thing.

You flatter yourself.

"Teaching?" "Learning?"

Geeze, does anyone think there's a category, a priority, above that?

Certainly TPF management can't see it. These assholes think they have a regular fu*king university here- and apparently many, many, many, of the members here think so, also.

It's not worth typing the words. Most wouldn't understand the concept anyhow--

-

a university? no.
a chance to discuss something we all like? yes.
a chance to walk away with something we didnt know before? sure.
a chance to pass on some knowledge to someone else? *GASP* maybe!

can you dumb down your concept for the TPFU students, so we might understand?

a university? no.
a chance to discuss something we all like? yes.
a chance to walk away with something we didnt know before? sure.
a chance to pass on some knowledge to someone else? *GASP* maybe!

can you dumb down your concept for the TPFU students, so we might understand?

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem.

Good luck with that.

Most reactions

Back