Why would you out another photographer?

No loyalty is the problem.

Not just with TPF - the world in general.

We should be helping each other, but instead everyone wants to keep their secrets to themselves and let everyone else fail.

Most people would rather watch someone else fail than help them.

Personally I feel the maturity level of TPF has been on a steady decline. I have been a member here for years and I refuse to let this place go to the dogs. Shape up or ship out people.

Not a whole lot of Love and Bass at this moment in time.

I hope this isn't taken as rude or snide, but my first thought on reading this from you, Craig, was something about a pot and a kettle.

We should be helping each other, but instead everyone wants to keep their secrets to themselves and let everyone else fail.

Sad, but true.

Looks like assumptions. Those are fun. Here's a few to consider;

Why assume the world is withholding knowlege from you?

Why assume the world owes you loyalty?

Why assume you're better than making an effort and doing some actual studying?

Why assume the world has the time to help someone that has made the above assumptions?

[edit]
Why assume the world gives a crap if you fail or succeed?
[/edit]

Sounds like blame the oldtimers for not feeling sorry for you.

-

Nah, times have changed... neighbors that have lived next to each other for years don't even know each others first names. Used to be neighbors helped neighbors, now everyone keeps to themselves.

I wonder how much of this is akin to the whole Socrates saying the world is going to hell in a handbasket thing... or to make it a bit more close to our times... "Kids these days!!!"

In other words, the current set of "oldsters" always think that the world is going to a bad place from which there can never be a recovery... and yet, for some reason, the world they refer to survives and flourishes long enough for the NEXT batch of oldsters to think the same thing.

You flatter yourself.

That was an excellent example of the kind of thing I think you are generally railing against.

Did I say I was the oldster decrying youth? No.
Did I say I was the youth saying the oldsters were being foolish? No.

I know you're frustrated and irritated, but your approach seems to only be making things worse.

I know you're frustrated and irritated, but your approach seems to only be making things worse.

Interesting. How do you "know" this?

Again, you flatter yourself.

-

a university? no.
a chance to discuss something we all like? yes.
a chance to walk away with something we didnt know before? sure.
a chance to pass on some knowledge to someone else? *GASP* maybe!

can you dumb down your concept for the TPFU students, so we might understand?

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem.

Good luck with that.

awesome! :hug::

i dont get the problem. (obvious to you, i know)

you, sir, are one of the old schoolers on here i was referring to as someone whose images i like to look at and, dare i say, even walked away interested in your compositions and why you shot what you shot the way you shot it. now, i know you don't give a **** what anybody takes away from your images, but im glad you're on this site.

is it BAD to learn or teach something? i don't know man...i dont think learning or teaching can ever be bad.

im disappointed that you wont expand on why you seem to think it's bad. is it an attempt to feign a higher level of understanding what this community is "supposed" to be?

i guess to you i'm just another moron trying to soak up others' knowledge, but im just here because i like photography. if i get something or give something along the way, so be it. my bad.

Sounds like blame the oldtimers for not feeling sorry for you.

Well, I can't speak for everyone... But I don't really care what other people think.

I only come here to occupy my time while I'm not doing something else.
(Well, that's not the only reason... But-)

When I said that there is no loyalty anymore maybe I used the wrong word (but I think it was close enough that you know what I meant).
Yes, I think that loyalty has to be earned - Like respect, it is something that develops over time.

I think more than assumptions, they are observations. It IS happening, and denying it will not make it go away.

Why assume you're better than making an effort and doing some actual studying?
I don't know where that came from...

I don't know if it was directed towards me, or just a general comment - but I don't feel that it applies to me.

Interesting. How do you "know" this?

Again, you flatter yourself.

EDIT: I just can't in earnest respond to this in a way that it needs in a thread about why people should not call each other out and be viscious to each other and stuff.

I'll just say I don't think this was very neighborly and be done.

Moving on.

I was not going to reply to this thread , but checked in while answering a PM> :lol: These threads constantly spin crazily out of control. Back in the day, when TPF was a small community, it was like a small town, a few leaders, and people became friends, shared their visions, and laughed at our mistakes, but now, it has become the big metropolis with big metropolis ideas, and leaders,$$$,attitude, and crap. The owners dont care, cause, if one person leaves, 15 join(not accurate numbers, but you get the point, I hope) They are making their money, like a bad sports team. People still come out and pay $$ to subscribe to this BS, and to the ones that leave....who cares. They are still making their little piece of $$ with this cheesy advertising, and I can bet that they have no idea that threads like this exist, cause they are counting their money. It is not about photography here anymore. This is nothing more then a social site for people to play Ego on.
I have seen some awesome photographers leave, and to be honest, yet to see people come on board and match their quality of photography.
My decision to cut my posts back to nil, was because of this new attitude that many of the newer members have brought to TPF.(and a few other personal reasons) The new owners dont care, modship is non existant(if it is because of the lack of mods...bloody hell get more then)

Yes I have the balls to handle critique, and I need a lot of things stroked, but my ego is not one of them. Im willing to help anyone, and will share any ideas, as that is part of learning.

And as for this old vs young.....who cares. Just freekin get along, and check your attitude and baggage at the door. If everyone was that good, they wouldnt be here in the first place.

Gotta run....the maid is at my crypt door. :mrgreen:

That is not outing a photographer, that is just keeping secrets. Though that train of thought would make for a very boring forum... lol

I found a lot of people in real life that are very open and helpful, especially when you can talk face to face. I also do the same, when I can.

pssst guys I think we are all going in circles a bit here - and yes I will say that since I see pretty much the same people appearing now as in the previous threads ;)

come on now lets try to talk about how to CHANGE things for the BETTER rather than constantly go over and over the bad side of things. All it does is reinforce the bad feelings and vibs and also makes things feel far worse than they actually are!

anyone up for the new social groups running? There is still space in group 4 and many more space for more groups! (an not one of you is in one either!)
The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - CandC Practice: Group 4

^^^ I have a ton of respect for Overread constantly being at the forefront of positive thoughts in this and other areas. Kudos to you, man. Wish I had your perspective... particularly now where I'm sitting here wondering why I even log in here anymore. :lol:

Most reactions

Back