What's new

Why you should spend money on a better lens, not a better body...

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
2,471
Reaction score
30
Location
West Palm Beach, Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Rebel XTi + 70-200 f/2.8 =






When you put the camera on this lens, it still feels like you're just carrying around the lens without the camera. It's weird!
 
If you're disatisfied with your current body, get a new one. But, remember your lens will be you on this body, and the next body, and the next body. I'm using some very old lenses but my DSLR bodies are, obviously, not very old.
 
I read that three times, and I still don't know what you're trying to say:(
 
I think he's saying you have a real keeper lens that will be passed down for generations of camera bodies. In 10 years, that'll still be one of the best 70-200mm lenses ever made, the XTi will be ancient history though..

Congrats on that lens, gives me terrible gear envy..
I see you've also got the (Tamron?) 17-50 f/2.8 - that's another amazing piece of glass if I can say so myself..
 
Yeah, I like the Tamron too. I am a pretty happy puppy right now!
 
Good for you..

the 70-200 L is probably the most popular, useful, and desired Pro lens in the industry...........:thumbup:
 
pfft the rebel just need a battery grip to balance things out :)
Seriously even if you don't have big hands (I certainly don't) a battery grip on a rebel really makes such a difference!

Good shooting Rob and looks like you'll be getting a lot of good use out of that 70-200mm!
 
I prefer my 50d ;)

once convince my wife that I absolutely need a 2x teleconverter, I'll be getting even more use out of the 70-200!
 
Is yours the M2 or the original 70-200mm ?
 
original. That's why I got such a good deal on it. I was going to get the f/4, but my 50d won't focus that lens with a 2x teleconverter on it. I can shoot at 400mm and f/8... that doesn't bother me, especially for less than half the price of the mkII.
 
I've never been wowed by the performance of the 70=200mm + 2*TC at 400mm:
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
(imperfect tests I know!)

But still servicable images and better than not having 400mm. However the M2 - from what I've seen - is just about on par with the 100-400mm when stopped down a little. However I suspect you'll be adding something like a 400mm f5.6 or similar (or even going for the super expensive glass) at some point and then a 70-200mm is still a very good support lens - heck I hardly know a photographer who doesn't own a 70-200mm in some form (unless they just use primes)
 
Nah, I'll be happy with the 2x I think... I don't shoot super long focal lengths that often, so it's not a huge concern for me. Plus anything is better than the 55-250 I had before.
 
wow, I am actually surprised at how much better those are than I thought they would be at f/5.6!
 
Funny...just today this column was published,and it's got sort of the opposite point of view, along with financial numbers and lens choices that are the opposite.

The Online Photographer: Letter to George
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom