Wide Angle or Fisheye?

William

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if I should get a Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye or a 12-24mm. I already have a 18-70mm. 18mm might be low enough before I would need a fisheye, but what do you think?

They are both nice lenses but they are very different. The fisheye is cool but can grow old if you use it too much. What do you need the lens for? That might point you one way or the other.

I would prefer the non-fisheye. I think fisheyes have their place, but it's not in general photography. I think a fisheye lens would be something I'd consider adding AFTER I had a good wide-angle (which will be this summer for me).

I was wondering if I should get a Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye or a 12-24mm. I already have a 18-70mm. 18mm might be low enough before I would need a fisheye, but what do you think?

I think exactly the opposite of the way you think. I hope you aren't comparing the difference between 12 and 18 as a small difference. Since the angle of view and focal length of a lens vary in a geometric progression, the angle of view makes signifcant changes at the low end of the scale. Yes, a 500 and 600mm are fairly close in terms of angle of view, but the difference between a 12 and 18 is downright huge by comparison.

I love fisheye images, and for awhile considered buying one. In the end, I decided on the wide angle zoom, because it is more flexible. You can change the angle of view and alter the look of the image, whereas with a fisheye, every image is going to have the "fisheye look." I'd still like a fisheye one day, but it will be after purchasing a wide angle zoom.

Please let us know if you have any sharpness problems with your new Nikkor 12-24mm. One reviewer stated that nothing over 30 feet away was in focus. Do any of you use a similar Sigma, Tamron or Torkina lens, and has anyone made comparisons with the Nikkor? I've been searching for a site that has a direct comparison of the four lenses, but haven't found one. I'm planning on a wide angle zoom, but $900 is hard to let go of!

one happy medium could be a rectiliniar lens so you get really wide views but you dont get the fishy distortion that sometimes grows old...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back