Wildlife & Nature FAQ

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by lostprophet, May 21, 2008.

1. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the chances of a Pro wildlife photographer being on this forum is pretty low, chances are they are sat in a hide as I type, or they are writing reviews for whorehouse express ;-) oh and yes Andy Rouse does take photos at wildlife centre and sells them.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm uplander just mentioned tail cameras and as its liked to wildlife I thought it better to ask in here rather than spark off a new thread - so what are peoples experiences with them, what are good models and all that other stuff...

3. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Trail cameras are self contained camera/ flash / motion detector units which were designed for hunters to scout for trophy game or establish patterns and times game moved in a specific area. I find them useful to watch a suspected den or burrough and let me know usful info before I take the time to set up and wait.

Most units attach to a tree or can be easily mounted various ways. Some are quite simple and others are more sophisticated. The basic unit is a camera with a motion dtection swith to trigger the shutter. Some have flash units and others have infared illuminators and infared sensors for capture. Some have it all. Most have clocks and timers and programmable logic to set when you want the camera active and for what modes.

For quick look at what is available go to www.cabelas.com and search trail cameras.

They aren't meant to produce high quality photos but are more for survailence and to give you a record of what and when something is passing through.

I hope that helps.

4. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm hoping someone can help with this question I have - Its horrible and overcast at pres - I was attempting to get a GOOD pic of a rosella (bird) that was out in a tree - At 300mm (handheld) it still wasnt overly close but I found that all I was getting was a dark shape rather than the colours (bright red) that was at ISO 400 - anyway I bumped up the EV which mainly succeeded in blowing out the sky/branches but still the dark shape of the bird.
    So I upped the ISO to 1600 and still it was too dark? I then bumped up the EV to 2 which helped actually bring out a bit more of the colour but overall the birdwas still too dark and had blown out sky again
    Apart from using a tripod (moving subject as it was eating so couldnt i think really use too long an exposure) are there any ways to get a nicely exposed pic of a bird up in a tree on an overcast day.

5. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    sounds like the light is behind the subject and facing you - so you need to really open up the apature and boost the ISO to get the details on the dark bird - and then as you found out the sky ends up way to bright.
    You could try using your flash to fill in the light - flash can travel a good distance though at a risk of spooking the subject you have to get it right first time

6. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    decided that a link to this site is worth adding to the thread:

Wildwood Survival - Wilderness Survival

contains wilderness surival skills, but also sections on wild animal tracking. Defintly the other side of the skill set that a good wildlife photographer needs to have in order to capture images.

7. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Buddy...long time ;)

I haven't done in any macro work in quite a while. But...all of my macro work is hand held. I use a Manfrotto flash bracket manfrotto macro | B&H Photo Video and Lumiquest Softbox LumiQuest | Mini SoftBox - for Shoe-Mount Flashes | LQ-108 | B&H.

Just takes a lot of patience. Also, I always try to get low or support my hands/arms. I rest my elbows and forearms on my knee a lot.

Sometimes I shoot wide open for the effect. And of course, it adds a little speed. Not the sharpest, but a cool little critter :)

[​IMG]

8. Tsanand

Tsanand TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wildlife especially in the wild mostly give you very short time to get your act together and you have to get it right the first time around else the opportunity's gone. Take this Tiger for instance, it gave me just 9 seconds.

Thomas
    http://walkthewilderness.net
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slo_Mo_Dove

Slo_Mo_Dove TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it just my camera, or is there a setting I'm forgetting that will help me take clearer animal photos at a (short) distance? I can get quite close to say, a squirrel, and the photo's still not very sharp at full size. It's in focus, just ... smudgy. Very close shots, like insects and flowers, turn out fine.
    It's a fairly cheap little digital camera, but there must be *something* I can do.

10. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe use a faster shutter speed? That's usually my first go at someone's complaint about blurry photos.

I have a question... What or who determines who a "pro" is as far as wild life photography? Is it a matter of doing it for a living and selling photos? Why can't a "pro" be a pro at wild life photography without doing it for a living? I'm not calling myself a pro but I was just wondering.

11. Slo_Mo_Dove

Slo_Mo_Dove TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It doesn't seem like motion blur - but I'll experiment and see if the Auto option is just doing a bad job with the settings. It may have been focusing a bit too close.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  12. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Geeeeeezzz!!!! careful saying that word around here!