Window shopping

I'd love to know too! Unfortunately, it was in Slovenian so even though I could hear them, I couldn't understand a word! :confused-55:

Probably something like "I can't believe they've only just imported ladyshave. But won't they get cold?"

Nice Leonore. Did you look at it in b&w?

I hadn't considered B&W, no. I'll try it, but the thing I like about it is that the colors in the suit draw the attention to the mannequins and I wonder if they will get lost in monochrome, as will the difference in hair color. But I might be wrong - won't know unless I try it! :) Won't be home until tonight, though.

I'd love to know too! Unfortunately, it was in Slovenian so even though I could hear them, I couldn't understand a word! :confused-55:

I'm guessing the word they used was kurba. Lol

Did you just look that up, or is there some secret life you're not telling us about - one in which you speak Somalian AND Slovenian?

I'm guessing the word they used was kurba. Lol

Did you just look that up, or is there some secret life you're not telling us about - one in which you speak Somalian AND Slovenian?

Not sure if you could lookup kurba - it's more of a slang expression as I recall. First words you really learn to use in any language, the bad ones.. lol.

I don't really "speak" either language, but I picked up a few things here and there, I bounced around quite a bit in my youth. I can still get my face slapped in about a dozen languages, but not much more than that.. lol

I don't really "speak" either language, but I picked up a few things here and there, I bounced around quite a bit in my youth. I can still get my face slapped in about a dozen languages, but not much more than that.. lol

That's a really useful skill ;)

That's a really useful skill ;)

Eh, not so much really. A couple of things that have proven useful:

When in Turkey don't make the OK sign with your hand. It might end up in a knife fight, and that's only If your lucky.

If your in Argentina and you want to smoke make sure you have enough for everybody. They get real funny about that. Also never show up for a party on time. Always be late. My ex wife would have loved it there. Lol

Never make the "rock on" hand gesture in Serbia. You can forget about the knife fight, you will end up in an unmarked grave somewhere.

When in Turkey don't make the OK sign with your hand. It might end up in a knife fight, and that's only If your lucky.

Also don't try the "got your nose" trick, or slapping your open palm of one hand onto the top of your other hand in a clenched fist. And don't use the letter "t" in American Sign Language (unless you're teaching a mini-lesson on ASL to your Turkish students, and then you realize by their faces that letter "t" sign is offensive and you keep repeating it, claiming ignorance, because the truth is that your class pisses you off on a regular basis and you'd like nothing better than to flip them all off...not that I have had any experience with this...).

Also don't try the "got your nose" trick, or slapping your open palm of one hand onto the top of your other hand in a clenched fist. And don't use the letter "t" in American Sign Language (unless you're teaching a mini-lesson on ASL to your Turkish students, and then you realize by their faces that letter "t" sign is offensive and you keep repeating it, claiming ignorance, because the truth is that your class pisses you off on a regular basis and you'd like nothing better than to flip them all off...not that I have had any experience with this...).

Lol.. wasn't aware of those but I'll make note of them. As for the A-OK sign, I made that mistake myself. I was just trying to tell the guy, "hey, I agree with you". Apparently he took it to mean, "hey, I think your a homosexual".

So I learned that in Turkey that isn't a hand gesture you should use, and then we followed it by another brief cultural exchange in which the gentleman in question discovered that age old American custom, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Fortunately we managed to avoid anything truly unpleasant and I apologized with a couple of rounds of drinks.

The Argentina thing, well I showed up at a party at 7 pm that was scheduled for 7 pm.. and got chewed out by the hostess who wasn't expecting anyone till 8. She got even more upset when I couldn't seem to fathom why in the world they would invite everyone and tell them the party was at 7 if they didn't want anyone there till 8. I also found out that you never want to be the first one to pull out a cigarette - of course that was 3 packs later.

Yes, making friends and influencing people.. lol

In grad school, my roommates and I would throw parties on occasion. We were all in the Linguistics department doing our TAships in the English Language Institute, and we were encouraged to socialize with students. So they were always invited to our parties and really, they usually outnumbered us Americans. The parties always developed in waves. The Japanese students were always half an hour early. The other Americans and the Koreans would arrive maybe 15-12 minutes after the assigned starting time, followed by Northern Europeans. The Southern Europeans came next, about an hour 'late'. The South Americans usually arrived 2-3 hours late (of many nationalities in South America, the Argentinians were relatively 'on time'!). They were kind of the second wave - they'd arrive just as the Japanese students were starting to get tired and leaving. And the Spanish were usually even later than the South Americans. The wee hours of the party usually involved just us hosts, a couple of Brazilians and Mexicans, and a few of the Korean men who were nearly passed out on the couch. They could drink like no one else I've ever seen!

Back to the photo...

This is for Ron. Whaddya think?
Shopping for a suit b&w.jpg

Most reactions

Back