What's new

Winter Day, Dusk, Night

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is something I've been trying to do for a while now, to shoot various times of day in a single day. I usually end up with one or two good shots but this is the first time I've been happy enough with three to call it a set :) Usually it is the nighttime one that hangs me up but this time I played around with maxing my ISO out @ 12800, I'm TOTALLY going to play around with that more! I wish I had gotten a more impressionistic version of dusk but I'm pretty happy with how this one transitions from day to night.

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks for taking a look :)


Day







Dusk









Night

 
For whatever reason, these don't work for me.
 
Fair enough ;) Thanks for taking a look :)
 
#1, I love the feeling - but the whites may be a little too bright. #2 yep, I get that light and the feeling. Would have been nice to get a "bit" of detail in the mid-picture woods, but you'd need to do some HDR and layering to make that work. I do love the blue on the snow. #3. Doesn't work for me either. It's mostly the indistinctness of it. The high-ISO grain could be very interesting, but this specific image just has a muddy look to it for me. Maybe I need to look at it again later.
 
Thanks for your thoughts Paul, I'm on the iPod so going to get back to ya in the morning :)
 
I like the second one a lot, and I see where you are going with the first and third one, very creative and interesting. Almost like a photo into a painting. NEAT :)
 
#1, I love the feeling - but the whites may be a little too bright. #2 yep, I get that light and the feeling. Would have been nice to get a "bit" of detail in the mid-picture woods, but you'd need to do some HDR and layering to make that work. I do love the blue on the snow. #3. Doesn't work for me either. It's mostly the indistinctness of it. The high-ISO grain could be very interesting, but this specific image just has a muddy look to it for me. Maybe I need to look at it again later.

Thanks Paul, in #1 I was trying to get the "blinding snow" feeling into it but perhaps it is unsuccessful, I like it for the most part but perhaps I will go back and play a bit and see if I can tone that down.
Good point on 2, I was concerned about that area being too blocky, it is the only exposure so I may try a little finessing that area and see if I can pull enough detail out.
Ah #3, there is something there that I like but I feared it wasn't going to go over well ;)
I like the second one a lot, and I see where you are going with the first and third one, very creative and interesting. Almost like a photo into a painting. NEAT :)

Thanks for your thoughts ATVrider!
 
Judi, looking at #3 again, I think it is the whitish streak down the middle that throws me off. As I said earlier, I do like the noise/background texture that you've got there, and the ghostly trees and background work for me. I'm thinking that if you had a somewhat more prominent/obvious tree in the mid-ground, it may make the image stronger. In any case, it is a worth-while experiment that may lead to more interesting images. You've got me thinking about this.
 
Judi, looking at #3 again, I think it is the whitish streak down the middle that throws me off. As I said earlier, I do like the noise/background texture that you've got there, and the ghostly trees and background work for me. I'm thinking that if you had a somewhat more prominent/obvious tree in the mid-ground, it may make the image stronger. In any case, it is a worth-while experiment that may lead to more interesting images. You've got me thinking about this.

Bolded part tells me exactly where this is falling short, I will revisit with that in mind. I did get another one with this method that I really like. I'll likely post it after I'm done tinkering with it. You must try it out, there are sooo many possibilities!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom