wireless triggers???

Corvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i have a canon rebel eos and i just ordered some cactus vr2 wireless triggers. they have 4 channel possibilities, 0-0 and 1-2 if im correct. my question is does my camera or flash need to be on something certain for the flash to trigger? i have a canon 430 ex II external flash. i need help! lol

Nope, just the transmitter and receiver need to be on the same channel. Your flash needs to be set to manual as it will no longer be able to do TTL with the wireless triggers you bought.

ok cool. set it to manual and they should flash? does it matter what settings my camera are on?(i usually have it on manual) does the f-stop, or exposure matter on my camera and/or flash?

Yes watch your sync speed keep it under 1/200th of a second or you will get the shutter dragging across the frame. Remember aperture controls exposure with flash, not shutter speed. But I bet you knew that having already had the flash.

ok so if im shooting on 100iso, 1/125 on a f8 what should my flash be? or does it matter?

It all depends on ambient light and how much fill you want. Basically it will be trial and error, you will learn as you go!

It all depends on ambient light and how much fill you want. Basically it will be trial and error, you will learn as you go!
Yes, there is a trial and error approach you can take. There is also a way of gaining that experience in a more concise manner. Getting as much intimate knowledge as you can of how the flash works with your camera. How does the metering system work with your camera in each mode? Getting familiar with your flashes GNs. Being spoonfed some settings for a particular scence that we can't see is not doing you any favors. You'll have to hunker down do research, read, read, read, ask intelligent questions. One tool that can make life easier is a hand held light meter.

That's some of the technical stuff you're gonna have to know, but then there is the harder areas to work on. Seeing the light. Sculpting the light. That's a longer row to hoe. I've been at it for a few years and I still consider myself an idiot with lighting.

^
Good advice, do some research on off camera flash and light modifiers (i.e. Umbrellas, softboxes, beauty dishes...) I learned so much from reading and to be honest trial and error. After all my in field experience, setting up lights and picking which modifier to use just comes naturally. I can see the picture coming together as I shoot, and sculpting light is such a great skill to know well!

oooofff... Kundalini, if you consider yourself an idiot with lighting, I think I would need a new word invented to describe my knowledge or lack of. How about we compromise and say you're pretty good at it, but can get better. Then I can take the idiot label away from you.

To the OP: set your flash on manual, decide which f/stop you want, divide the f/stop into the guide number, and that's the distance your flash should be at if it is directly pointed at the subject.

Most reactions

Back