Woman stabbed to death after photographing panhandlers

holding a sign with obsenities i would say he's either A trying to piss people off. or B. a bit off his rocker. That to me isn't a meteor. that to me is a sign (no pun intended) to keep walking.

The local news showed several people paying the guys with the obscene signs. They get attention and they make money.

Even mentally stable people some dont like there pictures taken at all. Street photography can be dangerous and a side of caution should always be used.Safer to shoot from a distance with zooms not cells.

When I lived in Detroit, the locals told me not to leave anything in my car. Even a penny is a penny, and they don't care about the $500 to replace your broken window. That's right, they have nothing to lose, and that alone makes them potentially dangerous.

Hopefully all the people involved were rounded up and held accountable for their actions to the fullest extent of the law.

All on the tax payers but at least it's one less nut job off the streets.

Take a snap of some people asking for attention by holding up inflamatory signs in a tourist area? Yeah she did nothing wrong. They were in public, they were only mad they didnt get paid.

Just terrible and no excuse whatsoever for them stabbing her.

Sad story.

However, the guy who stabbed this girl was going to do it someone eventually, it wasn't be she took his photo, it because he saw an opportunity to do what he really wanted to do, stab someone.

If it wasn't her, it would have been someone else.

It is a sad story ... I think any street photographer needs more than just a photography education.

I've worked in law enforcement for the last ten years and I've handled situations dealing with people getting angry or violent over street photography.. it happens.

I think photographers need to understand that.. a) Due to the nature of street photography you can never predict what a reaction is going to be like.. b) The danger doesn't just lay in people you're photographing, because you ARE carrying some potentially expensive equipment and c) Know what to "see"

When a photographer thinks of "seeing" it's relative to the shot... but you need to see other things too if you're going to work on the street.

What area are you in? Be mindful that criminals seek out easy targets.. they want people who aren't aware of the danger they're in.

Somewhat off topic from the story, but I think as mentioned, it's a cautionary tale. Seeing the shot is great... but don't get so wrapped up in photography that you're not seeing other important things as well.

No photo is worth your life.

It's a sad story for sure and one that could have been avoided. This was a case of a homeless person and a tourist with a cell phone, not a photographer. Would a professional photographer handled the case the same way, would a photographer been smarter and used a longer lens, shot from across the street, used some cover to shoot the picture. Honestly, it is how I would have treated the situation. Pulling out a cell phone and sticking it in the face of most people will get you one of two reactions, this one was fatal.

This might be an extreme case of what is referred to as "aggressive panhandling", in which the beggars try and goad/guilt/humiliate passers-by into giving their worthless a&&es a buck or two. Of course, many young people today seem to have little situational awareness when on the street, and little concept of urban violence, mental illness, drug-induced instability, or group dynamics. The fact that there were THREE panhandlers in a group is a real, significant danger sign. My interactions with bums and homeless/panhandlers has been that one,alone, is one thing; two, another; and three or more--a real,genuine, significantly dangerous dynamic. I've been accosted twice by homeless people, and both times had to threaten them with being brain-bashed with the camera I had.

Most reactions

Back