Women shooting alone in remote locations or at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning about self-defense is a very good idea but it can give you a false sense of security. Also, one comment earlier talked about pepper spray and you need to be careful in that it's not legal to carry on your person everywhere. If you are going to carry it, get Bear Spray and understand if you use it you will get a taste or even a face full. That's just what happens most of the time.
Another good thing is to keep your car keys in your hand and push the Panic button if you get in a problem.

I advise getting training with a handgun, getting a CCW permit so that you can legally carry it, and never leave home without it.

It may sound like overkill (pun intended), but seriously, after a short period of getting used to carrying, you will find it quite reassuring and empowering.

You can save the get a gun suggestions - never gonna happen.

I agree. If ever I had to resort to that, then I would simply give up photography. Can only imagine how tough it would be to use one while composing a landscape shot.

Can I just say how infuriating it is that we still even need to have this conversation? How absolutely jammed up it all is?

But I have no energy to rage about that at the moment, so instead, here are a few tips I can add to those already given:

1) Put your hand in a fist around your keys and let the keys stick out between the fingers, pointy side out.
2) Make eye contact and, as mentioned already, walk with absolute confidence and badassery.
3) If you have to defend yourself physically, go straight for the balls, the throat, and the knees. Be kind of spazzy and unpredictable. If you yell, try a really deep-pitched roar instead of a high-pitched typical-Hollywood scream. Guttural sounds like that are unexpected coming from women so it'll throw him a bit off guard - perhaps enough for you to get away and run like hell.

And yes, it was a while ago, but I did take some martial arts training. It didn't give me a false sense of security like someone mentioned, but it did help me feel more prepared to defend myself. Any little bit of preparation or skill helps make it a little less exhausting to have your guard up all the time.

I don't really have anyadvice since everything seems to be covered so far. I just want to say that, as a 130lbs laughably unintimidating male I would probably never go to a remote urban location alone at night.

I do carry a box cutter in my pocket pretty much at all times when out, though.

Wasn't really sure what forum to put this in...

This is mostly directed to the female photographers of TPF who take outdoor pics. How do you handle personal safety when you're out shooting in remote areas or at night/early morning? Do you have a buddy you go with or do you feel comfortable going out alone? Do you tell someone where/when you are going and check in afterwards? I had a kind of creepy experience this weekend while out shooting alone and it's really giving me second thoughts on venturing out on my own so often.

I stopped at a local lake yesterday afternoon to take a walk with my camera. It's a pretty popular spot for dog walkers and exercisers but it was cold out and there were only a few other cars in the parking lot when I got there. One car had a guy sitting in it alone. I didn't think much of it and headed to the trail that goes mostly along the lake but some of it is through the woods. I was walking back toward the parking lot about an hour later through one of the wooded sections when I caught a quick glimpse of a man about 20 yards up ahead of me peeking out from behind a tree. At first I thought maybe I'd interrupted him peeing and he was just ducking out of the way to zip up but he stayed behind the tree. There was no one else around. When I was about 20 feet away he was still standing (hiding?) behind the tree so I stopped walking trying to decide what to do. I had to pass him to get back to my car and the path's only about 3 or 4 feet wide. I was mentally kicking myself for going on the trail alone (I didn't even have my little dog with me) and for not telling anyone where I was going (it was a last minute decision to stop there on my way home from visiting a friend).

As I stood there hesitating, I heard voices and then a young couple came from the direction of the parking lot walking their dogs. Tree guy stepped out into the path and casually walked past them heading toward the trail exit. When the couple reached me I told them I was pretty sure that he had been hiding along the trail and I asked them to please walk back to my car with me in case he was still in the parking lot. He was gone when we got there. I feel very lucky that they came along when they did. I suppose that it's possible that I was just being paranoid but I don't think so. My spidey senses were going off, there was definitely something weird about the whole thing.

So, now I'm feeling totally creeped out about going out on my own with my camera when there won't be lots of people around. I had plans later this week to get out early to take some sunrise pics on the "beach" side of the lake but now I'm second guessing that plan as well.

Just looking for some input/advice/suggestions re women shooting alone.
Carry some pepper spray at a minimum and do not trust anybody. I know it sounds harsh, but that is the world we live in now. I would rather come off as rude than become a victim any day.

You can save the get a gun suggestions - never gonna happen.
In that case, buying a big mean dog, pepper spray, collapsible baton, and do not forget a knife, are also going to help you ward off an attack if you are unfortunate enough to become a target of a psycho rapist/murderer.

Don't be afraid to yell out "hey, what are you doing behind that tree"
if someone is there to surprise someone else, they don't like be called out.
Mace helps a lot too ... just spray at the tree sides

My wife caries a Glock 26, and has a LOT of training on how to use it. I know some people freak out about the whole "gun" thing, but there it is.

I have worked for the last fifteen years as a professional pet sitter which means I am heading out in all directions at weird times of day and night. The person I live with knows my schedule and my intended destinations no matter where I go or at what time.

In some instances, I am driving through and heading into areas where there are few people and even less security in the surroundings. Asking people to leave on porch lights and to have some lights, at least, on timers so I'm not walking up to and into a house that is clearly not occupied seems to not sink in with several clients. Several years ago I had a client in the "bad part" of town and I was driving past one house that was being remodeled (that would serve as a nice place for a druggie or three to spend the night), a house with bars on the windows, then a house with boards on the windows and several houses where those old time residents were clearly trying to maintain a neighborhood.

Even sitting at a stop light, I am aware of who and what is around me. Vigilance doesn't mean looking for trouble but simply being aware of what is happening at the moment. Don't live in fear. It makes you an easy target.

There have been a few times even the walk from the car to the house has been less comfortable than I prefer, particularly when there are large shrubs around the door I use to enter. Once I enter the house there's still every door left closed and rooms without lights that pose a "could happen now" feeling.

More than anything, I try to stay aware of my surroundings and situations.

If something doesn't look right, I don't hesitate to call the police. I walked up to one house on a rather busy street one night and the front door was cracked open. I called the police. No sign of forced entry and nothing askew in the house but better safe than sorry.

IMO the "I went down doing something I love" approach is not justification for "I got captured and now I've been chained to someone's basement post for the last ten years". So, more than anything else, stay very, very aware of what's around you and what you may be walking into. I always go to the location in the daylight before I head out at night and I make myself aware of what's around, how to see the danger zones and the safe zones and how to possibly extricate myself from a bad situation.

Never hesitate to call the police. They would rather find you safe and alive than any other possible condition. I've never had an officer tell me they were being bothered even if the call was just making them aware of someone in a car that maybe shouldn't be sitting in that location.

No photo IMO is worth anything more than the hassle of setting up. Alone time with a camera is all too often time when you are concentrating on your shot and someone can walk up next to you and you wouldn't even know at first.

When you can't fully trust your spidey sense, it would be wise to carry along your batpack utility belt. I prefer non-lethal carry alongs since I figure, should I be overtaken, anything I have with me which could render an attacker immobile could also be used on me.

Go to your local police sub-station and discuss this with them.
Explain the situation and get their advice - which, of course, would always be to not do what you're doing - for what you can legally carry with you.

One item I've considered but have never purchased is a 130dB noise maker. Producing an ear piercing frequency at a distance, it will give most people a moment of pause - in pain - while I can reconsider my options. Don't be afraid to warn someone approaching you of your intentions if they reach an uncomfortably close distance. Maybe they're innocent of any bad intentions, maybe they're not.

Mace and pepper spray, tasers and such have the disadvantage of proximity to the other person and having then turned on you to disable you. But follow what the police suggest, they've seen the results of what happens when you don't.

Most of all, don't look like a victim. I'm another six footer and a friend who works at a crisis intervention center once made the comment that I do not carry myself as if I were an easy victim. No one can add an extra six or seven inches to their height but you can learn to not look like you can be easily taken down.

Having any dog with you, even a little one, is always an advantage. There have been several nights when my dog has warned me of other dogs - just as dangerous as people sometimes - and is always on the look out for anyone in our vicinity. The extra few seconds of awareness can be the difference in your safety.

If you've had self defense training, take a refresher course. Not allowing yourself to be the victim, even for a few seconds, can make the difference.

There's so many things that can make a difference that you need to have a mental arsenal with you at all times when you head out on your own.

If you notice someone acting suspicious, get out your cell phone and start calling home or the police. That alone can give some would be attackers enough pause to keep you safe. If someone comes at you, maybe you can manage to take their photo with your cell phone and then toss it into the bushes. You can try to reason with them that you've just provided evidence the police are sure to find.and that they don't have time to locate. If nothing happens, you can retrieve the phone later.

The answer to your question is, there isn't enough advice to give because every situation is different. You need to be aware of the moment and act accordingly. To do that effectively, you can't be lost in the shot. No photo is worth that much if no one ever gets to see it.

Wasn't really sure what forum to put this in...

This is mostly directed to the female photographers of TPF who take outdoor pics. How do you handle personal safety when you're out shooting in remote areas or at night/early morning? Do you have a buddy you go with or do you feel comfortable going out alone? Do you tell someone where/when you are going and check in afterwards? I had a kind of creepy experience this weekend while out shooting alone and it's really giving me second thoughts on venturing out on my own so often.

I stopped at a local lake yesterday afternoon to take a walk with my camera. It's a pretty popular spot for dog walkers and exercisers but it was cold out and there were only a few other cars in the parking lot when I got there. One car had a guy sitting in it alone. I didn't think much of it and headed to the trail that goes mostly along the lake but some of it is through the woods. I was walking back toward the parking lot about an hour later through one of the wooded sections when I caught a quick glimpse of a man about 20 yards up ahead of me peeking out from behind a tree. At first I thought maybe I'd interrupted him peeing and he was just ducking out of the way to zip up but he stayed behind the tree. There was no one else around. When I was about 20 feet away he was still standing (hiding?) behind the tree so I stopped walking trying to decide what to do. I had to pass him to get back to my car and the path's only about 3 or 4 feet wide. I was mentally kicking myself for going on the trail alone (I didn't even have my little dog with me) and for not telling anyone where I was going (it was a last minute decision to stop there on my way home from visiting a friend).

As I stood there hesitating, I heard voices and then a young couple came from the direction of the parking lot walking their dogs. Tree guy stepped out into the path and casually walked past them heading toward the trail exit. When the couple reached me I told them I was pretty sure that he had been hiding along the trail and I asked them to please walk back to my car with me in case he was still in the parking lot. He was gone when we got there. I feel very lucky that they came along when they did. I suppose that it's possible that I was just being paranoid but I don't think so. My spidey senses were going off, there was definitely something weird about the whole thing.

So, now I'm feeling totally creeped out about going out on my own with my camera when there won't be lots of people around. I had plans later this week to get out early to take some sunrise pics on the "beach" side of the lake but now I'm second guessing that plan as well.

Just looking for some input/advice/suggestions re women shooting alone.
I'm male and I would have felt as fearful as you did.

I'm male and I would have felt as fearful as you did.

Good point. Safety concerns do apply to everyone, particularly in a situation where you're worried about being robbed more than being attacked.

I didn't realize you were a lady!

But yeah, he was up to no good.

I don't really get scared by going out alone. But again I am 6'2" and 250lbs.

I always find myself trying to put women at ease when I happen to meet one in a parking garage or out in some isolated location. I look scary and I know that's the first thing that goes through their minds. So I normally at least try to say hello or maybe throw out a joke to try and put them at ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back