Women shooting alone in remote locations or at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have at least my Ruger LCP in my pocket. I'm in Houston, so I feel 100% better when I'm packing something.
In the winter, I can go with my 9mm, but our summer's are hot and we can't wear big clothing.

Alright, no more gun talk. OP has stated she isn't interested.

I concur on the self defense training. Just don't expect it to be that useful right away. Steer clear of the local self defense classes at the community center.

If you really want to be able to defend yourself with martial arts you need a real teacher and LOTS of dedication for years to come. Most forms of martial arts are not that effective when used by a beginner.

I would look into muay thai, hapkido and jujitsu as they can be very devastating to an attacker even at beginner levels.

Last edited:
I concur on the self defense training. Just don't expect it to be that useful right away. Steer clear of the local self defense classes at the community center.

If you really want to be able to defend yourself with martial arts you need a real teacher and LOTS of dedication for years to come. Most firms of martial arts are not that effective when used by a beginner.

I would look into may thai, hapkido and jujitsu as they can be very devastating to an attacker even at beginner levels.

I agree - a lot of self defense classes may ultimately be ineffective because they might teach you techniques, but when it comes to a real situation, those techniques go straight out of your head. If you really study, however, and let the habits and muscle memory form more completely, those techniques will be more useful because you won't forget them in your panic.

And now you made me curious to check what style of karate I studied. I know it wasn't tae kwan do but I couldn't remember the name of the style. A quick Google search jogged my memory: it was Isshin-ryu. I studied for about a year and much of that first year was learning stances and routines. There were useful tricks, however, that I still remember to this day. Luckily, I've never had to test them out.

I took Tae kwon do,my teacher was a maybe 5ft 2 Korean dude.When he did a spinning back kick and kicked a 70 pound work out Bag hanging off chains from the open ceiling rafters up almost as high as the rafters and it fell off the chain convinced me how deadly martial arts can be.This was a serious school, old school training with weapons.The gymnastic ability the body will develop was incredible.That was so long ago.I probably can't kick a hole in a paper plate now.LOL

Pass some this way!

My son signed us up for some kind of karate free 6 classes or something 25 yrs ago. He did it once, and I did go for the 6 weeks. Although, I was not into it, I did learn something.
There was a day that they taught us some beginner move that the prep would grab my wrists and I would perform my new move.
Well... When he grabbed me, it truthfully shocked me as I have never been grabbed before. (No sexual comments appropriate here)
I never caught onto the moves and left after my time. But it was an eye opener.

My FIL is sure the entire world is what happens in the first 10 minutes of his local news. Robberies, muggings, con men, etc. and never leaves the house.
Can not, will not live that way, but I try and be careful/aware.

Limr can be happy as it seems we have moved from guns to another form of self defense.
(You know I love ya Limr! )

I don't think I'm the only one who's happy about the change of subject :) And I snuck in a Star Wars reference, so all is right with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back