Wondering: D7000 vs D800 vs D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a D7000 and I am in love. I shoot weddings for a living and this camera paired with my Nikkor 70-200 works amazing. I recommend this camera for speed, where as for portraits and slower type shoots the 800 would be nice. If you arent big on changing alot of configurations, or if you dont understand alot of photography terms then I would pick the 7000 because it is easier to understand.

whaaaaaaat are you talking about, you tell me that you use and understand a d7000 and you would have a hard time working with a d700?

I just bought a D7000 and I am in love. I shoot weddings for a living and this camera paired with my Nikkor 70-200 works amazing. I recommend this camera for speed, where as for portraits and slower type shoots the 800 would be nice. If you arent big on changing alot of configurations, or if you dont understand alot of photography terms then I would pick the 7000 because it is easier to understand.

whaaaaaaat are you talking about, you tell me that you use and understand a d7000 and you would have a hard time working with a d700?

You should check out her site! She is definitely a "PRO"! ;) Ann Rogers St.Louis Wedding Photography

I believe Ann was referring to the D700 in comparison to the D800 which I agree is probably a better move than the D800.

To the OP I would highly reccommend the D700...not the D800 which is yet to be properly reviewed and is going to take more skill to produce images to it's capability whereas the D700 would be a logical move if you've outgrown your current body or wanted to move into FX. I have a D700 and have pre-ordered a D800 and will use both but if I didn't already have the D700 I would move that direction first.
Obviusly glass is more important that the body for without it doesn't matter how nice your sensor is....

There's no reason to continue on with the BS in this thread. Let's move on.

I believe Ann was referring to the D700 in comparison to the D800 which I agree is probably a better move than the D800. CHECK

To the OP I would highly reccommend the D700...not the D800 which is yet to be properly reviewed and is going to take more skill to produce images to it's capability whereas the D700 would be a logical move if you've outgrown your current body or wanted to move into FX. I have a D700 and have pre-ordered a D800 and will use both but if I didn't already have the D700 I would move that direction first.
Obviusly glass is more important that the body for without it doesn't matter how nice your sensor is.... AGREE

AGREE

You seem to take pride in your logic, yet you do not read thoroughly... Every single point you made is rendered moot if you had actually read my post.

I'm sure you want everyone to look at this and tell you how wonderful you are for posting it.

Here's where it falls apart.
Just because someone wants a camera that may be beyond reasonable capability, " What makes you think they can't figure it out?
It's not that hard you know. The camera is going to work by the same principles as any other camera. Time and light. It has always been so.
Yes, the camera may require higher end lenses to bring out the sensors true potential. Is it carved in stone that this cannot be obtained, by someone willing to put forth the effort?

Without the proper glass, yes actually. She plans on "eventually" obtaining better glass, thus she will "eventually" see improvement in her images. Nothing wrong with that, but like I said previously, why spend $3k to downgrade your images because you are not adequately prepared?

#2 All this mess about how this D800 is geared to studio work.
What about landscape? Ever think of that?
What about macro? I mean, 36 million pixels on a close up, that can be cropped and leave you with 30 million ( or whatever) for a larger size print without interpolation.
Why I just bet you anything you want to bet that I can make it work in these two afore mentioned categories.
If I can do it , or you can do it, " What makes you think others can't?

Please read again:

#3, you appear to believe that people can't learn, so it's best for them to stick with what you suggest.

Show me where I stated that people cannot learn? Please refrain from putting words into my mouth as it does not benefit this discussion.

I agree that a better camera doesn't mean better photos, but in this case it DOES equate to better image quality.

Actually, it doesn't. It equates to the possibility of better image quality, but the probability is close to nonexistent with a kit lens and a sensor that large, and no understanding of the precision that will be needed with the new design.
This is a joke.
It has to be.
I thought we already covered the part about upgrading lenses?
I think the point of being precise has been thoroughly covered in this segment of the " I know everything and what's best for everybody" Show.
It borders on going right back to suggesting something that you claim not to have suggested. That is, that the OP is nowhere near precise enough to use this camera.
That the OP could never in a million years grow with the camera and become precise with it.
Can you understand that when people spend their money, that they want what they want and not what you want them to have?
Is it that terribly hard to comprehend?
The reason I ask is because that's exactly what it boils down to.

Now I agree that the OP did ask for this advice, which I have also covered previously.
Which is why there is the broad spectrum of suggestions.
The OP has thrown caution to the wind and decided that the D800 is the camera for her.

Much like ballistics, I advocate spending the money ONCE. Rather than having buyers remorse/regret and making comments like , " I should have bought that d800.

As far as image quality from a full frame sensor being nonexistent, when compared to a croppy, I don't think I'll entertain the stupidity of THAT statement any longer.
So lets just get that right out of the way, right now.

And I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
I believe Ann was referring to the D700 in comparison to the D800 which I agree is probably a better move than the D800.

Obviusly glass is more important that the body for without it doesn't matter how nice your sensor is....

I wish I had read this before my last post. lol
Day late and a dollar short. Story of my life.

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was merely addressing the fact that you clearly did not read my post, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many redundancies.

I think it's time to admit that we all got trolled. :lol:

That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was merely addressing the fact that you clearly did not read my post, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many redundancies.

I think it's time to admit that we all got trolled. :lol:

lol
No hard feelins

I can imagine the file size when it comes to post processing lol...... You will need some serious RAM.

Yea I know... It's kinda off topic but popped into my head.

lol
No hard feelins

Right back at 'cha.

I can imagine the file size when it comes to post processing lol...... You will need some serious RAM.

Not when you are shooting in cropped mode because you have DX lenses :lol: :biglaugh:

That is true.
But man, memory is cheap.
Hard drives are cheap.
I mean if you're using anything less than a dual core processor with 4 gigs of memory and at least a 500 gig hard drive, you're way behind the times
as computing goes. Messing with cameras that produce large files, you'll have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.

Josh220 said:
Right back at 'cha.

Not when you are shooting in cropped mode because you have DX lenses :lol: :biglaugh:

It's a sick camera.... Aside from lenses, you'd probably need an upgrade in your processing power. I can imagine opening a raw file and your computer turns to molasses lol.

Lightspeed, I see your logic. If it were me( which it's not) I'd rather have a body with a variety of lenses. It's more productive than spend a lot on a body and only have 1 or 2 lenses. It gives more flexibility you know? I'd rather be out shooting than having a camera sit. Oh well. The OP has made her decision and hopefully it's something that she is content with, regardless of what has been said. After all, it's her money lol. Btw I do mean it without any envy at all.

LightSpeed said:
That is true.
But man, memory is cheap.
Hard drives are cheap.
I mean if you're using anything less than a dual core processor with 4 gigs of memory and at least a 500 gig hard drive, you're way behind the times
as computing goes. Messing with cameras that produce large files, you'll have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.

Haha. Speaking of which, I need to upgrade mine. I've had it for a while but it came with the specs you just posted. Time to hit up Tigerdirect.

OMG....you guys are just green with envy that someone other than you has the cashish to just go and do what they want....ANYONE can grow into a new body. ANYONE...but no one has to either....You make up a set of 'rules' like they are gospel or something...you still can't support her and help her enjoy her potential purchase. Its not that you won't..its that you can't....you don't have that generousity in you to be able to.

You are Doom and Gloom....

Thankfully...I own a Canon and don't need your toxic input.

I think she was a troll, and just wanted to get everyones knuckles up. When asked to provide pix for "eval" she totally ignored the question. She just made the switch from a "semi-pro" level Canon to a try decent Nikon body because "oh I dunno, need to know Nikon" why keep the d7000 as a back up if you already have a superior Canon backup? Not that all that means anything. I think you guys were bamboozled. Reminds me of that "how to be a pro photographer" video.

Last edited:
I'd not have posted pix either... I think everyone underestimated her. That's what my gut tells me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back